Dan McMurtrie

View Dan McMurtrie's Comments BY TICKER:

• Frontline - A Misunderstood Entity With Enormous Upside [View article]
    Quick question: where are you getting the number for shares issued in March?
    Apr 13, 2015. 08:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Record Levels Of Oil In Storage Foreshadowing Opportunity In Tankers [View article]
    They are available in the SEC filings for SFL and FRO, but you have to go back to when they originally formed the agreement to see the terms. Then the updates are provided when the FRO restructuring happened.
    Mar 3, 2015. 02:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MagnaChip: Very Attractive Risk-Reward - 58% Upside With Little Downside [View article]
    I'm am not so sure. The issue that everyone seems to be forgetting is that on Feb 14/15, if they haven't filed their Q's they will default on their bonds. So when they say they might file by January 30, 2015, and then subsequently will file Q's, they're really only giving themselves 14 or 15 days, which is scary because this company has gone into bankruptcy before and wiped out equity holders. It could happen again very easily.

There is, however, an outside chance that the 2013 10-K would display some ability to cover the 225mm in debt. But I'm doubtful of that.
    Nov 13, 2014. 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Encouraging Quarter, Ironwood One To Keep On The Radar In 2014 [View article]
    How does IRWD ever break even with SGYP on their tail? I'm not seeing a sustainable economic moat here... The only positive is that they've got a pile of cash as far as I can see.
    May 6, 2014. 01:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Gilead Rebuttal [View article]
    The other matter with GILD specifically is the hearing with IDIX tomorrow in Washington. It's not something I'm worried about, but I believe it may explain some of the selling today outside of market and sector betas.
    Jan 6, 2014. 02:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buyout Bedlam: Michael Dell Vs. Carl Icahn Vs. Blackstone [View article]
    If the buyout fails then DELL will likely implode in the short term. Long equity, long puts may be a good move if you want to trade DELL right now.
    Apr 24, 2013. 03:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buyout Bedlam: Michael Dell Vs. Carl Icahn Vs. Blackstone [View article]
    It's a real shitshow this point in time. I'm worried that the amount of controversy on this deal has seriously damaged DELL's business as clients have shied away from a supplier that could potentially face major shifts.

BX walking away isn't too surprising considering the amount of opposition they faced, but Carl Icahn is still a wildcard. Mike Dell seriously misjudged the ease with which this deal would go through, and he's paying for it.

My advice is to sell and walk away. It's very hard to get a grip on what is going to happen in the near future. There are many other good investments out there with very strong growth potential. I would check out GILD and VRTX. This trade is one that I've taken a hit on.
    Apr 24, 2013. 03:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Avoid The Worst Sector ETFs [View article]
    Great article! I think it would make your pieces a lot better if you could include a bit about the fund managers behind the instruments, or at least the index construction. Structured products are never as objective as they claim to be...

RXL is a beast and I'll continue to pay them a point for sixty points if they perform.
    Apr 9, 2013. 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Caveat Emptor Beckons [View article]
    Great article!
    Apr 4, 2013. 03:50 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Supreme Court Deals A Blow To John Wiley & Sons' Margins [View article]
    Very cool story. Physical book arbitrage... It would never have occurred to me to do that.
    Mar 25, 2013. 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Supreme Court Deals A Blow To John Wiley & Sons' Margins [View article]
    Mar 25, 2013. 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buyout Bedlam: Michael Dell Vs. Carl Icahn Vs. Blackstone [View article]
    I think it is in free fall, but I don't think that matters.
    Mar 19, 2013. 05:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buyout Bedlam: Michael Dell Vs. Carl Icahn Vs. Blackstone [View article]
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Honestly DELL is probably the company I have the lowest degree of mastery of, but that just goes to show how far actual research will get you. Wait until I publish some pieces on BBRY, NOK, AAPL, and GILD. You'll get a kick out of them I'm sure.

Johnson has hopped from place to place. There's no loyalty there.
    Mar 19, 2013. 03:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buyout Bedlam: Michael Dell Vs. Carl Icahn Vs. Blackstone [View article]
    Thank you! I try to do really deep due diligence, and this deal is a great example of how poor most existing research is.

At this point I think the most likely outcomes are either Blackstone or Icahn buying DELL and selling it off in pieces to HPQ, Lenovo, etc.
    Mar 19, 2013. 03:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dell (DELL) gains 2.1% AH on word Blackstone may be part of a group mulling a bid for the company. The P-E firm is among those who signed a non-disclosure agreement earlier this month, allowing it to get a close look at Dell's books. [View news story]
    Exactly like I wrote it:

Pt 1: http://seekingalpha.co...

Pt 2 : http://seekingalpha.co...
    Mar 18, 2013. 08:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment