Dana Blankenhorn

View Dana Blankenhorn's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Patent Litigation May Not Mean Big Boost For Apple's Market Share [View article]
    I have a Samsung phone and it's quite different from my daughter's iPhone. I don't consider it a copy at all.
    Jan 11, 2012. 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Short In 2012 [View article]
    That's a good call. I thought someone would mention AZPN. I keep asking myself what's the "there" there. ATHN has a there -- they help docs get paid. And they have a growth story in embracing SaaS EHRs. Plus a Bush in the hand.
    Jan 11, 2012. 09:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yahoo Thompson Hire Is Bad News For eBay [View article]
    On the other hand I just saw a story noting that Paypal did $4 billion in mobile business last year. http://bit.ly/yMpuUu

I don't own any eBay stock.
    Jan 11, 2012. 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Short In 2012 [View article]
    I make my personal investments based on a long term time horizon. As a journalist, I sort of consider them a conflict-of-interest that should make any conclusion suspicious. But many readers here treat ownership as "skin in the game," a reason to give the author credibility.

It's something I'm still trying to work out, so I finally bought a very few Amazon shares in order to have such "skin in the game." Maybe over the next year they'll lose money. But Amazon tends to come good in the long run, and I can afford to wait.
    Jan 11, 2012. 08:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Give First Solar Some Love? [View article]
    Your screen name says a lot. But solar is moving down in cost and price, First Solar is leading that charge, they're the leading American company in the space, and once we get crossover or "grid parity" all bets are off in terms of growth.
    Jan 11, 2012. 07:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    My phone already has. Two buttons appear on the lower-right of the screen. One increases the aspect of the display, the other shrinks it. And I think that if you implement the finger movement in another way you have a different invention. The finger movement itself is a mousetrap, not a type of mousetrap.
    Jan 11, 2012. 07:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Short In 2012 [View article]
    AMT's prospects are based entirely on cellular build-out plans. Even though Sprint (S) and Clearwire (CLWR) are money-losers, they still have capital budgets, and still need towers to build out their plants.

That said, it's a fairly short-run thing. I'd put them on my list for 2013.
    Jan 10, 2012. 09:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Short In 2012 [View article]
    Hey every portfolio has some things that don't make objective sense. As you see I'm still long AMZN. Going short IBM makes sense if you think the economy is going to roll over.
    Jan 10, 2012. 05:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect Google Downgrades As Motorola Acquisition Nears [View article]
    My guess is the first applications will be for people with DUI convictions.Maybe put a flashing red light on the top for when it's in "driverless" mode. Alerts other drivers that if they run into you it's presumptively their fault.
    Jan 10, 2012. 04:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Short In 2012 [View article]
    No, I'm long Amazon but suggesting that it will get shorted. Different things entirely. I think Amazon will survive this and become a buying opportunity at lower prices.

Similar thing with the others. These are the kinds of companies shorts like to short. I don't short, but shorts are always looking for targets of opportunity among high-PE companies whose fundamentals they think can't possibly be that good.

Maybe a better headline might be "Looking for Mr. Netflix." But I figured that might be a big obscure, so I went with something more straightforward.

Sorry if it was confusing.
    Jan 10, 2012. 04:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I don't know about that. A $200 tablet is pretty innovative. Samsung is putting its own UI on to some of their kit. There's stuff happening all the time on Android, and customers can choose whose way they want to go with.
    Jan 10, 2012. 01:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Windows Server Revenues Face Greater Danger [View article]
    Here's the problem. Microsoft's customer base isn't interested in Microsoft's cloud. They like their current set-ups. They're conservative and rely on vendors. As opposed to those using open source, who are active and moving faster to the cloud.
    Jan 10, 2012. 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect Google Downgrades As Motorola Acquisition Nears [View article]
    I assume you're talking here about their self-driving car, already licensed for use in Las Vegas. They need to get the system's size and cost down so someone like Ford can make it an option. A few years away.
    Jan 10, 2012. 01:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect Google Downgrades As Motorola Acquisition Nears [View article]
    You're right. I wrote this story early yesterday and the desk apologized for getting to it late.

Dead cats bounce, though. I expect more pressure, still, going below $600. I don't think we're at the end of the current negative pattern, as the Motorola closing approaches.
    Jan 10, 2012. 01:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell The Nokia-Microsoft Rumor [View article]
    I think the tale of the tape will be told by the summer. If Lumia 900 makes serious headway MSFT might be interested in buying and NOK may be willing to sell. If not, no -- #fail all around.
    Jan 10, 2012. 11:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment