Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • UPS - An Old 'Dog' That Can Still Jump [View article]
    Great article and premise. Thanks. Someone has to ship all the 'stuff' purchased on the internet .

But as your write. Entry point is everything.
    Dec 3, 2012. 07:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Currency Protection From U.S. Multinationals? [View article]
    Canada batting lead off in BlackRock's places to invest for safety, grwoth and currency diversification...

Dec 3, 2012. 07:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry, Your Dividends Are Not Coming Home Any Time Soon [View article]
    I hear ya. I'm also all about the Europeans. But I can never beat Creemore from Ontario.

Nov 27, 2012. 02:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry, Your Dividends Are Not Coming Home Any Time Soon [View article]
    Ha. That's true.

I actually get to watch lots of great hockey. Both of my kids play rep level. My son was actually a Young Bruin until this year. Loved seeing him in the Black and Gold. I'm a Boston fan as well, after the Laughs. My Uncle was a cameraman for Channel 5? 7? in Boston.

Off to the rink tonight of course, to play the Bruins, coincidentally.
    Nov 27, 2012. 02:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry, Your Dividends Are Not Coming Home Any Time Soon [View article]
    Hi Elle, not sure what your numbers are there. Wondering what the number is, ha? And how it is correlated to gdp growth, if at all.

Thanks for the comment and input.
    Nov 27, 2012. 02:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry, Your Dividends Are Not Coming Home Any Time Soon [View article]
    Actually I do like a few American brews. Yuengling from PA is one of my favourites and Sam Adams makes a few great ones. Many great beers in the US once you get past the majors...
    Nov 27, 2012. 02:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Which Is More Important - Dividend Yield Or Total Return? [View article]
    Either can work. In fact, I've held gold equities and more 'real' gold in a materials fund. Through 2009-2011 I sold some of those holdings (on doubles or more) and instantly turned those proceeds into 5-7% income products.

But what that proves, is that total return can also be the most important measure. If that gets you to the income finish line faster. Then it was 'better'. You can time an asset class that is enjoying its day in the sun. If you only have one asset class, you might have to wait.
    Nov 27, 2012. 11:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Investment Ideas From IEA's World Energy Outlook [View article]
    Great article. Thanks for all of the research and analysis.

As a Canadian I will weigh in. And on weight, remember Canada has the second largest oil desposits (est) on the planet after the Saudi's.

Exposure to the oil sands is worth looking at. Suncor and Cenovus, Canadian Natural Resources and Canadian Oil Sands and others. Plus Crescent Point is a wonderful play on Bakken light crude. Great dividend and long-term assets.

Plus the Canadian pipelines and utilities have served many investors (including me) very very well. Enbridge and TransCanada pipelines. One day Obama will be out of office. Actually, he'll probably turn on his Greenies now that he has already spent their money.

And I agree with your above picks.

This is predictable trend worth playing long-term.
    Nov 25, 2012. 05:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sony: A Cautionary Tale For Any Portfolio [View article]
    Hey Roger, you have the wrong ticker for Sony. Should be SNE. Sanofi though might be a better bet? Ha.
    Nov 25, 2012. 05:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend History: The Scaredy Cat Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks for that.
    Nov 24, 2012. 02:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Microsoft Could Be The Perfect Stock For Income Investors [View article]
    Some numbers ... the software giant posted a profit of $4.47bn on revenues of $16bn for Q1 of its fiscal 2013 – not great compared to the $5.74bn profit it brought in during the same period the previous year, but certainly better than the $192m loss it reported for Q4 of 2012.

Windows sales remained slow throughout Q1. Microsoft reported just $3.24bn in revenues for its Windows and Windows Live Division, a dizzying 33 per cent decline from the previous year's figure.

Microsoft needs a hit or two. Apparently Surface sales are sluggish as well. Plus the consumer brand if weak. They have no cool.
    Nov 23, 2012. 08:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Microsoft Could Be The Perfect Stock For Income Investors [View article]
    IMHO I think you'd be buying (and crossing your fingers) on the hope that they would be successful with R&D. Not a classic dividend cash machine.

What are the recurring revenues from the Windows products? And what is the trend? I think that would be the most useful piece of information for your article, and the dividend investor.
    Nov 23, 2012. 06:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Elle, there certainly is some inflation protection or coverage. Would like to do some research on dividend cagr and inflation. it was very high for a many years of course - inflation that is.

Thanks for the long-term view.
    Nov 20, 2012. 12:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks J.A., I hope I outline the risks or possible limitations clearly, and that these are mature companies to say the least. I agree that the trick would be to identify and capture the gains of the aristocrats - perhaps as well.

It's likely about 'balance' and that there may be a place for these SCVIG stalwarts in the portfolios of many DG Investors.

I hope DG investors find this overview useful.
    Nov 20, 2012. 08:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Beware The False God Of The Dividend [View article]
    Great article Greg. I'm a big fan of critical thinking, and the contrarian. That said, your premise is true.

And I certainly have nothing against dividends, so perhaps both sides are right here?

But that's no reason to stop the fight.

Ding!