Dane Bowler

View Dane Bowler's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Stellar Fundamentals Obfuscated By Confusing Events At Ashford Hospitality Trust [View article]
    John,

Thank you for the comments. I share your frustration with Monty's buying spree at expensive prices.
    Jun 15, 2015. 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Understanding,

It could be any number of factors, including the highland buy that you mentioned. I think it is probably the aggregation of everything hitting critical mass where there are just too few people who consider it investable right now
    Jun 15, 2015. 10:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    galicianova,

HT is very strong with arguably the best management among hotel REITs and property level outperformance. I also really like SOHO right now on valuation.
    Jun 15, 2015. 10:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Update:

Since writing this article, AHT has issued press releases on 2 new acquisitions. These are quite substantial in size and may affect my thesis. I will analyze these deals and update again with further comments
    Jun 12, 2015. 12:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Rich Valuations And Slow Growth Portend Danger For High-End Apartment REITs [View article]
    aretailguy,

I've just started looking at NXRT. It seems interesting but I have alot of work to do on it yet.

Thanks for reading
    May 29, 2015. 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Hospitality REIT Is A Prime Short Target With A Highly Catalyzed Drop To Proper Valuation [View article]
    Michael,

As such a new issue it can take a bit for custodians to "ok" it for shorting. Through E-Trade I have been able to short without any additional costs, but some custodians are still in the review process as it is so new.

Give it a week and I think it will be available on most platforms.
    May 28, 2015. 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Brad,

thanks for reading. I enjoyed your WP Glimcher article today
    May 28, 2015. 10:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    nyugrad,

I suspect you are right that the investor base is very old. However, I disagree on the advice their brokers will give them.

Brokers are incentivized to transact as frequently as possible as that is where they earn fees. Many brokers will be eager to roll their client's money into something else.
    May 28, 2015. 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    nishtu,

My NAV was based on RevPAR and using a cap rate similar to companies of similar RevPAR. While the timing may have been opportunistic as you mentioned, non-traded REITs have a tendency to just buy whatever is available without being selective.

Hope this helps,
    May 28, 2015. 10:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Layup,

Well, they would be buying overpriced stock (in my opinion) so that would make it look even worse.
    May 27, 2015. 04:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • City Office REIT Has 55% Upside Fueled By Rapid Growth And Deep Undervaluation [View article]
    Foster,

Thank you for the response.

I am interested in your analysis on orlando. What leads you to believe it is becoming overbuilt? Further color would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for furthering the discussion
    Apr 5, 2015. 12:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rotorite,

A majority of that 30% is not from rent increases, but rather an increase in number of properties as the $110mm of liquidity gets invested.

Hope this helps
    Apr 5, 2015. 11:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Philip,

I agree completely on SOHO. Very undervalued
    Apr 5, 2015. 11:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Funny you should mention it.

FYI if you look in the section titled risks and concerns, one of the bullet points is leverage/
    Apr 5, 2015. 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Berloe,

I share your concerns about external management incentives, which is why corporate governance is so important. While the blocking of the Maryland Unsolicited Takeover Act was a big step in the right direction, we should definately keep a watchful eye.

Thanks for reading