Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • VYM Increases Its Dividend 20%: ETF Portfolio Increases Its Lead Over The Stock Pickers [View article]
    Hi Dondemon appreciate your comments and critique as well.

Certainly the objective of David's portfolio and the ETF portfolio was clear, income growth.

And if you follow my series of articles on income growth for very asset mixes you should see that it was evolutionary and exploratory and I reported where and when it did or did not work. Mostly where it did not work.

I was simply fixing what did not work (falling income) vs growing income of dividends.

The portfolio mix in this article is a very simply traditional income asset mix that an income investor will commonly create. See Bob Johnson's articles.

In fact this one is likely not that good or nuanced, or let's say not maximized for that approach. I paid little attention to MERs or yield. I simply took CVY as it was in one basket for spreadsheet ease. One could certainly beat my mix on income generation. There are many great articles on SA for options (both ETF or company selections) for REITs, MLPs, BDCs, Preferreds and bond offerings that appear somewhat superior to my selections.

I picked three ETFs and ran the numbers. I did no substitutions or exploration(s). I would have reported the numbers and submitted the articles no matter what the results. Heck it took me days, I would want to get a few clicks and dollars, ha.

I have no emotional connection to the results or what performs better. It is simply very useful exploration and comparison. Many investors don't have the ability or time to stock select, and may need ETF ideas. It is useful to know what works and what doesn't. That's why I did the whole 'series'.

More to follow. We do need to separate the accumulation and distribution phases. Much work and writing needs to be done on that front.

Thanks again, Dale
    Feb 20, 2014. 06:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Boom Boom I was comparing ETFs to a DGI portfolio on total return. Perhaps investors should then simply select from that list? Was that a short term event due to the popularity of DG?

Again not seeing any beat by those who selected their own portfolios (and manage or micro manage the income). Some of the numbers are not that good as well. It is the management (active) vs passive that is worth evaluation.

More to follow on other public portfolios and those who post their results.
    Feb 20, 2014. 06:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Bob, I agree with all you write. There can be advantages of stock selecting to meet needs, as I do suggest in the article. That said, the execution seems to be the tough part.
    Feb 20, 2014. 06:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, I did acknowledge the increase year over year, in the article.
    Feb 20, 2014. 06:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Three Stocks [View article]
    Thanks rog, it's their own brand developed for them, and it is fair trade coffee from what I remember. They are a very socially aware company.

The coffee (beans) are quite decent but certainly not high end. Most taste buds prefer a medium blend, and not too harsh. North Americans also typically add lots of cream and sugar. This is brewed for every-man/woman. And it's always Fresh. They mark the time brewed on their pots and throw it out after 20 minutes, if there is any to throw out.

But yes the cup is embraced for than held. It's a decent cup of coffee, but the story here is the love of the brand that is quite unique.

Remember Tim's is up there with hockey and health care for Canadians.
    Feb 20, 2014. 06:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Three Stocks [View article]
    Hi Rock n Roll, I am no expert on valuations or individual stocks. But my gut says if you like a company, and you are in for the very long term you might initiate a position and keep at it. Investors always then get their opportunity to buy on the cheap. A steady consumer 'staple' might hold up a little better in a correction. Tim's fell by about half of that of the tsx 60 in the recession.

I am just an indexer who knows one company well enough to buy. See Cramer if you want stock picks based on about 45 seconds worth of reflection. lol

All told it's a great company/brand.
    Feb 20, 2014. 05:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Three Stocks [View article]
    I heard they were all by accident, and there were many more, but written out of the pilot script. My Six Sons is hard to say.
    Feb 19, 2014. 04:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Three Stocks [View article]
    Yes, first Tim's were in Hamilton I beleive. Company was created more by the police officer partner Ron Joyce than anyone else. He retired when sold to Wendy's.
    Feb 19, 2014. 02:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Three Stocks [View article]
    Thanks for that. Chances are the same... just more people in Toronto. It's all 1 in 10 chances across the country. They are very careful about where the prizes go, equally.
    Feb 19, 2014. 11:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Three Stocks [View article]
    Yes but McDonald's has that brand power, like Coke and Apple and Google and Nike and others. Brands are powerful.

One of my favourite commercials is called "First Ride". A young girl stumbles on her bike after Dad takes off the training wheels. She finally gets going and takes off and keeps goingl Dad yells "Where you going?" She squeels back "McDooooonnnnaaaallldd...
    Feb 19, 2014. 10:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Three Stocks [View article]
    Hi almost completely different audience there. Not really competition. Tim's introduced espresso drinks but that's not necessarily the Tim guys' cup of tea.

Certainly room for both in Canada.
    Feb 19, 2014. 10:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Three Stocks [View article]
    Yes and a few other teams. One of the strongest men to ever play the game. From Northern Ontario, my uncle and Dad played against him.
    Feb 19, 2014. 10:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Three Stocks [View article]
    Thanks SouthGent. Looks like a good investment. Yes, it is strange on the U.S. dollar. Canada has essentially balanced its budget. Holding off till election year for announcement.
    Feb 19, 2014. 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Three Stocks [View article]
    Thanks. I was using the Canadian spelling.

Just kidding. I will have that corrected.
    Feb 19, 2014. 09:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Three Stocks [View article]
    Would add I am currently enjoying my free Latte from Tims. They are currently having their Roll Up The Rim to Win contest. It is the most successful promotional program in Canadian retail history.

Customers roll up the rim to see if they have won a prize. Many prizes from coffees to perpaid Visa cards to Toyota Corolla's.
    Feb 19, 2014. 09:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment