Dana Blankenhorn

View Dana Blankenhorn's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Nuclear Plants Face The Bathtub Problem [View article]
    If costs are declining for something, why wouldn't supply increase to the point where it becomes a reasonable alternative? Especially with technology delivering dramatic improvements in cost-efficiency all the time.

Even absent improvements in panel pricing or efficiency, 80% of a solar's installation is outside the panel - the fittings, the labor, the permits, etc. There have been no standards there. So there are major savings possible.

And if oil prices rise from here, you don't think that will further spur demand, which in turn spurs supply, and increases profitability?

Know, too, that right now we have about 8x as much wind power in our grid as solar.
    Oct 21 03:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Way To Look At Banks [View article]
    I appreciate your sentiment, but that's not the way stock gains have gone. Since the 2008 crash many smaller banks are selling at significant premiums to book, while BAC and C are both selling at significant discounts. JPM is selling for slightly below book.

WFC has done the best of hte money center banks (except for GS and MS, which are still basically trading houses) and sells at a significant premium to book.

To me it seems clear. Buy the safer banks -- banks selling at significant premiums to book should do well as banking conditions continue to improve.

And you're right, I'm tired of waiting for BAC to get out of its own way.
    Oct 21 03:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can IBM Save OpenStack? [View article]
    I think we're moving into a new era of hybrid cloud, and that OpenStack benefits from that. But VMW and CTXS are doing better here than I expected.
    Oct 21 11:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Is The Vision At Microsoft And IBM? [View article]
    I agree that the main beneficiaries of cloud are those who use cloud, either as users or to deliver new types of services. Not the arms dealers.
    Oct 21 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Is The Vision At Microsoft And IBM? [View article]
    I put some money into SSYS' competitor, DDD, and it's doubled in about a year. 3D printing is not a fad. These two companies dominate it.
    Oct 17 08:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Is The Vision At Microsoft And IBM? [View article]
    That's part of the problem. Don't know where to go with that IBM money. I've got another $20k in cash wondering what to do, too.

Maybe Stratasys
    Oct 17 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Is The Vision At Microsoft And IBM? [View article]
    Exactly.
    Oct 17 03:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Is The Vision At Microsoft And IBM? [View article]
    I'm an investor, not a trader. Right now I've doubled my money since my IBM investment. But you're right -- I am losing money here and should probably pull the trigger. Just not today.
    Oct 17 03:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Cloud Move That Could Pull Microsoft Out Of First Gear [View article]
    I repeat my last statement. You're good. An ability to write well is more important at a site like this than many people think, and you write well.
    Oct 17 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How This Ends [View article]
    So would we all. And if you think that deficits are the worst thing evah, then this deal was for you. Spending will be at GOP levels for at least the first half of this fiscal year.

Of course, they could have had that two weeks ago, but again that's politics, not policy. The policy remains what it was, aggressively pro-austerity on the fiscal side, aggressively easing on the monetary side.
    Oct 17 09:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Obamacare Battleground Centers On EHealth [View article]
    Agreed. I don't own any shares in eHealth. But I like Walgreens.
    Oct 16 01:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • VMware Best Of The Cloud Suppliers, But Not Your Best Investment [View article]
    Even clouds have yet to compete with mainframes when it comes to transaction processing. I've heard of some efforts to build transaction processing on a client-server platform, and once you're there you can go to cloud. But that's about it.
    Oct 16 01:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Depends on what the data center does. The key is service as a service.
    Oct 16 01:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The goal is SaaS -- software as a service, and more important Service as a Service. IaaS is just the base enabling technology. You have to bring your own programming and software to the party.

Think of IaaS as a pile of lumber and nails from Home Depot, and PaaS as an IKEA kit. What you want is the house.
    Oct 16 01:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How This Ends [View article]
    If you think the Republicans aren't the natural party of business, that's OK. Let Democrats be the natural party of business then, because I do admit to being a Democrat, and then we'll see who wins.
    Oct 16 01:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment