Dan Owens

View Dan Owens' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Will eMagin Turnaround In 2015? [View article]
    Thanks all for the comments - I appreciate the discussion on the competitors. I would argue that if the consumer space does expand with the VR headsets, Samsung will be in the mix, whether through building or buying manufacturing capacity. But I am leaning towards tuliptown's strategy - I need to see better execution.
    Dec 16, 2014. 08:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Shorts Are Winding Down But I Own Digital Realty For The Long Haul [View article]
    In looking at your charts, I am not sure I see the clear advantage DLR has over COR? A quick glance shows me COR has a higher dividend growth rate and thus higher P/FFO. Any thoughts on why you think DLR has the advantage over COR?
    Sep 29, 2014. 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • These 3 Strategies Could Drive Growth For Microsoft [View article]
    I agree Microsoft may have a leg up when it comes to businesses migrating to the cloud. If I am a CTO, and need to migrate my windows servers and SQL servers to the cloud - Azure would seem to be a safe choice. However, Surface, Windows phone, XBox - I see big write-downs ahead as the new administration will diverge from some of the past product decisions.
    Jun 9, 2014. 10:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Is A Stock To Own For The Long Term [View article]
    Great analysis - my only point of disagreement would be that you attribute the increase int TAC to MSFT - my thoughts are its more likely attributable to Facebook or the decline in attractiveness/ perceived effectiveness in click advertising.
    May 7, 2014. 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • FLIR May Have More Room To Run [View article]
    FLIR has managed to increase growth during the cutbacks in government spending - and those cutbacks are reflected in the future revenue growth estimates. In my opinion the cutbacks will be overcome in growth in other markets. Yes its possible the project future revenue growth is incorrect, but I think its likely that other markets will pick up the slack, and the majority of defense cutbacks (if we do see those continue) will be in other areas.
    Apr 9, 2014. 02:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Satya Nadella Knows The Power Of Free [View article]
    To be fair - since 12/31/2010 Microsoft is up 34.65%, the S&P 51%, so I for one was glad to be on the sidelines during that time. During Ballmer's tenure (January 2000 - February 2014) S&P +33%, MSFT -35%.
    Mar 6, 2014. 12:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Satya Nadella Knows The Power Of Free [View article]
    The last time I had checked - It was a monthly subscription. However after reading your comment I dusted off my live account and logged in and sure enough - free online office! Oddly, I don't recall seeing any marketing around this, and none the tech people I bumped into at the watercooler today knew about it. One nice freemium example - as far as I can tell no ability to 'save as' a previous version - forcing everybody who wants to collaborate to upgrade to the newer format. Thanks for the heads up.
    Mar 5, 2014. 11:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall Revenue Expectations Are On The Optimistic Side [View article]
    I agree its possible they will grow revenue faster in 2014. Another catalyst could be if Chromecast takes off (at $35 its at a great price point). However, it appears these factors are already built into the revenue estimates, and likely the stock price. I am not as positive in the changes in the new ventures area though.
    Dec 31, 2013. 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall Revenue Expectations Are On The Optimistic Side [View article]
    This quote from the 3rd quarter transcripts caught my eye:

"Redbox performance for the first half of the quarter was not to our expectations, as the promotional strategy Redbox executed drove rentals that had discount levels that negatively impacted revenue and gross margins. We reacted quickly by recalibrating the marketing promotions and subsequently saw improvements through the rest of the quarter in net revenue per rental."

Likely related to the president of Redbox leaving. Perhaps it was poor execution that cause this, or market forces - I guess that's the big question.

From: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Dec 31, 2013. 10:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall Revenue Expectations Are On The Optimistic Side [View article]
    Margins at Outerwall overall may improve over the short term, but it is concerning to me that they are down to 1 promising New Venture candidate. Perhaps the layoffs a sign that they plan to buy rather than build new venture candidates? I will be watching that. I still worry about the pricing pressure in Redbox causing Redbox margins to compress. It should be an interesting year.
    Dec 28, 2013. 09:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Next Big Thing (Probably Not What You Expected) [View article]
    Interesting theory - though as an Apple shareholder I hope you are incorrect. Microsoft has proven how much money you can waste trying to get market share in the search business.
    Jun 20, 2013. 03:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why We Bought Microsoft: Because 2013 Should Determine Whether Ballmer Stays Or Goes [View article]
    The dysfunction at Microsoft is embodied in Windows 8 - how could that operating system of been released as is? Didn't anybody anticipate that corporations would not adopt it? So 8 months after launch - they are 'listening to customer feedback' and bringing back the start button. Didn't anybody watch the usability sessions they conducted? I also hold Ballmer responsible for the cross group dysfynction that is preventing them from executing new products.
    May 9, 2013. 11:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Expeditors International: An Attractive Idea For A Richly Valued Market - Part II [View article]
    Agreed. The company has a history of solid fiscal management, and I think the market is overly pessimistic on this one.
    Apr 5, 2013. 10:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Coinstar May Surprise On The Upside [View article]
    Thanks for the comments - great points by all.
    Mar 19, 2013. 10:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment