Dana Blankenhorn

View Dana Blankenhorn's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Whether Qualcomm Is a Better Choice Than Intel [View article]
    Broadcom has been an excellent mobile company for many years. But its succession problems may be something to consider. I'll look into them and report back.
    Jul 12 09:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Easiest Way to Play Renewable Energy May Be ABB [View article]
    Nuclear power is generally low-risk, and there are some interesting new plant designs out there. But when it blows up, as at Fukushima, it blows up huge, and wipes out the whole equity of the space.

Wind turbines don't do that. Solar panels don't do that. And unlike nuclear, whose costs have to go up to make up for losses at Fukushima (and higher perceived risks), the costs of wind and (especially) solar continue to decline. And as to supply, there's 8.6 GW of panels sitting in warehouses right now.
    Jul 12 09:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Debt Ceiling Debate Solution: Mint a $1 Trillion Coin [View article]
    I might could use some of that polar bear repellant. I'm seeing wild rabbits and cougars in my Atlanta neighborhood. Bears are next.
    Jul 11 09:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Good News for Solar Energy in Falling Polysilicon Prices [View article]
    Its easy when the gray hair tells all that you lived through the history you're discussing. <G>
    Jul 11 09:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Google Should Buy Netflix [View article]
    I can't say. I'd have to have a close look at Netflix' infrastructure. I do know that Google's fair price is higher than what others would consider fair. Because Google is the master of Internet infrastructure.
    Jul 11 09:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Google Should Buy Netflix [View article]
    I didn't say it wasn't possible. I said it wasn't easy. I'm on Google+. It's very nice. But it's more like Linkedin than Facebook. It combines all your Googling into one easy-to-use view, lets you comment on what others are thinking about organically, and lets you reveal as much (or as little) as you like under real control.

No Farmville, though. .
    Jul 11 09:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Playing the Debt Crisis: Go Short but Anticipate a Rally [View article]
    Didn't you know? I'm the old shoe.
    Jul 11 08:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Playing the Debt Crisis: Go Short but Anticipate a Rally [View article]
    Let's say Obama invokes the 14th Amendment prematurely. What would be the political reaction? No, he has to let the other side walk the plank and take the consequences, while doing all he can in the meantime to appear reasonable, and willing to confront his own base.

Otherwise the politics doesn't work, and as we all know this is politics.
    Jul 11 08:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whether Qualcomm Is a Better Choice Than Intel [View article]
    I don't know what you mean by "not a threat to Intel."

In terms of general microprocessors, completely accurate. In terms of mobile technology, the question is whether Intel poses a threat to Qualcomm, not vice versa.
    Jul 11 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time to Sell the Telcos? [View article]
    It's likely you don't like others projecting their ideas of what you think on your belief system, and that works both ways. What you just delivered is an ideological rant, which has about as much relation to the President and his beliefs as Hitler has to yours.

Again, getting back to the topic at hand. The last Administration aided and abetted the development of duopolies in both wired and wireless, putting billions into the telcos' pockets and not requiring them to do what they promised, in terms of delivering broadband to rural people and poor neighborhoods.

Scarcity was created, but it's a short-term phenomenon. The market, and technology, will eliminate it in time. The only question is how much time that will take.

Given that reality, a little law enforcement is not a bad thing. And that's what a lot of the things you're condemning through ideology are -- law enforcement. Dishonest banks can drive out honest bankers, dishonest businessmen can drive out honest businessmen.

If I called you "soft on crime," I'm certain you'd say I was projecting, or calling you names. But ideology can excuse and blind us to many things. Leftist ideology can blind us to state tyranny, while rightist ideology can blind us to corporate tyranny.

I'm an American. I prefer no tyranny. Which requires balance, a government powerful enough to bring any criminal to heel, and private interests strong enough to drive the economy forward.

This Administration has not been perfect, but on balance it is far preferable to what came before. This includes its record on telecom.
    Jul 11 05:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time to Sell the Telcos? [View article]
    This FCC's policy toward the Bells has, on balance, been less favorable to their interests than that of the previous Administration. It's something I'm certain their lobbyists would confirm.
    Jul 11 04:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • James Murdoch Tries to Save Satellite Deal and Murdoch Era [View article]
    Financial Times calls the BSkyB deal dead www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cb9... What now of James Murdoch's ambition to make NWS an infrastructure company? And what of "Google and Apple are killing us?" NWS down another 6% seekingalpha.com/symbo...

Oh, and other News of the World editors now holding big jobs? Start with WSJ head Les Hinton and CNN talking head Piers Morgan.
    Jul 11 03:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Good News for Solar Energy in Falling Polysilicon Prices [View article]
    Katie Fehrenbacher at Gigaom is one of my favorites. I have in the past written for Renewableenergyworld.com, and may again -- especially when I see scientific or start-up stories that are inappropriate for use here.
    Jul 11 03:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time to Sell the Telcos? [View article]
    The political comment was not meant for you. There are political opponents of the Bells, like Bruce Kushnick, Free Press etc. Some very smart folks like Bob Frankston, co-founder of VisiCalc, have thought long and hard about these questions.
    Jul 11 03:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solar ETFs Yes, Cloud ETF No [View article]
    I agree. I think a "cloud computing stock" is a company that has all or most of its business activity aimed at the space, not something like Netflix. More like Red Hat, VMWare, and OpenStack. Even cloud "leaders" like Amazon get most of their money from elsewhere, and put most of their money elsewhere as well.
    Jul 11 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment