Daniel Fridson

View Daniel Fridson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Digging For Gold Mining Stocks [View article]
    Z scores are not completely useless for mature mining companies, although of course there are far better tools. It doesn't take quant analysis to figure out that companies like Barrick overplayed their hand during the gold boom and are now struggling to create shareholder value with their high debt load. Even Jamie Sokalsky admitted as much when he took the job.

On a side note, looking at individual assets on an NAV/project economics requires a level of detail that I wouldn't expect from an overview article like this. I think there are broader sector-wide questions that some investors would need to consider before even getting into that.
    Feb 5, 2014. 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerging Market Turmoil: Danger Or Opportunity? [View article]
    The precedent the author is trying to imply is 1997, not 2008. I doubt any big banks will go under due to an EM crisis, but it could have myriad unpleasant affects across the financial sector.
    I don't think we're due for a repeat of '97, but I believe that to be Mr. Gamble's reasoning.
    Feb 4, 2014. 07:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerging Market Turmoil: Danger Or Opportunity? [View article]
    You raise good points about global debt profiles in the twilight of monetary easing. I think the key is going to be determining which countries have shown the ability to adapt from a policymaking standpoint. Mexico's recent track record bodes well.
    Feb 4, 2014. 06:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Digging For Gold Mining Stocks [View article]
    That's probably the best equity play in the gold sector unless you want to due exhaustive due diligence picking individual juniors. As mentioned in the articles, most of the majors are still trying to extricate themselves from a of questionable projects and high debt loads.
    Feb 4, 2014. 05:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Customers Bancorp: Can Jay Sidhu Build Another Regional Powerhouse? [View article]
    Some of that can certainly be blamed on management for high leverage, but many banks lost significant value during the crisis.
    Jan 11, 2014. 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Community Bank Deserves A Serious Look [View article]
    Very interesting take CBOE Trader. I also very much appreciated the comments, as I had been very casually following CUBI without knowing Sidhu was the CEO.

In an article posted today, I analyzed the "Sidhu discount factor" being priced in. http://seekingalpha.co...
    Jan 10, 2014. 05:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 American Junior Industrial Miners With Plenty Of Upside [View article]
    American Manganese is down to 4 cents, American Vanadium has shot up to the .80-.90 range since this article was posted, and Western Lithium is basically where it was. Pre-production miners are a high-risk high-reward proposition. I still think the Defense Logistics Agency or some other government body will take some action to increase domestic production of Manganese, but direct collaboration with AMYZF may not be one of them.
    Nov 10, 2012. 01:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Midway Gold: Is This Junior Miner Worth Its Weight? [View article]
    The disparity will be corrected at some point, but I honestly don't know what specifically will trigger a rally after all this time. And you can only keep saying the market is wrong so many times before people start whacking you over the head with framed pictures of Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand.
    Sep 5, 2012. 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Midway Gold: Is This Junior Miner Worth Its Weight? [View article]
    I would imagine the scenario you describe playing out. Either way, as long as the drill results hold up, everything else will take care of itself.
    Sep 5, 2012. 03:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mining Executives Talk Tungsten [View article]
    I may write about the Australian producers if they start picking up more steam, but I don't usually cover juniors outside North America.
    Aug 24, 2012. 06:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mining Executives Talk Tungsten [View article]
    Thanks for the posting the report, Col, good background for anyone interested in Tungsten. Glad you enjoyed the article.
    Aug 23, 2012. 11:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 American Junior Industrial Miners With Plenty Of Upside [View article]
    Glad you enjoyed it, Chaz. Please note that the disclaimer at the end of the article is standard and only covers a 72 hour period following publication. In the immediate future, I don't anticipate opening up any new long positions, but I wouldn't rule anything out.
    Aug 15, 2012. 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 American Junior Industrial Miners With Plenty Of Upside [View article]
    I believe that rising manganese prices and the possibility of government assistance makes the stock good value where it is, even with the increase in projected costs. There are clearly risks involved, and if you're less bullish on Manganese and its strategic value than I am, this stock might not be for you.
    Aug 10, 2012. 02:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 American Junior Industrial Miners With Plenty Of Upside [View article]
    I mentioned that Artillery Peak was operational over 50 years ago, abandoned because of falling ore grades and cheap foreign supply and that now American Manganese is moving in because of a new technological process that allows economical processing of lower-grade materials. In general it's not uncommon for properties in the developed world to operate on mines that have already been exploited to some degree.
    That said, you are certainly asking the right questions. Mineral Property reports overseen by a qualified geologists called NI 43-101's contain all data about past drilling, and I encourage prospective investors to look them up on sedar.com
    Aug 9, 2012. 07:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 American Junior Industrial Miners With Plenty Of Upside [View article]
    Thank you. I'm hesitant to give a specific price forecast as I have yet to run a detailed NAV or EV model on the company. That said, I think the stock could make up most of the ground it lost over the past year if Manganese prices head where I and the CPM group think they're going.
    Aug 9, 2012. 09:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment