Dana Blankenhorn

View Dana Blankenhorn's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Starbucks: The New Coca-Cola [View article]
    I was confused by the Bloomberg piece as well. Because I vividly recall walking into a Starbucks, in Italy, during my recent visit there.
    Feb 19, 2012. 09:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time For Dynegy Show To End [View article]
    What's most important, among all the links i this article, is that the bankruptcy trustee is skeptical. Remains skeptical. Even today.
    Feb 19, 2012. 09:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time For Dynegy Show To End [View article]
    I think you both have it. Wolfeye -- all three. Sophomore, you too.
    Feb 19, 2012. 09:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Right Way To Evaluate Apple: Divide By 10 [View article]
    I am with you. I held Apple through most of the 1990s, even a year into the Jobs era. Everything else in my portfolio was popping, Apple was going nowhere fast, so I sold at a loss.

I screwed up, and it kept me from getting back in for years and years.
    Feb 19, 2012. 09:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Chesapeake Be 2012's First Solar? [View article]
    My take on the cost reductions is simple. Good luck with that.
    Feb 17, 2012. 03:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Chesapeake Be 2012's First Solar? [View article]
    You're probably right about the thin skin. I should probably let people who say my analysis sucks and they're fracking pissed at themselves for wasting so much time on it slide down my back.

But CHK is a very controversial company. I sort of tapped a horde with this one and went with it.

I'll shut up now.
    Feb 17, 2012. 01:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Chesapeake Be 2012's First Solar? [View article]
    So you're saying CHK is 2012's First Solar, then? <g>

Actually, I'm glad to say other analysts agree with me. http://bit.ly/wvLYVQ CHK is a controversial stock, and whether you think it's a buy or a sell really depends on what you think of its CEO, Aubrey McClendon.

From Motley Fool's latest piece. "While Chesapeake unquestionably holds the mantle of the leader of the pack among the early developers -- and even discoverers -- of unconventional plays, it continues to be run like a private company that happens to enjoy access to public capital."
    Feb 17, 2012. 10:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Meg Whitman And HP's Great 'FUD' Offensive [View article]
    What I meant was that the heart of the company was in Agilent, and since that was spun-out the firm has had no heart. Were Bill and Dave still around they'd work for A, not HPQ.
    Feb 17, 2012. 10:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Chesapeake Be 2012's First Solar? [View article]
    Markets are not a popularity contest. CHK is estimated by Kapitall to have a roughly 30% chance of going bankrupt, in a list headed by Dendreon. (I hadn't seen that story until this morning.)
    Feb 17, 2012. 09:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Meg Whitman And HP's Great 'FUD' Offensive [View article]
    The problem was the heart of the company, and the HP Way, was in the testing business, spun out in 1999 (if memory serves) as Agilent, trading under the symbol A.

What was left, under the HP name, was the computer business that hired Carly Fiorina and then bought Compaq -- which had previously bought DEC, Tandem, and other boat anchors.
    Feb 17, 2012. 08:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Turns Motorola Into Google, Is Transformed [View article]
    You're right. Maybe Google should wait until Sprint files for bankruptcy.
    Feb 17, 2012. 08:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dendreon Gains Will Be Short-Lived [View article]
    To all the Dendreon bulls out there, I wrote this about a week after Kapitall put Dendreon on the top of its "most likely to go bankrupt" list. http://bit.ly/wCZiFS
    Feb 17, 2012. 08:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Meg Whitman And HP's Great 'FUD' Offensive [View article]
    What she's talking about is webOS. Rubenstein left. There is no "there" there. I've seen this movie before and I know how it ends. So that's how I write it.
    Feb 17, 2012. 07:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Chesapeake Be 2012's First Solar? [View article]
    You and I have a disagreement. Why can't we leave it at that? Why do you have to claim I have no right to comment, or write what I wrote? That's self-evident idiocy.

If you don't like someone or what they write, don't read it. Don't trouble your beautiful mind. It's a great way to go broke.
    Feb 16, 2012. 09:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Chesapeake Be 2012's First Solar? [View article]
    That's what I saw today. You're right. There are some traders betting on a slight move down from here, using calls to get some return on it. And short interest is pretty high.

Which may be why the stock's boosters have been so vociferous. I've noticed that, when I talk down almost any stock, there's a delay, and then all those long come in calling me names, saying I don't know what I'm talking about, etc. etc.
    Feb 16, 2012. 08:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment