Dan Naumov

View Dan Naumov's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Box sets IPO price range, aims for ~$1.4B valuation [View news story]
    I am a very heavy user of iCloud and Dropbox. I am also paying 0$/month for either. What can BOX offer me?
    Jan 10, 2015. 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cunningham, Berkshire Beyond Buffett [View article]
    "I can't be involved in 50 or 75 things. That's a Noah's Ark way of investing - you end up with a zoo that way. I like to put meaningful amounts of money in a few things."

So why does Berkshire hold stakes or outright own more than 80 companies?
    Dec 29, 2014. 06:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Ensco Cut Dividends? [View article]
    Statistics show that as a whole, stocks that have cut their dividends significantly underperform the broader market over the next 12 months.
    Dec 8, 2014. 05:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Go Where It Is Darkest: When Company, Country, Currency And Commodity Risk Collide! [View article]
    I wonder what the author thinks about Sberbank?
    Nov 21, 2014. 02:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hasbro-DreamWorks deal fizzles [View news story]
    Supposedly the talks died off due to the way the rumor was received by Wall Street. Now if only I knew which one company I am supposed to avoid based on the fact how much they care over Wall Street thinks over what makes business sense.
    Nov 15, 2014. 01:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When Opportunity Knocks, It's Wise To Open The Door - Low Valuation Trumps Growth [View article]
    The problem with saying that "IBM is shareholder-friendly" is that the $20 EPS target was completely arbitrary and it could be argued that it was a huge detriment to generating long-term shareholder value, because the company has been utterly gutted by "cost-cutting".
    Oct 25, 2014. 10:03 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett's Bad Day [View article]
    Since when is McDonalds a core holding (or ANY holding) of Warren Buffett?
    Oct 22, 2014. 09:04 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LUKOIL's Polar Bears Are Lost In The Arctic [View article]
    If the accusations against Yevtushenkov are correct, why did the accusations start now and not back when Sistema purchased the stake (which was in 2007 if I recall correctly)?

I might have an answer to that question: back when Sistema bought into Bashneft, a lot of people made fun of Yevtushenkov, saying he had overpayed by 50-100% for the acquired assets. Several years passed and now that the assets have actually been developed and suddenly look like a fantastic cash cow, everybody's tone has changed with Yevtushenkov being branded a "thief" for having previously acquired the assets for a price that NOW seems like a steal.

As for "other than Yukos and Bashneft, have there been any other situations like this since Putin came to power?" - No, I am not aware of other similar cases, but these 2 are more than enough for me. If it was just Yukos, I could've lived with it, thinking that it was a long time ago and that things are different now. But now with the Yevtushenkov / Sistema situation, it's very clear that things are not only not different, they are actually worse, since even loyalty to Kremlin doesn't keep you safe now.
    Sep 30, 2014. 08:44 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LUKOIL's Polar Bears Are Lost In The Arctic [View article]
    Vagit Alekperov is no Khodorkovsky, but neither was Yevtushenkov. Yet, it seems that Yevtushenkov will be losing his Bashneft assets. I've previously written bullish articles about Lukoil on SA, but I no longer own it, because the Sistema/Bashneft debacle was a complete game-changer.
    Sep 29, 2014. 06:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Forest Vs. The Trees Of The Offshore Drilling Industry [View article]
    Differentiating factors are fleet age, safety records and balance sheets. I am long ESV because it's the least levered member of it's peer group, allowing it to better widthstand an industry downturn and potentially scoop up some competitors on the cheap if they get into real trouble.
    Sep 14, 2014. 02:06 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's the Charlie Munger show at Daily Journal annual meeting [View news story]
    Musk. I think he is trying to say that it's scary what you get when you combine very high intellect with absolutely outrageous passion, determination and perseverance.
    Sep 11, 2014. 05:39 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ensco: Some Perspective In Offshore Drilling Values [View article]
    There is no reason why offshore driller stocks woudln't get hammered even further in the mid-term as it's bound to get worse before it gets better, but I am happy being long ESV @ 47.50 with a yield-on-cost of roughly 6,3% and pretty much the best dividend coverage in the sector along with the best balance sheet.
    Sep 11, 2014. 05:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ensco Looks Attractive At Current Levels [View article]
    I've been looking at Ensco and it does look reasonably attractive, BUT... why on Earth has the share count outstanding exploded so much since 2008?
    Sep 7, 2014. 05:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Use Ensco Plc To Build Income [View article]
    I've been looking at Ensco and it does look attractive, BUT... why on Earth has the share count outstanding exploded so much since 2008?
    Sep 7, 2014. 05:27 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment