Dana Blankenhorn

View Dana Blankenhorn's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Get Ready For The Stupid Recession [View article]
    Which means austerity. I'm not going to repeat it. Get a textbook and look it up.
    Feb 19 02:26 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A pair of right-to-work bills are officially passed in Michigan to set the stage for new employees at General Motors (GM +0.3%), Ford (F -0.1%), and Chrysler (FIATY.PK) to skip around union fees. While labor groups are still making quite a bit of noise on the issue, the Big Three have been deathly quiet[View news story]
    I have to call B.S. on that. We've seen what happened when, say, baseball players and football players and basketball players were unorganized. And what happened after. What happened after was everyone made more money.

I know your ideology forbids it, but if money can be organized so can labor. I'm not for a race to bottom.
    Dec 11 03:46 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Paul Krugman Is Right [View article]
    Absolutely. Krugman's point was that it should go into infrastructure. Political negotiations within the Congress caused it to go into other directions -- Republicans demanded tax cuts, and only allowed debate on the page after they got their way.

Lots of revisionists want to pretend "the President had it all his own way in 2009," but the strict Senate filibuster rule, and its use by the GOP minority, kept that from happening.

There are reports that the rules will be revisited for the coming session, meaning the 55 vote majority of 2013 may be more powerful than the 60 vote one of 2009. But then the GOP retains a 35 vote edge in the House, so regardless...like all crisis-era Presidents (save FDR), President Obama must compromise and push to get his way.

Saw the "Lincoln" movie by the way. There's an ending before hte ending that should have been the ending. That's all I'll say about it.
    Nov 17 07:49 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Paul Krugman Is Right [View article]
    Social mobility is more than the freedom of poor people to enter into wealth. It's also the responsibility of wealthy people to take care, lest they become poor.

That has become lost in our own time. There no longer seems to be a way to impoverish the ignorant scions of wealth, no matter what they do.There should be.
    Nov 17 11:01 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • "There are huge benefits to size," says Jamie Dimon (JPM), trying to wrap up in a ball and toss out arguments to break up the TBTFs. "We bank CAT in 40 countries. We can do a $20B bridge loan overnight ... invest billions in ATMs and apps ... (the benefits) accrue to the customer. That's what capitalism is." [View news story]
    Yes, I will always obey my Galtian overlords. (Not) Ever wonder why Fannie and Freddie did all that? Because the industry told them to. Congress doesn't act in defiance of business, and only ideologues think differently.
    Aug 13 11:47 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Falling Oil Knife Means Stick A Fork In Chesapeake [View article]
    It is fun, though, watching those who suck at the government teat full time complaining when a rising alternative gets a few drops.
    Jun 21 05:15 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Falling Oil Knife Means Stick A Fork In Chesapeake [View article]
    Eliminate all fossil fuel subsidies. Eliminate all their tax breaks. Charge them their external costs. All of them -- the carbon, the pollution, the full price on leases with government land, the risks of fracking -- all of it.

Price it at cost and then we'll talk.
    Jun 21 04:46 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Falling Oil Knife Means Stick A Fork In Chesapeake [View article]
    Lie all you want. NatGas is priced below production costs right now, so if you want to talk losses we can talk losses. Plus all the subsidies and ignoring of external costs that oil and gas enjoy, because they were given that power by the government.

Going galt? Go solar.
    Jun 21 04:11 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Says Net Neutrality Debate Just Got Real With Comcast [View article]
    When Netflix streams content to you, they do pay for that bandwidth. What's at issue is whether they should also pay for your driveway, and whether the guy who sold you the driveway should be able to determine where you can go when you drive, and make you use their roads rather than others'.
    Apr 16 01:04 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Employment Recovery Is Real [View article]
    "Giant sucking sound." - H.R. Perot.
    Mar 9 08:20 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Employment Recovery Is Real [View article]
    I have no problem admitting that debt is a problem. It was caused by putting wars on the credit card, on unfunded tax cuts, and the great recession.

The tax cuts are ending. The recession is ending. Let's find a reasonable way to pay for those wars and we're about done -- we'll be on a glide path to the budget balance we had when (ahem) Bill Clinton was President.
    Mar 9 03:43 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • You Need To Pay Higher Taxes So We Don't Become Greece Or Italy [View article]
    Ah yes, a catfood advocate speaks up. I especially like the bit about "mercantilism and Keynesianism, both discredited," lumping together what Adam Smith attacked with what Milton Friedman attacked.

Then adding the line about "the long-term sustainable taxation level of about 21% (federal). The Simpson-Bowles Commission attempted just that."

Who made that a magic level? No one. It's just so much lower than what we presently spend that we have to break our promises to grandma for comfort in her old age to get there. Unless, of course, we cut defense. Which I'd support.
    Nov 15 03:50 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The underlying message of the Wall Street protests is something the big banks and corporate America may finally have to grapple with before it becomes dangerous: accountability for unchecked power and greed. They're the "Tea Party with brains" - but what do they want in capitalism's place?  [View news story]
    Instead of capitalism? We want capitalism.

We want protection of law for honest business, and we want crooks to go to jail.

This "deregulation" nonsense has become the cover for actual lawbreaking, which has done tremendous damage to every law-abiding businessperson, investor, and consumer.

What Nixon wanted as cops on the streets. I agree. It works. Now how about some cops in the suites?
    Oct 4 06:59 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May End Mobile Phone Contract Era [View article]
    I find this attitude interesting. So many here malign the motivations of all businesses on the one hand, while on the other demanding that these same businessmen be given absolute power to control our laws and run our lives.

I like capitalism. I am amused by those who call me a socialist. But I've also learned that even among capitalists there are many people who aren't all about the Benjamins. I also know this is a problem for those same people, because it's in the nature of the system that if you leave Benjamins on the table, someone else is going to eat your lunch.

Of course, knowing this is natural to capitalism, I also like democracy. I'd like a democratic government big enough to control all actors in a capitalistic system, because if it isn't big enough then those capitalists become the government.

This has happened in our history. The story of the late 19th century is all about that. And I think history is repeating itself in our time.

But that's another debate for another time. For now, let me thank all those who commented, and apologize to anyone whom I offended in response.
    Aug 27 03:09 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whether Michele Bachmann Really Could Give Us $2 Gas [View article]
    I do make mistakes, like everyone. If you don't care to believe a thing I write because of your ideological blinders, that's your choice.

But in a free market we make our own choices. We don't let the bolsheviks decide who is politically correct and who is anathema. Not even when they take the name of our great German cities.

Oh, by the way. I use my own name here. What's yours?
    Aug 19 11:39 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment