Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    It does not work very often, you'd simply have to get lucky for it to work in an all in or all out context. DCA is where it's at, along with risk management.

Aug 1 06:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    Hi Paul, i think Steven went all in, and then all out. He went in without a plan for market conditions. Not sure what he will up to next.

1929 example is certainly a cherry picked start date to show the effectiveness of dollar cost averaging in the worst conditions. it can leave money on the table as well of course.

Aug 1 06:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    Thanks Pharma, but that investor went into battle without a plan. I hope he does now take the time to get a plan, and evaluate the risks.

Aug 1 06:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    Thanks, still trying for one article per week, but summer is really busy with work and vacations and coaching ball.

Thanks for the read.

Aug 1 06:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    Thanks SDS, I just fear that many who have recently adopted dividend growth have not done a risk assessment, and they will react as most investors do, the dividends will be immaterial and little comfort to the inexperienced - they will react to noise, fear and that portfolio price drop. many over trade in a raging bull market with the lowest volatility we could ever imagine. it will be interesting, and unfortunate.

Aug 1 06:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    Yes, I wrote an article on that period, and I think I entitled it...what to do when nothing works. I'm thinking the permanent portfolio would have worked, or would work somewhat in that environment.

That said, I loved the 70's. I was a kid oblivious to money and investing.

Aug 1 06:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    In registered accounts there is a reciprocal tax treaty between the U.S. and Canada with respect to dividends.
    This from a John Heizl article in the Globe.
    Mind the taxesU.S. dividends don’t qualify for the Canadian dividend tax credit, so if you hold your U.S. stocks in a non-registered account, you’ll pay tax at your full marginal rate.What’s more, in a non-registered account you’ll face a 15-per-cent U.S. withholding tax on the dividend. You can usually recoup this amount as a foreign tax credit on your return, but the bottom line is that most people will end up paying the same tax rate on U.S. dividends as they do on interest or other income.Choose your account carefullyYou can avoid taxes on U.S. dividends if you hold your U.S. stocks in a retirement account such as a registered retirement savings plan (RRSP), registered retirement income fund (RRIF) or locked-in retirement account (LIRA). That’s because, under the Canada-U.S. tax treaty, accounts that provide retirement or pension income are non-taxable.
    Aug 1 06:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    Great post, I have that article How Long Can You Afford To Be Under Water. It shows the time under for certain allocations. Charts in that article plot the balanced portfolios vs the market and the path to recovery.

A 50/50 was under water for 2.5 years in the last correction.

Aug 1 06:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    GLD shows 4% gain for 2008 and a 24% gain in 2009. Nice

Aug 1 06:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    jimicasey see my articles on TLT and the inverse relationship to the markets, especially in 2008- 2009.

We saw TLT offering gains of 40% when the markets tanked 40-50%. What a great rebalancing opportunity - it creates dry powder out of thin air. A broad based bond index such as AGG held up and offered a modest spike in price.

Even a modified Permanent Portfolio of SPY AGG and GLD would have delivered 7% in 2008-2009, without rebalancing.

Very simple to protect portfolio value with defense as well.

Aug 1 06:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    Thanks, I will certainly have a read.
    Aug 1 06:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Stocks Catch The Bonds - 6.5 Years Later [View article]
    I think BB wrote it was a back test, not actual returns. Would be interested in the actual numbers though :)

Jul 31 09:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Strong Are The Dividends At Tupperware Brands? [View article]
    Haven't been following this company, why did it get whacked?
    Jul 30 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inter Pipeline: This Dividend Growth Company Is On A Tear And It's Not Over Yet [View article]
    Lots of energy and dividend growth in the main TSX 60, all one really needs on the equity side for Canada, for a core position.

Canada is a sector play.

Jul 30 07:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    This from the Globe n energy ETF's ...

Jul 28 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment