Dana Blankenhorn

View Dana Blankenhorn's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • How Much Is Vivus Worth? [View article]
    Appreciate the warning, and all the good words.
    Apr 30, 2012. 09:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Is Vivus Worth? [View article]
    Many millions of people are far more tan 10% overweight. Many many millions are 30% or more overweight.
    Apr 30, 2012. 04:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Recession You Can Love [View article]
    I have yet to see anything in the private economy showing more more than a brief slowdown caused by a more restrictive fiscal policy. Less spending is restrictive.

I suspect policymakers everywhere are starting to figure that out. Inflation is not a problem until it is a problem. Deflation is much, much worse, and so much of it is built into the economy.
    Apr 30, 2012. 04:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Microsoft Got In The Nook Deal [View article]
    Both GaTech and Emory here in Atlanta use B&N for their main bookstore. I'd like to see one at GaState because they're a bit short on places to hang around at the moment...pretty much a commuter school.
    Apr 30, 2012. 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Is Vivus Worth? [View article]
    All good comments. My reading indicates that Qnexa may have an advantage on the relative safety issue, since it combines two medicines that have already been shown, individually, to be relatively safe.

I strongly suspect that most doctors facing an obese patient will recommend surgery ahead of any of these drugs, given the limited effectiveness. I'm about 10% over my ideal BMI, and if I weren't on hypertension meds I'd be interested in this.

As it is, fruit and exercise for me.
    Apr 30, 2012. 02:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Microsoft Got In The Nook Deal [View article]
    I can see Metro as an interface for it.
    Apr 30, 2012. 12:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Microsoft Got In The Nook Deal [View article]
    That's right. But B&N's entry into the college bookstore market gives it a strategy no competitor has.
    Apr 30, 2012. 11:34 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Microsoft Got In The Nook Deal [View article]
    The Nook is a channel. But the stores are also a channel. The stores, after all, sell the device. And the stores are big in a market MSFT needs to dominate in order to succeed.
    Apr 30, 2012. 11:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AllScripts: Can This Dead Cat Bounce Back? [View article]
    Yes, GE Health is a big player in this game. But they have their own software. It would cost much less to call on Allscripts customers and switch them than to buy the company. Maybe they could do it for SaaS, but it would have to be at a bargain price.
    Apr 30, 2012. 09:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • VMWare Stands Strong In Face Of Code Leak [View article]
    There are many good jobs in computer security, and many interesting ideas there. I've found that most of those involved in "black hat" hacking now are either political activists, script kiddies with no skills, or people in places were legitimate markets are small, such as the Ukraine. Also, foreign policy.
    Apr 30, 2012. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon: Now Comes The Hard Part [View article]
    I bought some AMZN at around $180 and I'm sitting on it. But I'm in for the long term. The gyrations don't bother me.

I am wondering whether a split is coming, though. AMZN gets enormous value from its high stock price and even th ough a split means nothing technically it often winds up meaning something in the end.
    Apr 27, 2012. 01:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon: Now Comes The Hard Part [View article]
    This is a stock that's tough to short. Those who shorted before the latest earnings were forced to buy it back or lose their shirts today.

That said, shorting at current levels will probably happen. Given AAPL trading at 16x and AMZN trading at 200x it's bound to happen.

Good luck.
    Apr 27, 2012. 01:05 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon: Now Comes The Hard Part [View article]
    That's a good way to play it.
    Apr 27, 2012. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AllScripts: Can This Dead Cat Bounce Back? [View article]
    There is some speculation in the piece about possible buyouts.

Allscripts does have significant market share in the space. The HITECH stimulus process is ongoing and until now attempts to get into the space by major players without buying into it have failed.

The most likely buyers, to my mind, would be a company like HP, which has EDS, or Dell, which has Perot Systems. Both are building clouds that could host, both have software expertise that could fix what's there, both have brands that could hold customers while they do the work.

But the price would have to be right, and I'm not convinced that the price is yet right.
    Apr 27, 2012. 12:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chinese Consumers Give Apple Its Latest Blow-Out Quarter [View article]
    The idea is that China Mobile may be more willing to deal seeing how successful the iPhone is for rivals. Like Verizon in the U.S.
    Apr 27, 2012. 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment