Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Dividend Growth Investors, Prepare To Boost Your Returns [View article]
    Thanks Gratian, your last comment is telling, the market does seem to gain force like a whirlpool and powers of attraction, before finally fizzling out. Let's hope many prepare and reflect.

Aug 27, 2014. 06:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Hates Bonds, Loves Cash [View article]
    Hi Brad, everyone should benchmark. If an investors is not beating their benchmark they are leaving money on the table. It does not seem to make a lot of sense to keep under performing the market(s), when one can buy the market with one ticker(s). Why make less that what is offered?

That is one of the 'other' greatest missed opportunities, stock picking. Most do not get the returns of the market as we know. Much of why can be applied to stock pickers and indexers admittedly when the reason for under performance is taking on too much risk.

Aug 27, 2014. 06:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Hates Bonds, Loves Cash [View article]
    thanks RLJ, Buffet outperforms during all cycles, but it is more pronounced during down years. I will try and find that article link.

Aug 27, 2014. 05:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tim Hortons: How To View The Transaction From A Shareholder And Merger Arbitrage Perspective [View article]
    My payment was to cash out in full. Private equity and slash and burn does not mix with great branding imho. Got someone to pay me way more that than this mix is worth.

Made a good sum on this over the last several years.

Aug 26, 2014. 06:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Selling My Tim Hortons Was A No-Brainer. [View article]
    It will likely mess things up, but it may take a while. Great brands take investment in many areas. Great branding doesn't scream here I am on a balance sheet. I doubt they will leave things alone.

That's why we are out now 100%.

Aug 26, 2014. 06:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Selling My Tim Hortons Was A No-Brainer. [View article]
    Thanks Van, it is very surprising that they would even consider linking up with that kind of firm. Talk about oil and water. There will be interesting times.

Aug 26, 2014. 06:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Selling My Tim Hortons Was A No-Brainer. [View article]
    Thanks Dan, it's likely all short term(ish). They will come and make their buck - maybe they already did and then leave. Hopefully the brand and company will still be in good standing when they are done.

Or perhaps I am totally wrong. ha. But either way the company is not worth the price today.

Now I have a good cash pile of profits to invest.

Aug 26, 2014. 06:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Selling My Tim Hortons Was A No-Brainer. [View article]
    And just sold the rest. Sniff, sniff.

Aug 26, 2014. 03:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett to finance Burger King's acquisition of Tim Hortons [View news story]
    I am surprised that Warren never invested in Tim Hortons. It has most everything that he looks for. The moat for Tims is extreme, the brand is the strongest in Canada. They sell 8 out of every 10 cups of quick serve coffee.

But once again, I hope this all falls through, I had no trouble selling 2/3 of my Tim's position yesterday at an outrageous price. I hope someone comes along and offers me even more for the remaining 1/3. Though I do love my Timmie's.

There's no way BK understands a brand or what they would have. Slash and burn would go against how to build a sustainable brand and business.

Aug 26, 2014. 06:40 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Burger King And Tim Hortons: If You Can't Beat Them, Join Them [View article]
    Yup. Seems like a no brainer. I don't want anything to do with BK. If it falls through someone just paid me an inflated price on news. Tims would then revert to its previous price area. Not what I had in mind for Tims, was hoping to hold for 10-20 years.

Hopefully this does not go through.

Aug 25, 2014. 04:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Burger King In Talks To Buy Tim Hortons [View article]
    Ha, sold two-thirds, we'll see if someone wants to pay me an even more outrageous price for the remainder.

Aug 25, 2014. 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Burger King And Tim Hortons: If You Can't Beat Them, Join Them [View article]
    Sold two thirds of my THI. So glad I'm more of an indexer. Though I only held 4 individual stocks, ha, now I might be down to 3. Great gains. About 35% in two weeks.

Aug 25, 2014. 10:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Burger King And Tim Hortons: If You Can't Beat Them, Join Them [View article]
    Terrible news for Tim shareholders. Tim's is a great company and brand, the strongest brand in Canada, arguably. BK appears to be a 'terrible' company. No brand up here at all. Dirty, poor service, old locations.

I will sadly take my money and run if this is for real.

Aug 25, 2014. 09:31 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Burger King In Talks To Buy Tim Hortons [View article]
    Terrible. As Steve Miller wrote... "take the money and run".

Aug 25, 2014. 09:10 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Burger King In Talks To Buy Tim Hortons [View article]
    Ahhh man, leave my Tim's alone. I would have no idea of what to do with BKW, it's horrible in Canada, so that does not leave a good impression. I might have to sell most, but I guess the stock price will get a nice boost.

Taxation seems a horrible reason to buy a company.

Aug 25, 2014. 08:02 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment