View as an RSS Feed
View Daniel James' Articles BY TICKER:
What's Weighing On Best Buy's Turnaround?
- Best Buy has made significant progress in its turnaround efforts under the Renew Blue program.
- However, online competition and weak demand are weighing on revenue growth, sending the stock plummeting following its latest report.
- Still, considering the overall weakness in the electronics market and the sizable earnings beat, the figures don't look too disastrous.
This Casual Dining Chain Is Outpacing The Industry
- Overall, the casual dining industry appears to be stagnating, overshadowed by the rise of fast-casual chains.
- However, Texas Roadhouse is delivering solid growth, outpacing its peers.
- At the same time, it is trading at a discount to the broader restaurant industry.
Aeropostale Falls Further Behind Rival Gap
- Aeropostale is the latest teen fashion retailer to come out with poor quarterly results.
- Having lost money for seven consecutive quarters now, things don't seem to be improving.
- The Gap, on the other hand, seems to have figured out how to stay afloat in the troubled fashion industry.
Housing Market Strength Boosts Home Improvement Chain Results
- July's housing market figures were better than expected.
- Generally, home improvement stores tend to benefit from a strong housing market.
- The most recent figures from Home Depot and Lowe's corroborate the view of a strengthening US housing market.
American Apparel Isn't Out Of The Woods Yet
- American Apparel has been undergoing a management shakeup, following the ousting of its CEO.
- It has been struggling to turn a profit in recent years, and again reported a quarterly loss.
- There are some signs of improvement, but it is far too early to speak of a turnaround.
Is A Slowdown In The Cards For Macau's Casinos?
- Macau's growth in the first half of the year remained more or less intact.
- However, growth is slowing in neighboring Hong Kong, a major source of traffic.
- As a result, Macau revenue and profit may take a significant hit in the second half of the year.
Nordstrom Reports Mixed Results, But Seems Ready For The Future
- Markets punish Nordstrom for weak comp store sales.
- Still, the company delivered an earnings beat, and the outlook is solid.
- Investments in e-commerce capabilities are expected to pay off going forward.
Vipshop Smashes Expectations Yet Again, But Stock Gets Punished
- Vipshop is known for its solid earnings and revenue growth, and has a history of beating expectations.
- Its latest report once again showed impressive growth.
- A selloff following the report may provide investors with an entry-point.
- Income And Possible Upside With Microsoft
- Cisco As An Inexpensive Value Play
- Consider Samsung After The Verdict
- Why Is Everybody Investing In This Chipmaker?
- On Modern Portfolio Theory And Asset Allocation
- Markets Hopeful Over The Summer, But Getting Overbought
- The Rally In Treasuries Hasn't Ended Yet
- Volkswagen Is Undervalued And Gearing Up For Record Sales
- The Consequences Of Prospect Capital's Secondary Offering
- Looking For Stability In Troubled Europe: The Case For Unilever