View as an RSS Feed
View Dana Blankenhorn's Articles BY TICKER:
AA, AAL, AAPL, ABB, ABC, ABT, ACT, ADBE, ADM, ADSK, AES, AFL, AGN, AIG, AIRM, AKAM, AMAT, AMD, AMSC, AMZN, ANF, AOL, AONEQ, ARGT, ARMH, ATHN, ATVI, AU, AVP, BA, BAC, BBG, BBRY, BBY, BCOV, BIG, BKS, BRCM, BRK.A, BRK.B, BSX, BXS, CAR, CAT, CDXS, CHK, CIEN, CLNE, CMCSA, CMCSK, CMI, COG, COP, COR, COST, CPN, CRM, CSC, CSCO, CTXS, DAL, DDD, DELL, DFS, DIS, DISH, DNDN, DOLE, DOW, DVA, DYN, EA, EBAY, EHTH, EMC, ENL, ENOC, ETAK, EWC, EWY, F, FB, FCEL, FCFS, FCG, FDO, FDX, FFIV, FIATY, FSLR, GBX, GE, GILD, GLW, GM, GNOM, GOOG, GRPN, GS, HD, HI, HLF, HPQ, HRS, IACI, IBM, ICE, IDCC, IHF, INTC, INTU, IP, ISRG, JASO, JCP, JNJ, JNPR, JPM, JW.A, KCG, KO, KWT, LFL, LMT, LNKD, LSKY, LULU, LUV, LVLT, MCD, MDRX, MHS, MITK, MS, MSFT, MU, MYL, N, NAV, NEE, NFLX, NGLS, NKE, NLR, NOK, NRG, NTGR, NUAN, NVDA, NWS, NWSA, NYT, NYX, OCZ, ODP, OMX, OPTT, ORA, ORCL, OSTK, OWW, P, PAY, PB, PFE, PG, PIR, PLUG, QCLN, QCOM, QSFT, RAX, REGN, RHT, RSH, S, SAP, SBUX, SCHW, SCTY, SLB, SNE, SPG, SPWR, SPY, SSNLF, STI, STX, SU, SWK, SYMC, SZYM, T, TAN, TGT, TM, TSLA, TW, TXN, UA, UNH, UNTD, USB, USCR, VIA, VIAB, VMW, VVUS, VZ, WAG, WBMD, WDAY, WDC, WFT, WLP, WM, WMB, WMT, XHB, XRT, XRX, Y, YELP, YHOO, YRCW, ZNGA
The Big Microsoft Move Just Not Justified
- Microsoft shares are up, but Microsoft is not growing in sales or profits.
- Microsoft has a lot of divisions that are losers, and others that are threatened.
- Microsoft needs to move into cloud applications, but even that may not turn the ship around. Sell.
Now Is The Time To Speculate On Sprint
- Only $4 billion of Sprint's market cap is available to trade.
- Sprint has finished the bulk of its network upgrades.
- Sprint's new CEO knows how to sell.
Amazon No Threat To Visa
- Amazon's new credit card dongle is an extension of an existing business model.
- Amazon is not becoming a bank.
- Amazon is not becoming a merchant processor. In fact it's helping its own processor.
The Coming Cloud Crash
- Containerization is bringing the end of the cloud boom closer.
- Leaders like Amazon and Google continue to spend furiously to bring a crash on.
- The crash will take out many of the cloud industry's laggards and hasten consolidation.
The Purpose Of EMC's Equity Games
- It's true that the pieces are worth more than the whole.
- Spinning off the pieces loses the synergy that gives them long-term value.
- EMC is presently the cheapest cloud play there is for small investors.
How Much Is Amazon.com Worth Now?
- The market was wrong at $400, but just as wrong at $300.
- At its present run rate sales should match $91 billion this year.
- A 2-1 price to sales ratio is not unreasonable for what is increasingly a tech stock.
Winners And Losers In The IBM-Apple Deal
- Traders are now seeing both IBM and Apple as undervalued.
- Investors may not yet be correctly seeing negative implications for other players.
- Intel may be the biggest loser, Amazon a wild card.
Finding The New Microsoft In The Nadella Memo
- Microsoft is clearly favoring Office applications over the Windows operating system.
- The cloud strategy could reduce the legacy debt customers owning client-server systems now face.
- Nadella's refusal to dump Surface or Windows Phone remains troubling.
Red Hat Is A Cloud Services Company
- Analyzing Red Hat as a software or open source company has proven incorrect.
- Red Hat is a cloud services company growing at a steady rate of 11% per year, and profitably so.
- It is a great choice on market weakness and a good takeover candidate down the road.
Alcoa Makes The Turn, Aluminum Is The New Steel
- Alcoa surprised analysts with earnings of 18 cents per share.
- The big gains came in engineered products for airplanes and engines.
- The need for energy efficiency means the gains are sustainable.
Is Intel's Momentum Sustainable?
- Intel is up almost 30% this year, 10% in the last month.
- Most of the gains are based on unproven speculation concerning PC sales.
- If the July 15 earnings are poor, buy the dip.
Is Yahoo More Than Alibaba?
- Despite 38 acquisitions under Marissa Mayer, Yahoo has shown no organic growth.
- Analysts remain hopeful, because they believe Alibaba is worth more than many think.
- An earnings fail could put this on your short list.
2014 Is Fitness Mania But We're Not Invited
- The best plays aren't public and won't be until they're played out.
- Apple has proven it is best at monetizing the consumer space.
- Look closely for FDA approvals.
IBM Running Out Of Easy Ways To Keep The Shareholders Satisfied
- IBM sales and profits are on a downhill run.
- The company is masking its problems with happy talk and cost-cutting.
- This kind of story seldom ends well.
How Microsoft Is Out-Gaining Google And Could Soon Outgrow It
- Microsoft has suddenly shown flexibility.
- Windows 9 has a huge opportunity for profitable growth.
- Microsoft is innovating again.
There Is More Alibaba Magic In Sprint Than Yahoo
- Yahoo's stake in Alibaba is fully valued at current prices.
- Softbank's stake in Alibaba can fund Sprint's ambitious plans.
- By driving out T-Mobile and spending over $6 billion/year, Sprint can kill the Verizon-AT&T duopoly.
Netflix, AT&T And The Net Neutrality Scam
- Netflix claims it favors net neutrality even while it saves money buying bits from Comcast.
- Comcast has vertical integration. It owns the bits as well as what they contain.
- This gives Comcast huge advantages over both content outfits like Netflix and phone rivals like AT&T.
3-D Printers Take A Water Break
- 3D Printer companies are vulnerable to market momentum shifts.
- But this is early in the market's development. Validation has just begun.
- Patience will be rewarded if you get in when the charts say it's a low. Like now.
It's 1997, Not 1999
- Just because we're at new highs does not mean we're ready for a fall.
- Speculative bubbles will rise and pop. Play them carefully.
- Big names that know their business will rise.
What Plug Power, FuelCell Mean
- Fuel cells are a real business early in its evolution.
- These early leaders are highly speculative.
- Someone is going to win, and investors will want to wait to see who does.
IntercontinentalExchange: Bet On The Dealer
- IntercontinentalExchange now owns the NYSE.
- That's just one piece of its action.
- The play is a global transaction processor, dealing with all kinds of instruments, for volatile and smooth markets.
- A Better Way To Play Net Neutrality
- Time For Under Armour To Buy Lululemon?
- American Superconductor Hits Micro
- Why They Love Prosperity Bank
- Cloud Leadership Rolls Over To Applications
- Who Might Berkshire Hathaway Buy Next?
- T-Mobile Gets To Sprint Strategy First
- Even Elon Musk Says Tesla Is Overvalued
- Time To Sell LinkedIn
- Why EMC Trails VMware
- Will AOL Bring An Upside Surprise?