Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Inter Pipeline: This Dividend Growth Company Is On A Tear And It's Not Over Yet [View article]
    Canadian Oil Sands is in there as well.
    Jul 28, 2014. 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi, it's in ishares XEI along with Pembina as a top 10(ish) holding.

Jul 28, 2014. 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day I Sold Everything [View article]
    Hi Soleil, simply invest at the level of stocks to bonds (volatility level) that you are comfortable with, and invest on a regular schedule. Buy the indexes and stay the course. Investing is one of the most simple things we can do in life. And the simplicity can reap great rewards.

Jul 28, 2014. 07:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day I Sold Everything [View article]
    Hi, I would never (or rarely) look at bonds in isolation, it's about that interesting dynamic between stocks and bonds. And there's very little risk in a bond ladder, good quality individual bonds, or the ongoing purchase of a broad based bond fund.

The bonds would be there to manage risk, that is paramount for most investors, and the author of this article as well.

Bonds allow many investors to take on that equity risk (and potential of higher returns). The balanced portfolio is always in style.

Jul 27, 2014. 08:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Glad to hold inter pipe in a canadian dividend etf. I only own four stocks in addition to indexes. Two are Canadian pipes (energy) TransCanada and Enbridge, they have treated me so well. I kept cutting them in half but they keep growing back like weeds. And I took the dividends elsewhere.

Thanks for the article on a solid Canadian company.

Jul 27, 2014. 07:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does Higher Dividend Growth Lead To Higher Dividend Income? [View article]
    And of course I mean historical PE and payout ratios. It may be too late for some of these if they have had such a run.

Jul 25, 2014. 07:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does Higher Dividend Growth Lead To Higher Dividend Income? [View article]
    Thanks Robert, yes I did notice the title. But is this were an actual portfolio I think you would have noticed the ten plus bagger? And if an investor had turned $100,000 into well over a million dollars they would notice, and many would be wise to perhaps sell several hundred thousand dollars worth of those shares. But always to each his or her own.

Thanks for the research idea for an article in the works. Again, I would guess you hit on some attractive PE's and low payout ratio with this research. But again it has survivor bias. That said if one buys enough of 'em in the low payout ratio or dividend initiators and has enough survivors, the total portfolio might do quite well on the income and total return camp.

Jul 25, 2014. 07:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Stocks Catch The Bonds - 6.5 Years Later [View article]
    Thanks wnb, that is incredible - magic. DCA is pure simple common sense, especially when we are at higher valuations.

I will have a look for that book, if don't have it in our Tangerine Library I will certainly order it.

Jul 23, 2014. 06:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Stocks Catch The Bonds - 6.5 Years Later [View article]
    Thanks for that, money will have to flow somewhere. Many write that one should be prepared for very mediocre returns over the next decade.

Again I think there will be opportunities that will occur when the stock markets go on sale. It will come down to how much dry powder do we have to go shopping, by the way of cash, or from rebalancing out of bonds or bond funds.

For now I am on dollar cost averaging at just over 50% stocks, and new monies from portfolio income move into stocks only. No need to guess from here, just wait.

You might enjoy my article on historical performance of bond ladders, there is a sweet spot.

The average return for a 5-year Treasury ladder was 4.1% in a protracted bear market. Not great, but solid and surprising.

Laddering bonds and dollar cost averaging on stocks can make investing ridiculously simple and can create positive returns with lower risk in any environment (historically speaking).

Jul 23, 2014. 06:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Stocks Catch The Bonds - 6.5 Years Later [View article]
    Thank you so much, the country much nicer than I am. Ha. I love the States (if that's where you reside) we just traveled to Quebec City (yes I know that's in Canada) and then off to Bar Harbor Maine. Absolutely gorgeous.

Love that part of the world. Beautiful coastline.

Jul 23, 2014. 06:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 4 Types Of 'Dead Money' [View article]
    yes techy, cash is one of the most useful of asset classes, and essential for most investors. In retirement it is also one of the most important assets.

Investing (for most) is about asset classes and the movement of those funds between assets, including stocks and bonds and cash (and other classes for sure)... as per Mr. Benjamin Graham. These days Ben would likely be in the 50% equities to 50% bonds and cash, with rebalancing at 5% moves. He'd likely be in the 75% bonds if yields were anywhere more attractive.

Jul 19, 2014. 08:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Don't Matter In Retirement Either [View article]
    Hi Nick, there may be a price to pay for printing tens of trillions of dollars, and having tens of trillions of dollars of unfunded liabilities. The U.S. could experience a dollar crisis? Who knows?

Protect with Canadian and international holdings, plus investigate a way to perhaps hold cash in other currencies.

Something's gotta give eventually, you'd think. But the markets are the markets and they will do what they want to do, even the currency markets.
    Jul 18, 2014. 09:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Don't Matter In Retirement Either [View article]
    Hi Vinnie, I think they can be great for providing income and diversification - they can help lower the portfolio's overall volatility, while delivering that nice income stream. Though they will likely hold some assets that are not typical inflation beaters.

The trick might be to also include a growth aspect, and that may simply be a U.S. index, I would suggest some international exposure as well.

VTI might be a nice option for U.S. One might go dividend growth with VIG, VDIGX, or the dividend aristocrats, or SDY etc.

Perhaps look at a modest amount to Canada and perhaps EAFE for international.

Currency diversification may be the play of the decade (or next decade) for U.S. investors.

Jul 18, 2014. 07:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Don't Matter In Retirement Either [View article]
    Thanks glin, no I am not building to anything, just exploring and hopefully learning how to help clients and sharing that with SA.

I think DG is a wonderful risk management tool and a value or earnings power finder, it can help many (who probably should not be self directing their portfolios) stay out of trouble.

I found it quite interesting how simple the retirement phase can be as well.

Jul 18, 2014. 07:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Don't Matter In Retirement Either [View article]
    You can have it, for free. ha.

Jul 18, 2014. 06:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment