View as an RSS Feed
View Daniel James' Articles BY TICKER:
Darden's Results Show Some Recovery Amid Investor Activism
- Darden Restaurants has been one of the company's most affected by the downturn in the casual dining industry.
- The latest report shows a bit of a turnaround in its crucial Olive Garden business.
- Continuing investor activism from Starboard should keep the company moving in the right direction.
America's Biggest Supermarket Chain Still Looks Like A Good Bet
- In a tough industry, Kroger's has managed to pull impressive growth over the last few years.
- Second-quarter earnings were once again impressive.
- This growth combined with a very reasonable valuation make the stock an enticing play.
Pep Boys Reports Big Miss On DIY Weakness
- Pep Boys' most recent earnings report missed on the top and bottom line.
- Much of the decline was due to weakness in its retail DIY segment.
- While competitor Advance Auto Parts is also struggling with growing its DIY segment, it has been doing better than Pep Boys over the last few months.
Mattress Firm Rips Up The Competition
- As a result of strength in the housing market, home furnishing retailers are doing well lately.
- Mattress Firm's Q2 report showed considerable strength, with double-digit earnings and revenue growth.
- The results show it is doing considerably better than some of its major competitors in the space.
Conn's Crushed On Bad Debt
- Conn's has over the last few years experienced a period of phenomenal growth.
- Things seem to be turning around though, and the stock is well off its previous highs.
- The latest earnings report sent the stock plunging, as an earnings miss, lowered guidance and especially an increase in bad debt weighed on investor sentiment.
What's Weighing On Best Buy's Turnaround?
- Best Buy has made significant progress in its turnaround efforts under the Renew Blue program.
- However, online competition and weak demand are weighing on revenue growth, sending the stock plummeting following its latest report.
- Still, considering the overall weakness in the electronics market and the sizable earnings beat, the figures don't look too disastrous.
This Casual Dining Chain Is Outpacing The Industry
- Overall, the casual dining industry appears to be stagnating, overshadowed by the rise of fast-casual chains.
- However, Texas Roadhouse is delivering solid growth, outpacing its peers.
- At the same time, it is trading at a discount to the broader restaurant industry.
Aeropostale Falls Further Behind Rival Gap
- Aeropostale is the latest teen fashion retailer to come out with poor quarterly results.
- Having lost money for seven consecutive quarters now, things don't seem to be improving.
- The Gap, on the other hand, seems to have figured out how to stay afloat in the troubled fashion industry.
Housing Market Strength Boosts Home Improvement Chain Results
- July's housing market figures were better than expected.
- Generally, home improvement stores tend to benefit from a strong housing market.
- The most recent figures from Home Depot and Lowe's corroborate the view of a strengthening US housing market.
American Apparel Isn't Out Of The Woods Yet
- American Apparel has been undergoing a management shakeup, following the ousting of its CEO.
- It has been struggling to turn a profit in recent years, and again reported a quarterly loss.
- There are some signs of improvement, but it is far too early to speak of a turnaround.
Is A Slowdown In The Cards For Macau's Casinos?
- Macau's growth in the first half of the year remained more or less intact.
- However, growth is slowing in neighboring Hong Kong, a major source of traffic.
- As a result, Macau revenue and profit may take a significant hit in the second half of the year.
Nordstrom Reports Mixed Results, But Seems Ready For The Future
- Markets punish Nordstrom for weak comp store sales.
- Still, the company delivered an earnings beat, and the outlook is solid.
- Investments in e-commerce capabilities are expected to pay off going forward.
Vipshop Smashes Expectations Yet Again, But Stock Gets Punished
- Vipshop is known for its solid earnings and revenue growth, and has a history of beating expectations.
- Its latest report once again showed impressive growth.
- A selloff following the report may provide investors with an entry-point.
- Income And Possible Upside With Microsoft
- Cisco As An Inexpensive Value Play
- Consider Samsung After The Verdict
- Why Is Everybody Investing In This Chipmaker?
- On Modern Portfolio Theory And Asset Allocation
- Markets Hopeful Over The Summer, But Getting Overbought
- The Rally In Treasuries Hasn't Ended Yet
- Volkswagen Is Undervalued And Gearing Up For Record Sales
- The Consequences Of Prospect Capital's Secondary Offering
- Looking For Stability In Troubled Europe: The Case For Unilever