Dane Bowler

View Dane Bowler's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My 2Q 2013 Diversified REIT Portfolio Designed For Outperformance [View article]
    smlaker,

Well, Brad and I simply disagree on this one. I think OHI and AVIV are high quality companies and there is little reason to think they are riskier. High cap rate acquisitions do not necessitate a lower quality of property. They are correlated because low quality properties tend to sell for cheaper, but as we know, correlation does not prove causation.

I believe that OHI and AVIV are able to attain such high cap rate acquisitions because of the fact that most healthcare properties are currently owned by the operators. This paradigm is shifting toward REIT ownership and in the process many high quality properties can be purchased at accretive cap rates.

I respect Brad's knowledge on REITs and neither one of us is necessarily wrong here. It is just a difference of perspective. I tend to prefer value while he tends to prefer blue chips.

I hope this helps to clear it up.

Thanks
    Apr 4, 2013. 08:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Funny you should mention that as I just now finished a focus article on STAG suggesting it is too expensive. MPW is arguably getting into that territory as well.
    Apr 4, 2013. 05:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    LSE has become much lower risk now that they have put so much effort into delevering. Whitestone is a bit riskier as it relies on a finicky retail market as well as continued growth. In my opinion this risk is worth it for the oversized dividend and appreciation potential,
    Apr 4, 2013. 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    galicianova,

I would consider the healthcare REITs, AVIV and OHI to be among the less risky along with the preferred stock.
    Apr 4, 2013. 04:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    bucknfl,

TAL is also interesting, but quite different.

It has the largest dividend but also the highest leverage. Essentially its more risk and more reward. It has had a nice sell-off these past few days so it may be at an opportunistic price.

Well, that is my 2 cents. Thanks for commenting
    Apr 4, 2013. 12:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    cweby,

I have no idea where you got the idea that I invest in funds. I never have and perhaps never will. If you are referring to the table listing the funds, that is simply showing my performance RELATIVE to the funds. I invest in REITs and other hand-selected companies.
    Apr 4, 2013. 09:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Apr 4, 2013. 12:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Larry,

Absolutely. If it is anything like the last offering, the dip could be sizable but brief.
    Apr 3, 2013. 05:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Asset Allocation And The Negative Selection Factor [View article]
    Disallusioned,

You are absolutely correct on this matter. Just because a portfolio by definition has an asset allocation does not entail that there was a decision to have such an allocation. There is a clear difference in process of a portfolio built from the bottom up rather than from the top down. Suggesting that stock picking entails an asset allocation decision is only true if all investors build their portfolios top down. This is not the case and is therefore untrue.

I don't think anyone is refuting the author's point that every portfolio has an asset allocation. The error comes in assuming it was part of the decision making process.

That being said, I found the article to be a very interesting read and I thoroughly enjoyed this piece.
    Apr 3, 2013. 01:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tremendous Growth Potential At CAI International [View article]
    Russell,

That is a valid point. Its a fine line to walk as the readers come from varying levels of familiarity with the company. I try to include as much pertinent information as possible while keeping it succinct. Perhaps a brief company description would be a nice thing to include and I'll keep it in mind.
    Apr 2, 2013. 03:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tremendous Growth Potential At CAI International [View article]
    Hokie,

Thank you for the added information. An excellent point
    Apr 2, 2013. 12:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Realty Capital Properties Gets Too Ambitious [View article]
    Well it depends on the price of the shares. The cash portion of the transaction is accretive, but the share portion is not unless the market price is much higher than it is now.
    Mar 29, 2013. 05:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Realty Capital Properties Gets Too Ambitious [View article]
    thanks brad, I enjoyed your article as well
    Mar 28, 2013. 11:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Realty Capital Properties Gets Too Ambitious [View article]
    omer,

Or perhaps Mr. Market didn't look any further than the dividend raise and the "10% accretive" advertising.
    Mar 28, 2013. 07:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • American Realty Capital Properties: David Acquires Goliath [View article]
    It just came out, here's the link
    Mar 27, 2013. 04:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment