Dane Bowler

View Dane Bowler's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Strongest REIT Opportunity Of This Earnings Season: Omega Healthcare [View article]
    DH56,

Grats on the $21 shares and I think you were wise to add under $30
    Aug 6 10:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Emergent Mispricing From The Indiscriminate REIT Sell-Off [View article]
    Brad,

I agree on HCP. I was debating on whether to write about that or VTR as both got cheap, but in the end I feel Debbie Cafaro is the tie breaker.
    Aug 6 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am long MPW as I feel it is undervalued. It's hospital portfolio compliments the SNF concentration of OHI quite nicely so one could certainly be long both.

In my opinion, HTA is still a bit too pricey.
    Aug 6 10:11 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Specialty Fiber Dominance Propels Rayonier's Outperformance [View article]
    galicia,

Its $0.49 quarterly
    Aug 5 10:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Superb Fundamentals Portend 100% Upside For Sotherly Hotels [View article]
    Gregg,

No new information has come out on the matter, so I cannot really provide additional opinion from what was in the article. SOHO's earnings are going to be released on the 6th of August, so we should get plenty of new information then.

I anticipate a strong quarter as foreshadowed by their recent dividend increase.
    Aug 1 04:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Harbinger Of Hersha Hospitality's Impending Success [View article]
    ted,

Just 1 from me. REITs by Block
    Jul 28 10:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Specialty Fiber Dominance Propels Rayonier's Outperformance [View article]
    Well the IRS has been on a new direction lately. They have stopped giving favorable PLRs to unusual REIT structures like EQIX, but they have not begun revoking former PLRs. As RYN's fiber business is currently REIT qualifying, I suspect it will remain that way.
    Jul 26 12:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Harbinger Of Hersha Hospitality's Impending Success [View article]
    Sammy,

I find a dividend increase to be unlikely. Management seems intent on redeploying its earnings into growth.
    Jul 25 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Harbinger Of Hersha Hospitality's Impending Success [View article]
    streakmarine,

Hotels are traditionally volatile so that favors options, but this volatility may already be priced in. I can't help you much here as I am not an options guy.

Good luck
    Jul 24 03:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diversification Fallacies, Part 2: Diversification Stacking [View article]
    Well that would be one of those companies that is in itself rather diversified. If one were to only buy a single stock, something like that could provide a fair amount of diversification. As part of a portfolio, however, it may or may not add diversification depending on how it fundamentally mixes wit the other holdings.

Admittedly, FSC is out of my wheelhouse so I cannot give any more detail than that.
    Jul 20 10:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diversification Fallacies, Part 2: Diversification Stacking [View article]
    Good question,

Despite such a nice run, it is actually still the cheapest in the sector. In my opinion it is still a desirable buy
    Jul 19 02:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diversification Fallacies, Part 2: Diversification Stacking [View article]
    tampat,

It is thought that the continuing implementation of Obamacare will increase overall demand for the healthcare sector, but it could pose a threat to operators in terms of reimbursement.

The 3 key aspects to look at to test if this is a threat are
    1) Source of revenue: government, insurance, or private pay
    2) Type of care: One could presume that reimbursement would be more likely to be cut on treatment that is closer to elective rather than life saving.
    3) EBITDAR coverage of the underlying operators: Those with sufficient coverage would be able to maintain payments to the REITs even if cashflows were slightly hurt.

Each company and operator would have to be studied on a case by case basis to truly know, but I believe most of the healthcare REITs are reasonably safe as the operators will take the hit first.
    Jul 19 02:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diversification Fallacies, Part 2: Diversification Stacking [View article]
    galicianova,

HTA is primarily MOBs and MPW is all hospitals so the SNFs of OHI would be a great balance with those. HTA is still a bit expensive IMO, but it is one of the better pure-plays for MOBs so it could have a place.
    Jul 19 02:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another View On 'Diversification Fallacies, Part 1: Asset Allocation' [View article]
    Klarsolo,

Apology fully accepted.

There is a substantial time commitment to checking on the original source and it is not always worth it, so I can certainly understand why you would not have.

I appreciate the fact that you went back, checked the data and pulled your former comment.

Good luck in your investing endeavors,
    Dane
    Jul 18 02:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Daniel,

I respect the fact that you are making an effort to clarify misunderstandings. My argument really comes down to this.

Asset allocation may but DOES NOT NECESSARILY help diversify. The only way to determine whether actual diversification is achieved is to look at the granular fundamental risks.

Statistics and empirical studies as you point out are all going to be correlational and not causal. This equates to asset allocation being a heuristic rather than a deterministic method for diversification.

If you recall, my article mentioned that there are many legitimate reasons to use asset allocation. It was merely pointing out that its not NECESSARILY the best method and in SOME cases can be very bad.
    Jul 18 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment