Dalrymple Finance

View Dalrymple Finance's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Jaguar Mining: Predator Or Prey? [View article]
    Hmm? Does the CEO quit on the eve of a sale?
    Dec 7 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Onyx Pharmaceuticals And Jaguar Mining: Are Either Worth A Gamble? [View article]
    Is JAG trading like a stock that has received a legitimate offer at $9.30?
    Nov 29 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mix Europe's pullback from the abyss with pent-up capital pouring into the beaten-down materials sector, and you get huge spikes in economically sensitive companies. Alcoa (AA +9%) adds $1B in market cap today, as investors pounce on shares that had shed 34% YTD. Other big winners: DOW +8% despite a disappointing Q3 report, FCX +8.7%, DD +5.5%.  [View news story]
    Where is all this "pent up capital" coming from?
    Oct 27 03:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Along with turning negative on Motorola Mobility (MMI), Credit Suisse flips on Research In Motion (RIMM +5.5%), downgrading to Neutral - and CS was one of the last remaining RIM bulls. "Innovation is coming too slowly," the firm says, and RIM could be punished if and when Apple (AAPL) comes out with its rumored low-end iPhone.  [View news story]
    Well, that's a timely call on RIMM.
    Jun 21 01:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Evaluating the Clouds Overshadowing A-Power Energy Generation Systems [View article]
    Wow, when I saw that there were 33 comments on the article, I didn't expect 26 of them to be from one individual. Always something new on SA.
    Jun 21 01:10 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Feihe International's Rough Financial Position [View article]
    I guess you have changed your tune since you published this a few months back: "I was at first caught flat footed this summer when the cyber smears on Chinese stocks started to occur in earnest" in reference to CEU and Kerrisdale's report.
    Apr 7 12:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does GLD Have the Proper Amount of Gold in Its Vault? [View article]
    If you believe the answer is "yes, without hesitation", I would suggest that you print out the prospectus for a nice weekend read. The prospectus has a lot of qualifiers. It may at the very least make you hesitate. After all, it is the ambiguity of the prospectus has helped create the parallel industry of physical ETFs.
    Apr 1 03:38 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Westway Group: An Undiscovered Infrastructure Play [View article]
    Chris, thanks for the comments on how Westway is perceived in New Orleans. That is interesting color - I like to hear it.
    Jan 14 04:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China-Based ADR IPO Activity Heats Up [View article]
    When has record IPOs (in any market niche) not been a good contrary indicator?
    Dec 3 03:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why the Fall of Syswin's IPO Underlines China's Realty Bubble [View article]
    You have provided a lot of detail. It' s interesting and insightful - good job.
    Nov 25 11:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ETF Strategies: Build It Yourself, Or Have a Fund Company Do It? [View article]
    I think the argument is much stronger for exactly the opposite of what you say. The last several years have precisely rewarded those with blunt strategies. Stock picking, for example, has not been the winning strategy. As correlations have soared, the blunt issue of net exposure has been more important. Further, other blunt macro calls such as short dollar, long precious metals, long emerging markets have been successful. It hasn't matter so much what metal or what emerging market or what currency. IMO, these are very blunt, not narrow calls.

You mentioned you had good luck with rymfx. Looking at it, it must have been just that - luck. For the most part it has lost money over the last several years. Not being correlated is nice; it's also pointless if you lose money at the end of the day.
    Nov 24 04:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chinese Reverse Mergers: Beware of Accounting Problems [View article]

Wow, I didn't expect such a reaction.

I didn't cry wolf on all Chinese stocks. The point is that there are a lot of problems with this particular type of Chinese security in general. With this case in particular, the accounting problem was publicly acknowledged for months – I don’t think I’m so smart for finding it as connorport says. All I did was read the SEC filings and make some basic, reasonable assumptions. The question is, given the general problems with the type of security and the public problems here, why do investors buy/support the stock? I didn't know the answer when I wrote the article and with the negative comments I see above, the question is even more perplexing.

As for the comment saying that not one thing has been proven about these Chinese companies. That is simply false. In particular, the one company I wrote on here, TXIC, has no audit for 2009 because their auditors refuse to sign it as the company wants it presented. Fact. Additionally, RINO, another disaster, recently came out and stated that they expected that 20-40% of their contracts were problematic. I’d say that company admission of guilt qualifies as “proof”.

This article was intended as an anatomy of a disaster – I don’t know why that isn’t obvious. With the stock is down 80% YTD while FXI is roughly flat, this story is basically over.
    Nov 24 06:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bernanke finds a friend: Barney Frank, chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, who says he is "appalled" that Republicans are “joining the central bank of China in attacking Bernanke." The Fed's asset purchase program is “very reasonable" and is not fueling inflation, Frank says.  [View news story]
    Barney Frank is correct. The Fed is not fueling inflation. He just forgot to tack a "yet" on to the end of the sentence. Additionally, we should always exclude the volatile food and energy when viewing inflation...
    Nov 22 02:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Underwhelming Irish Bailout [View article]
    I don't know if insulating the creditors from risk and transferring the obligation to the tax payers is at odds with ancient Celtic culture or not, but it certainly seems to have become an exceedingly popular way to deal with the crisis on both sides of the Atlantic. In the case of Ireland, I'm sure that the German and French holders of Irish debt are delirious.
    Nov 22 05:41 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Confessions of a Secret Dollar Bull [View article]
    Sorry Aranda, but it wasn't me who started labeling Spain a peripheral country - I'm just following recent convention. You may want to go complain to the Financial Times.

www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ee5...