Daniel Shvartsman

View Daniel Shvartsman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Velti's And Millennial Media's Second Quarters: Good News For Facebook, Pandora [View article]
    Thanks for the comments GTP and mayman! I agree that Velti is the top play for now, but also that it will be interesting to see how the big platforms (P and FB) do. We'll see what happens, it's a new space so lots of questions.
    Aug 17 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Stone, thanks for the comment!

Helps isn't the right word. My argument is that both MM and VELT's results show that mobile advertising, when done right, is growing fast and becoming more and more profitable. Research (like the Meeker report) shows other examples of mobile becoming profitable, that mobile usage is booming, and that mobile is not yet as profitable as desktop internet. As advertising dollars go towards mobile - which the research and Velti/MM results both suggest will happen - Pandora and Facebook, as major mobile "destinations" or channels, will become increasingly attractive venues for advertisement if those two companies can find a way to make themselves attractive. Facebook's work on sponsored story news feed is an example of their strategy, Pandora's building out of their local sales teams exemplifies their approach. The fact that Google has had some success with mobile and views this as equivalent to early days of the desktop internet boom also makes clear the opportunity at hand.

Basically, what I'm trying to add to the discussion is that for people following Pandora and Facebook, mobile = bad news. The things I cited above suggest mobile can be a positive, and a big one, considering the head start Pandora and Facebook have in access to users. Whether those two companies can take advantage or not remains to be seen, which is why they're risky and in part why FB has sank like a stone since coming public.

Anyway, hope that makes sense and that the same thesis comes across in the article. I enjoyed your article on Velti today too; looks like we agree that it's the best way to play the space. We'll see how the others do.

Daniel
    Aug 16 01:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Parker Hannifin: Growing Amid A Fluid Situation [View article]
    Hi Plum,
    That's a good question, and I'm not super sure. I think it's mostly due to the early summer distrust of industrials and Europe, both of which are part of PH's profile. The solid earnings beat and better overall sentiment have driven the stock up 15% since I wrote this, so it looks like I was wrong about this "not being the time to buy". I wouldn't call it criminally cheap any more, but there's a little room still left for the stock to rise.
    Aug 11 05:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Plunging Into Cliffs Natural Resources' Share Price Dive [View article]
    I have a diversified portfolio with about half of a position in MT, and I'm thinking of adding CLF as the other half of that position, so to speak, instead of filling out MT. Together, they wouldn't take up more than 15% of my portfolio, and both would be high dividend, turnaround plays in my portfolio.

Thanks for all the comments, lots of interesting ideas to pick through!
    Jul 31 07:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After The Falls: Now's The Time To Jump Back Into First Niagara [View article]
    Buy order in for 7.10. I like the loan growth, am not crazy about the net interest margin deterioration, and the tangible book value is around $5.30, but I think the stock is very cheap, this was an ok report, and the dividend looks well-supported during this transitional period. I have not yet read the call transcript, but my strategy is to sell my other bank holding (FFIC) and fill out my position (I'm about 70% of the way there) in FNFG.

What do you (or anyone else) think about earnings?
    Jul 27 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Post-Hype Sleepers: A Look At An Overlooked Stock Class And Tornier [View article]
    Thanks for the comment, Illuminati! I think there's a lot of chaos in these stocks, which creates the chance for gains. Given this week, those are either famous last words about ZNGA or the greatest prediction someone can make.
    Jul 26 06:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Honeywell Vs. Eaton: Picking Among Winners [View article]
    Only if those are the only two stocks you own, I think. In a diversified portfolio where industrials take up 20-30% of the portfolio, there's no reason you can't split that allotment between the two of these. That's what I'm doing, anyway.
    Jul 26 01:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beyond The Earnings Headlines, PNC Still A Top Regional Bank Play [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Caymagnate (and TAS and Sethmcs)! I've done a bit of business with PNC as well and had no issues. I disagree with Sethmcs because the nature of PNC is different from that of a JP Morgan or Morgan Stanley or other huge banks; PNC is still a traditional, regional bank that works with individuals and small businesses and so on, just with more leverage and regional scope. I included Wells Fargo because I think they're the big bank that most compares to PNC, and Wells Fargo has done relatively well. But we'll see how it goes.

Also, a note: I wrote this on Sunday night; obviously, PNC crashed through its 200-day MA yesterday. We'll see what that means for the stock short-term, but I'm adding to my position at 55 or 56 if it gets there.
    Jul 24 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Slow Crawl: Caterpillar Is Undervalued, But Not An Obvious Buy (Yet) [View article]
    Hey Bronko,

I like diversification for sure, but I would do it gradually as Caterpillar's stock rises eventually. Now is not a good time to sell off. You could also buy other stocks with any new money to lessen the CAT concentration.
    Anybody else have any thoughts?
    Jul 18 09:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Behind The Music (And TV, Video And Games): Rovi's Comeback Story [View article]
    Yeah, ugly news. The P/E ratios are still low, but Rovi has no credibility or positive momentum right now.
    Jul 18 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utility Laggards: Time To Consider American Electric Power, Exelon, PPL [View article]
    For sure, management is a key factor. Exelon's CEO is new, so we'll see how he manages through a tougher period.

I am actually long NFG, but in a portfolio that I inherited the management of from my partner, so I can't claim much credit or blame for it. I think its fortunes are obviously tied to natural gas prices.

Big Thunder, I understand the move. If you feel you have better options than a high yielder that you can only really trade the position on for a few years, you should go for it. In a diversified portfolio, it has its place.

Yes ETEP, you're right, thanks for the correction.

Thanks for all the comments!
    Jul 17 11:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bluehorseshoe, thanks for the comment! I think Congress is likely to stave off the fiscal cliff, the euro's weaknening currency will help the bloc a bit, and that the election will provide clarity going forward, so I think, if not a fall rally, we could get a winter rally like this year. Of course, all that could go wrong, and I know there are plenty of dour forecasts out there.
    I agree, Ray, that the analysts are over pessimistic, but this is a tough environment. Caterpillar, as a powerhouse, should be back into gear by the end of the 3rd quarter I think. We'll see how it goes.
    Jul 17 11:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey all,

Thanks for the comments! On Exelon's unchanging dividend vs. PPL, it's a fair point, but I wonder if PPL can keep growing over these next two years. I like both stocks, I had to liquidate my PPL position in one portfolio earlier this year but it's a good stock, and I've written about my support of Exelon elsewhere. Duke is also interesting and definitely still at a discount with the whole CEO scandal. Baseballbill, utilities are for sure not as boring as the business would suggest. I imagine they will continue to provide intrigue, for better or worse. It's one of the shared characteristics among big business of any sort.
    Jul 16 08:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Duke Energy High Jinks: Red Flag, Buying Opportunity Or Both? [View article]
    Highyieldsoldier, I think the $44M is the potential value involving stock and other deals. As this article - http://on.wsj.com/NlSXaZ - says, "Most of (the $44M) stemmed from stock grants he received while CEO of Progress."

Of course, the numbers remain outrageous, but that's how it goes. I think I'm in the same boat as you about the stock - it stinks, but if the price drops, it's hard to ignore the company. Duke is up today so far.

MTMatt, I only used that quote because I thought it appropriate and because it's what came to mind when I thought about writing this article. The next step is to jam wholly inappropriate music quotes into my writing. We'll see how on top of it the editing staff is here.

(That's a joke, SA editing folks. You're very on top of it, and I'm glad for it).
    Jul 10 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eaton Is Positioned Well For Years To Come [View article]
    Hey Jamie, nice article on Eaton's acquisitions. I noticed today that Eaton closed on a smallish deal for a hydraulics company in South Korea. It looks like the company is developing quite the power play unit.
    Jul 10 03:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment