Dana Blankenhorn

View Dana Blankenhorn's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Pipelines Still Offer Dividend Shade In The Broiling Oilpatch [View article]
    I like solar. I generally prefer it to oil, as an investment. But if you're going to be a little bit in oil -- and it's still a huge part of the economy -- it's best to be with someone who, instead of holding the product, tries to deal with it in the most efficient way possible. KMI gets product to market for less, and environmentalists might like to know that it is helping replace Mexican coal as the only natgas exporter we have. It crosses at Laredo.
    Aug 3, 2015. 03:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Microsoft Really IBM? [View article]
    IBM keeps coming up with really good ideas, but doesn't turn them into products. It's where ideas go to die. At least MSFT is trying stuff, but much of it is not working.

Is Windows 10 working? In some ways, yes. In others, the jury is still out.
    Aug 3, 2015. 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tech Stock Owners Looking For Excuses To Take Profit [View article]
    My description of it as a laggard was based on its Price/Earnings multiple. I understand and accept that you and others may use different criteria. My apologies for any misunderstanding.
    Aug 3, 2015. 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tech Stock Owners Looking For Excuses To Take Profit [View article]
    Not saying they're the same. But market patterns do tend to repeat across markets. When laggards in a market are rising, that's a signal. When the markets turn, it's these laggards who go down first. In every market.
    Aug 3, 2015. 10:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tech Stock Owners Looking For Excuses To Take Profit [View article]
    Sitting on cash means losing money. How long you want to do that?
    Aug 3, 2015. 08:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tech Stock Owners Looking For Excuses To Take Profit [View article]
    The trend they're playing is far from played out, and it's not vulnerable to a change in policies from an incoming GOP Administration. I'd keep smiling on this one, maybe look to sell after speculators run it up before the Trump Inaugural. <g> Won't he look lovely in the Gold House, formerly the White House.
    Aug 3, 2015. 08:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Way To Profit, Saving On Healthcare [View article]
    Probably why no one is reading it. <g>
    Aug 3, 2015. 08:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Long, Dark Twilight Of The Telephone Wire [View article]
    When a fiber build went under my sidewalk this January, I asked who it was for. The construction workers said it was being shared, by Comcast for faster speeds on my cable, and Verizon Wireless for backhaul.
    Aug 3, 2015. 08:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What The Intel-Micron Memory Chip Means [View article]
    I think that's very possible. This is why Tsinghua is interested in taking out the company -- which is weak right now -- and it's why it may be in the U.S. national interest to engineer a merger in order to take this technology out of foreign hands. And Intel's are the strongest hands there are. But digesting Micron isn't going to be useful to investors unless something else fundamental happens, like a break between the production and design units, allowing the more valuable part of the company to operate as a fabless outfit.
    Aug 3, 2015. 08:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could It Really Be Time For Sony? [View article]
    That's why I linked to their upcoming picture list. If you think they're going to do OK, that's good.
    Aug 3, 2015. 08:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What The Intel-Micron Memory Chip Means [View article]
    But they WERE fabless
    Aug 1, 2015. 07:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What The Intel-Micron Memory Chip Means [View article]
    I just did. That is part of the reason why the Tsinghua bid should not be dismissed.
    Aug 1, 2015. 10:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The New Delta Aims For Global Dominance [View article]
    You don't have to buy everything, or all of anything, to compete on a global scale. That's the way DAL is approaching it. They're taking small pieces of struggling carriers in order to build a feeder network.
    Jul 31, 2015. 07:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Could It Really Be Time For Sony? [View article]
    Never let emotion cloud your financial judgement. If Lucifer Industries can make me money, and is under-valued by the market, I'm happy to take 100 shares. And nice guys finish last.

This is just as important when it comes to selling stock. Don't let your admiration for a company cause you to hold it when the results go against it. Sell that thing.

Easier said than done, I know.
    Jul 31, 2015. 07:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Long, Dark Twilight Of The Telephone Wire [View article]
    If FiOS were profitable VZ would be expanding it, as rapidly as possible, especially given how cheap money is right now.

They are not doing so.

I think your penetration rate estimate is way off.
    Jul 31, 2015. 06:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment