Dana Blankenhorn

View Dana Blankenhorn's Comments BY TICKER:
  • SolarCity Making Storage The Hot New Trend In Solar [View article]
    Grid storage is important for reasons other than serving the interests of solar. It's also important for making sure power is "clean" -- controlled within a narrow band of voltage, wattage, etc. -- for computers.
    Mar 21, 2015. 01:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SolarCity Making Storage The Hot New Trend In Solar [View article]
    SCTY and now SUNE, two of the largest solar outfits in the U.S., have committed to storage. SUNE's announcement is actually the "news peg" here, but SCTY's commitment is larger so I focused on them.
    Mar 21, 2015. 01:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Federal fracking rules set to be unveiled tomorrow [View news story]
    I am old enough to remember when the Texas Railroad Commission's mission was to prevent gluts like the present one that destroy shareholder value.
    Mar 21, 2015. 10:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Herbalife Actually Selling Anything? [View article]
    I think I'm going to pass on more comments to you. I don't care for bullies. I am logical. I am an accurate reporter. I know that. I don't care to engage with those who seek only to dehumanize and destroy others.

Argue with an empty room.
    Mar 21, 2015. 10:31 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook's China Campaign [View article]
    Yes. A better life than flipping burgers.

What's needed -- and what generally happens -- is that increased value from machines leads directly to increased prosperity for people. That's how it has worked for 200 years.

Will politics sometimes need to play its part in assuring this? Of course. As prosperity increases societies become more complex. But the arrow of progress always points upward.
    Mar 21, 2015. 10:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Herbalife Actually Selling Anything? [View article]
    I don't hate the investment. I don't have the investment. I'm neither long nor am I short.

Everyone on this thread is free to make any decision they wish concerning an investment in this stock, based on their own view of the risk I bring up.

You seem to think I shouldn't bring up a risk because it isn't proven to be a risk. That's not the way markets work. If you're not aware of all the risk in an investment -- if those who see risk are forbidden from speaking through the intimidation of those who own the shares -- that's a danger.

You should be glad there are bearish comments on a stock you own. When everyone is all-in on an investment, THAT is when its price collapses. Because there are no longer any potential buyers to be convinced.
    Mar 21, 2015. 09:49 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Herbalife Actually Selling Anything? [View article]
    You keep making a false claim. I'm not an "accuser." I'm a reporter.

I simply put 2+2 together and found a problem Herbalife is going to have to address. If supplement makers are being told to substantiate what is in their product, then given the fact Herbalife creates supplements it is going to face this problem. You think they won't? Fine. Why? You don't have to give reasons because I'm an "accuser?" That's nonsense.

You seem to think this is a court of law. It's not. It's a discussion, about a market, in a stock.

Anyone who falls in love with their investment deserves to lose their money.
    Mar 21, 2015. 09:44 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Oil Crash Presages The Next One [View article]
    The US is a leader in this technology, but the fact that China has producers is actually a good thing.

I fail, in general, to find any rationale to support a commodity whose price is controlled by other countries. If domestic energy supply is controlled through a free market and can be locally produced, that's what we all want. That's what we get with renewables.

This is an area where supply is rising steadily, where devices for production can be made at lower-and-lower cost, with higher-and-higher yield, and where scaling is all that's required to produce abundance.
    Mar 21, 2015. 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Oil Crash Presages The Next One [View article]
    Happy to join you there any time.
    Mar 21, 2015. 09:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Oil Crash Presages The Next One [View article]
    Oil prices will, in time, go lower and stay there. Because devices will keep taking a larger-and-larger share of the market as those costs fall below oil.

Solar and wind are not yet ready to take on the whole energy burden. But once you put a device into production, it stays there.

I'm making an economic argument.
    Mar 20, 2015. 04:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Herbalife Actually Selling Anything? [View article]
    Everything they sell is basically patent medicine.
    Mar 20, 2015. 02:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Herbalife Actually Selling Anything? [View article]
    Your personal attacks only demonstrate how powerful the case against Herbalife is becoming. I'd ask you how many shares you own, but I doubt if I would get an honest answer.
    Mar 20, 2015. 02:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Federal fracking rules set to be unveiled tomorrow [View news story]
    They also slow crack sales.
    Mar 20, 2015. 12:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Herbalife Actually Selling Anything? [View article]
    Not at all. Sometimes I'm wrong. Everyone is wrong sometimes, in the near term. We'll see how things play out over time.

I was recently dumped on by a fan of a stock I'd written about in December, calling me out because people had missed profits over my bad call. The stock, at the time, was $1/share higher than when I wrote about it. It's now lower.
    Mar 20, 2015. 12:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Herbalife Actually Selling Anything? [View article]
    I disagree. And honest disagreement is the essence of journalism. I haven't lied here. I expressed an opinion based on true events. You think no one should be allowed to do that. Sorry, not going to happen. Such discussions as this are essential to the workings of a free market.
    Mar 20, 2015. 12:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment