Dan Rayburn

View Dan Rayburn's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Netflix May Dominate The Online Video World, But With What Business Model? [View article]
    What does "video downloads" have to do with Netflix? Netflix's watch now service, XBOX 360 service and Roku service are all streaming based services, with no downloads. It's a completely different service offering than Apple's.
    Oct 10 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Akamai: Why Charge More for Streaming Video Delivery vs. HTTP Delivery? [View article]
    Did you read more than one post on my blog? Clearly not. It's been in other posts before. Not to mention listed on my public resume here: www.glgroup.com/Counci...

or multiple articles in the press where i have done interviews:
    www.mediaman.com.au/in...

www.econtentmag.com/Ar...

I don't have to list every single company I have ever worked for in the past 10 years.
    Oct 7 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Again, the question is not why is streaming more expensive. I know why it costs more to deliver it. My question is why Akamai is the only CDN who tries to charge more for it? I see Akamai lose so many deals as a result of this and you'd think by now, they would realize that they can't charge more for something that others offer at no additional cost. That is the question. Why lose deals on purpose when you know your pricing model is not being adopted?

When I talk about who the top three largest CDNs are, specific to video revenue globally, it is Akamai, Limelight and CDNetworks. We know this to be fact as all of those networks are public. Panther Express' revenue specific to video delivery in the U.S. is very_small. I know their revenue and speak to their management who has provided me with details in addition to the number of customers they have specific to video delivery. Panther Express would not be in the top 5 for U.S. based video delivery revenue. Akamai, Limelight, Level 3, Internap and AT&T all do more video delivery revenue in 2008 than Panther Express will. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that as Panther Express is not trying to be an Akamai or Limelight.
    Oct 6 05:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Clearly you didn't read my blog or my disclosure post that I linked to above. I quote:

"As I have said on the blog before, of the 40 CDN companies I list, none of them have ever paid me any money for any work, ever, except Mirror Image which is public info. My work with Mirror Image ended almost a year ago."

And that being said, show me one post anywhere on my blog where I wrote about Mirror Image.

Lets stick to the facts.

Oct 6 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It's too bad you can't stick to the facts and the question at hand. For starters, I don't work for any CDN, including Amazon. So your comment of me "stumping for my clients (such as AmazonCDN)" is your way of trying to discredit my valid question with a point that is simply a lie. I have disclosure, where is yours?
    blog.streamingmedia.co...

In addition, why not comment under your own name? I find it amusing that so many people that comment are so sure of themselves and want to argue a question so badly to prove their point, but are not willing to put their name behind their words. You want to question my creditability, even though I make it clear on my blog that I don't work for any CDN, yet you post anonymously. Wonder why.

Your comment that "however over the past 3 or 4 years there has been little to not innovation" is not just a bad "opinion", it's flat out factually wrong. In 2004 CDNs could not handle the type of large-scale live events, at high bitrates, like they do today. That is just one of many innovations. And was Flash Media Server deployed on CDNs three years ago? Nope. But I guess the advent of Flash streaming for CDNs does not qualify to you as an "innovation" even though Flash is so prevalent.
    In addition, as I have clearly wrote on my blog many times, streaming is more expensive due to the licensing costs, but the question I was asking was not why is streaming more expensive. The question I am asking is why Akamai is the ONLY CDN that charges more for streaming, even with Windows Media? You didn’t answer that question.
    Oct 6 12:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Akamai and the BBC: News Reporting on CDNs Getting Shoddy [View article]
    Sorry, I no longer track KIT Digital and have no interest in the company.
    Aug 22 07:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Digging Deeper Into Limelight's Earnings Call [View article]
    I agree, the wording could be better, the downside of not having an editor for my blog.

What I was trying to say was that Limelight is building out their CDN for partial business customers have give them, with the idea that if their build out is successful, they could win more of the customers business from other competitors or from in-house solutions.
    Aug 20 07:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Digging Deeper Into Limelight's Earnings Call [View article]
    Hi Roger, not sure what you are asking to clarify?
    Aug 14 04:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Same CDN Major Players Getting All Live Business [View article]
    The numbers I am going on are the numbers the providers give me. I have yet to hear from any distribution provider of any live event this year, other than sports, that did over 50,000 simultaneous streams. They may be out there, and if so are very few, but so far, none of the numbers I am getting back from those delivering the content are very big as compared to the events in the U.S.
    Aug 1 03:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Same CDN Major Players Getting All Live Business [View article]
    Next month Frost & Sullivan is releasing their CDN World Markets report where we spoke to each CDN provider in the U.S., Europe and Asia. We will be breaking out revenue numbers by region and growth projections by region. After speaking to the CDNs in Europe and Asia, all of them combined are not even doing the CDN revenue that Akamai is doing. And this is data directly from the CDNs in Europe and Asia themselves. That's reality. The market is just a lot smaller in Europe and Asia. There is less business, less providers, fewer CDNs and less data from those regions for a reason. Which is why we are aiming to include the entire market, global, for the CDN report.

I've covered many of the CDNs in Europe and Asia on my blog. Two weeks ago I did two posts just on European based CDN Velocix. I cover more than just the US market, but the US market is still where the majority of the CDN business is.

Yes, I know about events outside the U.S. like e-stars, Eurovision, Rock am Ring and others, but those events are all small and don't even reach 20,000 users at once. My post was very specifically asking about large scale live events that have hundreds of thousands of simultaneous users.
    Aug 1 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Same CDN Major Players Getting All Live Business [View article]
    A lot of live European events are streamed by Level 3. Not all, but many of them. That's part of the reason they acquired European based Servecast.

This article is talking specifically to events that are streamed live. So Hulu, ABC and HBO would not be fair comparisons as that content is all on-demand.

The point of the article is that while many new CDNs have entered the market and many of them are focusing on live, saying that can do it cheaper and scale better than Akamai or Limelight, to date, they are not winning any of that business. Trying to point out the fact that it's not as easy to scale a network for live content as some think it is. Don't now the size of the market for medium events. Have not seen any data on that.

I am not recommending stock of any company. I have never bought, sold or traded stock in any public company ever. I have no vested interest in any public company's stock.
    Jul 31 01:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Same CDN Major Players Getting All Live Business [View article]
    I think you need to learn your facts.

JStream is not doing any large events on the scale that Limelight or Akamai is doing. JStream does not have any global reach, no global network and says on their website they can only support 30,000 live streams at once. They are based only in Japan. Akamai's network is global and is supporting well over a million live streams in any given month. Your opinion may be one thing, but facts are facts.

You say there are "large scale streaming events outside the U.S.". Ok, then list them. Don't just say they are events, name them. There are a few, but show me a list of events in Asia that are as big as the ones we have in the U.S. and happen as often.

I think it's a bit weak to continue to read comments by people who champion for a particular vendor, without saying if they work for that vendor or even including their real name. Each comment always seems to include a reference to CDNetworks. I wonder why.
    Jul 31 11:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Akamai: Broadband Consumption Clouds Outlook [View article]
    I don't buy the broadband speed excuse. The average broadband speed in the U.S. is 3MB, which is plenty to be able to watch a 500Kbps video, which is about what the average content is encoded at. Faster broadband does not equate into more consumption.
    Jul 30 10:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Player by Roku Has Potential to Really Impact the Market [View article]
    If I could have said who told me the number, then I would have put it in the post. I would not have published it if it did not come from someone who would know.
    Jul 30 11:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon's AWS Won't Compete With CDNs [View article]
    That is a short list. For a detailed list of CDNs globally, including P2P based solutions, there are over 60 providers. You can see the list at www.cdnlist.com
    Jul 21 06:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment