Dana Blankenhorn

View Dana Blankenhorn's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Oracle Turns Cloudy But Is It Too Late? [View article]
    The problem with micropayments has always been that the handling costs cost money, the payments restrict use and the money can be gotten from advertising.

But it's good to see you here, Ed.
    Jun 7, 2012. 12:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oracle Turns Cloudy But Is It Too Late? [View article]
    Sorry, but cloud is an architecture, SaaS a result. Salesforce.com isn't cloud, but SaaS on a cloud architecture.

A cloud architecture involves virtualization, distributed computing, and the ability to handle big data sets that run on multiple machines simultaneously.
    Jun 7, 2012. 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Is America's Best Bargain In Manufacturing [View article]
    Good point. Highlighting the specialty products when 90% of the sales are commodity may well be a mistake on my part. Thanks.
    Jun 7, 2012. 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Is America's Best Bargain In Manufacturing [View article]
    We have to deal with China. We're 100 years ahead of them in manufacturing technology, and our makers can run rings around them programming-wise.

It reminds me of what US Grant said about Lee. Stop worrying about what they're going to do to you. Make them worry about what we're going to do to them.

GLW makes 'em worry. AAPL takes 'em to the cleaners and makes 'em pay for the results.

You think it looks bad from here? Try looking at it from over there.
    Jun 6, 2012. 07:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Assessing Walgreen's Franchise And Market Value [View article]
    Good piece on the numbers. I agree that WAG is being hurt by its dispute with ESRX.

From a strategic point of view, I note its effort to move from products to services isn't mentioned. Clinics, holistic health services, even juice bars. The idea is to make its stores a health destination, something more people need as they're kicked out of the regular health market.
    Jun 6, 2012. 06:59 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Is America's Best Bargain In Manufacturing [View article]
    Americans respected neither patent nor copyright until near the end of the 19th century. Charles Dickens, in fact, gave the rights to his book Martin Chuzzlewitt to America on his second visit as a sort of dare -- enforce the rights and you can have the money.

The British tried to physically prevent engineers at its early mills from emigrating, fearing they would take the secrets of industrialism with them. Sure enough, Samuel Slater did, and built the first American mill in Pawtucket, RI in 1793. It's still there.

Marx and Mao are both dead. Chinese date the modern history of their nation from 1978, not 1949. (And Coventry City did finally win the FA Cup, in 1987.)
    Jun 6, 2012. 06:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook Plays The Long Game, Oracle The Short One [View article]
    I don't feel like I "went wrong." I made choices about my life, which somehow have led me to a place I enjoy, a really wonderful life. Bumps along the way, some huge mistakes, and some pain, most of which in retrospect was deserved. But overall, much luck.

Being jealous doesn't help. I wish I could write like Michael Chabon, or even Gary Smith, but it is what it is. Enjoy it.
    Jun 6, 2012. 03:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IDC Shows Android Maintaining Smartphone Lead Through 2016 [View article]
    I think you meant IDC. Not a problem. I make mistakes all the time. I was very disappointed in the way IDC's own editors wrote up this report, so in addition to correcting the record I figured I'd go back in time and see how they'd been at previous predictions.

Not great. And always more favorable to Microsoft than reality turned out to be.
    Jun 6, 2012. 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Is America's Best Bargain In Manufacturing [View article]
    Right. We haven't lost it. And American investors would do well to be a little patriotic and profit by it.
    Jun 6, 2012. 02:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Becomes A Tech Company [View article]
    That's right. Focus. Focus on video. The Internet isn't all video. I don't think we fundamentally disagree.
    Jun 6, 2012. 01:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Is America's Best Bargain In Manufacturing [View article]
    Yep, a regular bunch of Samuel Slaters them.
    Jun 6, 2012. 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Is America's Best Bargain In Manufacturing [View article]
    Solar companies gave their technology away in order to do low-cost manufacturing. It wasn't stolen. It was licensed.
    Jun 6, 2012. 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Is America's Best Bargain In Manufacturing [View article]
    I'm a simple guy. I'd buy it for the dividend and hold it until Americans value manufacturing stocks again. I figure 3 years
    Jun 5, 2012. 07:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen Buyers Take The Rumor But Should Wait For The News [View article]
    I agree. Which is why every rumor indicating this might end is treated with such joy by the market.
    Jun 5, 2012. 07:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen Buyers Take The Rumor But Should Wait For The News [View article]
    I am a journalist. Have been for over 40 years. This is an interesting story, which I have gotten pleasure in following and seeking to explain.
    Jun 5, 2012. 07:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment