Dane Bowler

View Dane Bowler's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My 2014 Diversified REIT Portfolio Designed For Outperformance [View article]
    Jan 7 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Diversified REIT Portfolio Designed For Outperformance [View article]
    Rubygreta,

If you lack the time to perform the due diligence to pick individual securities, a Vanguard ETF can be a great way to go. Solid diversification and low fees.
    Jan 7 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Impending Dividend Cut Makes Gladstone Land A Prime Short Opportunity [View article]
    FCFGUY,

They didn't elect to start the oversized dividend, they legally HAD to. When a company first becomes a REIT as LAND did, they have to pay out a certain portion of former aggregated earnings. This was all announced in the press release. Now that they have paid out an amount sufficient to match legal compliance, they can bring the dividend down to a sustainable level.

In some ways, 0.04 monthly isn't even considered a cut. It is just a cessation of the "special" dividends.

I hope this helps to clarify
    Jan 3 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    FCFGUY,

Please reread the article as all of the issues you bring up were addressed directly.
    Jan 2 05:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • REIT Tax Loss Selling Creates Opportunity [View article]
    ricksteph,

It is hard for me to believe that the drops were for fundamental reasons when the 4 selected companies are performing so well fundamentally. It didn't make sense to detail these fundamentals in the article, but the provided links make that case for me.

I hope this helps to clarify and thank you for furthering the discussion.
    Dec 29 12:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    runningyet,

The dividend cut will have no impact on GOOD because it was never intended to go above $0.04 monthly. This cut is not indicative of poor company performance, simply a cessation of the "special" dividend required for REIT compliance.
    Dec 28 10:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    erick,

Yes, the short seller is responsible for the dividend. However, the last special dividend went ex on the 16th of December so the short seller will NOT be responsible for that. Shorts will only have to pay the going forward div rate which is far less painful.

I hope this clarifies, and thank you for furthering the discussion.
    Dec 27 05:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    bale,

As you know, the yield will depend on the market price. I don't think anything beyond $0.48 annually is feasible in the next couple years, so the 4-5% yield is only feasible if the market price drops substantially.

At its current growth rate, I don't think it will drop quite that far, but if we assume that my thesis is right, you may get the opportunity to buy at a high 3% yield.

I hope this helps
    Dec 27 01:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    netwall,

In going public as a REIT, LAND was required to pay out a certain percent of its accumulated earnings. Consequently, in 2013, LAND is paying out earnings not only from 2013, but from prior years as well. Going forward, it will only need to pay out 90% of current year earnings to meet REIT requirements. the $0.04 monthly will be easily sufficient to cover this requirement.

I hope this helps to clarify, and thanks for reading
    Dec 26 02:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ventas: Get Blue Chip Quality Without Paying For It [View article]
    Thanks Morgan, I look forward to reading your article.
    Dec 6 12:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ventas: Get Blue Chip Quality Without Paying For It [View article]
    Morgan,

Sorry for the late response. While that article was about VTR vs OHI, I regard Ventas as the highest quality healthcare REIT and this includes HCP and HCN. I hope this helps clarify my position and thanks for furthering the discussion.
    Dec 6 01:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ventas: Get Blue Chip Quality Without Paying For It [View article]
    galicianova,

I am still of the impression that HTA is overpriced relative to the other healthcare REITS. That being said, I am less familiar with HTA than I am with some of the others so don't put too much stake in my opinion on HTA.
    Dec 3 03:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ventas: Get Blue Chip Quality Without Paying For It [View article]
    implied value,

In my opinion, VTR is higher quality. For the reasons why please reference my former VTR article.

Dec 3 01:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ventas: Get Blue Chip Quality Without Paying For It [View article]
    platonic,

As far as I know, there is no way to measure when most of the tax-loss selling is complete. It is a judgement call.
    Dec 2 02:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ashford Hospitality Presents A Potential 40% Upside Catalyzed By Impending Spin-Off [View article]
    Galicianova,

In my opinion AHT is a better value than AHP at current pricing. In terms of HT, I think it is a decent stock but not opportunistic at the moment.

Just my opinion.