Dana Blankenhorn

View Dana Blankenhorn's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Comcast Checkmates Google Wireless Plan [View article]
    I agree that Google buying a carrier, even a wireless one, would be a game changer.
    Apr 23, 2015. 07:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comcast Checkmates Google Wireless Plan [View article]
    Do you have any idea how much coverage you get from 1 m hotspots nationwide? Very little, is the answer.
    Apr 23, 2015. 07:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comcast Checkmates Google Wireless Plan [View article]
    It is true that CMCSA's lead in this area is partly due to their vertical integration -- the ownership of content that will go over the Internet pipe, or the cable pipe, because people want it.
    Apr 23, 2015. 07:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Comcast Checkmates Google Wireless Plan [View article]
    I think you're right, which is why CMCSA's plan is to gradually increase the speed, and the cost, of its Internet data offerings. They're going to 2 Gbps in Atlanta but that's not going to cost just the $50/month regular service costs.
    Apr 23, 2015. 07:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: The Box Closes In [View article]
    I have no doubt that IBM will be a player in the cloud. But AMZN is doing $5b in business there. That won't move the needle.
    Apr 23, 2015. 07:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Fiber Takes Internet Access To The '90s - The 1890s [View article]
    The problem with the stupid network is it's an unprofitable network. I support the stupid network as a political concept, and as a technology concept, but where does the money to support such a network come from?
    Apr 23, 2015. 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Texas Facing The Deep Breath Before The Plunge [View article]
    My wife's family owns land in Texas, they have for many years, and we inherited a portion when her parents passed away. We retain the ag exemption, just enough cows to maintain it, and pay hardly anything in property taxes. We also got a windfall when someone decided to lease our land for oil exploration. They haven't drilled yet. I'll learn more this weekend at her family reunion.
    Apr 23, 2015. 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities Must Adjust To Solar And Not The Other Way Around [View article]
    You don't need all those investments in order to become independent of the grid any more. There are now companies that will finance your independence, at an attractive price, on a long term basis.
    Apr 23, 2015. 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying The Gas Station Is Tough When The Best Players Are Private [View article]
    I went to college with Sunoco's CEO at Rice and can now reveal I had a brief crush on her my sophomore year. (Like dozens of other weiners and dweebs.) This was before I met my wife, around 1974. I never pursued it, never even told her. Which is just as well, for her sake. I understand she has a good life and a good family and I wish them all the best.
    Apr 23, 2015. 11:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That's something I looked at. I have many Valero branded gas stations in my own area. But they are very small, and as you say they are just neighborhood convenience stores. They are not pushing the envelope as these other companies are.
    Apr 23, 2015. 11:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Not a gas station, in my view. A truck stop. Which is different. And dirtier. I was looking for companies that are investing in cleanliness, in cars.
    Apr 23, 2015. 11:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comcast Checkmates Google Wireless Plan [View article]
    Because a lot of people do think it will impact Google's bottom line.
    Apr 23, 2015. 11:01 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comcast Checkmates Google Wireless Plan [View article]
    The problem with the stupid network is that stupid networks aren't profitable, yet stupid networks require new capital investment to remain viable.
    Apr 23, 2015. 11:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Texas Facing The Deep Breath Before The Plunge [View article]
    So you really think the cows will save Texas? You are right on prices. My relatives recently sold 6 head for prices ranging from $2-2.50/pound, and these were pretty average cattle living on grass and a few supplements meant to even out the grass' nutrition.

Of course, if you've got 6 head at 500 pounds each that's $6,000 for a year's work on, in this case, almost 300 acres. Think Texas is going to come back that way? The gain is the equivalent of the fall in price of just 300 barrels of oil, by my calculation ($6k divided by 50).

Anyway, that's not the way it was in Giant. I seem to remember even James Dean got rich in that one.
    Apr 21, 2015. 11:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: The Box Closes In [View article]
    If they have a vision, and they're growing, then they're a buy, because they have financial strength. As it is, they are handing their strength back to the shareholders, losing strength and losing sales.

A visionary leader would probably have better things to do with the company's money other than hand it to you.
    Apr 21, 2015. 11:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment