Dannzo Evanns

View Dannzo Evanns' Comments BY TICKER:
  • In Search Of Dividends? Look Outside The U.S. [View article]
    I don't use E-Trade any more, but I remember a while ago they offered trading in London and in Hong Kong (with a HEFTY foreign market trading fee attached of course). I would just stick with ADRs. BTI is sort of like the British version of Philip Morris.
    Mar 12 08:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Overweight Your Portfolio With Apple [View article]
    It's not the "house's" money, it's your money! Well done!
    Mar 12 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Did Starbucks Roast Green Mountain? [View article]
    As I was reading this article, I could only think to myself that the SBUX machine had better have a lot of bells and whistles to take market share away from Keurigs. If this isn't the case, then SBUX will have to pull some marketing tricks (such as free offers, coupons, a certain percentage off at its stores if you buy the machine, etc.). Can SBUX do it? I would say, don't under-estimate SBUX!
    Mar 9 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Markets Point To Economic Recovery In 2012 [View article]
    I love this up-beat article, but is WPZ's falling P/E ratio a function of an improving economy or something else (perhaps because it's an MLP or in natural gas)?
    Mar 8 07:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy-And-Hold Investing Can't Die [View article]
    Excellent article. The stock market isn't really a zero sum game because value is being created over long time periods. Thus, for long-term investors, the stock market is actually a positive-sum game (given, of course, that they choose securities that increase in value).
    Mar 7 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Bet On U.S. Presidential Election Year Seasonal Stock Market Patterns [View article]
    Ah, I think the additional years in the WSJ graph might be skewing the extremes towards the mean. Perhaps it would be more correct to use the same period in your graph (starting in 1900).
    Mar 6 01:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Are we comparing apples to apples? Why does the 1st graph have a range of -2% to 6% and the second graph goes from -40% to 25%?

Also, it would be interesting to see a graph of years when the incumbent is running, as the second term is associated with a stronger economy than the 1st.
    Mar 6 12:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating The S&P 500 With An Apple-Tilted ETF Portfolio [View article]
    That is why I said the portfolio won't outperform the S&P 500 in the long term (but it might). Nothing is absolutely certain.
    Mar 6 06:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating The S&P 500 With An Apple-Tilted ETF Portfolio [View article]
    This would also depend on how much money an investor has to achieve diversification. In order to buy every stock in QQQ in equal proportions, the investor would have to be a millionaire. The common investor can achieve the same diversification by just buying QQQ.
    Mar 6 06:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating The S&P 500 With An Apple-Tilted ETF Portfolio [View article]
    An investor might not want to take on the risk of buying an individual security, so it makes more sense to own it through an ETF or a mutual fund. There could also be certain circumstances that prohibits an investor from directly buying shares of a company, but that doesn't prevent owning shares through an ETF or mutual fund.
    Mar 5 06:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating The S&P 500 With An Apple-Tilted ETF Portfolio [View article]
    Every year except 1 is still not bad...
    Mar 5 06:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating The S&P 500 With An Apple-Tilted ETF Portfolio [View article]
    Actually, now that I think about it, not all ETFs that I tried had a history going as far back as April 10th, 2007. Only the "finalized" ETFs went that far back (but still an excellent idea to try).
    Mar 5 12:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating The S&P 500 With An Apple-Tilted ETF Portfolio [View article]
    That is an excellent idea, there are actually many things that I could have done differently or included in the article, but decided not to for the sake of brevity. Maybe I can follow up on things with another article.
    Mar 5 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sotheby's: Bid With Caution [View article]
    You didn't say what was behind the recent tumble. BID had declining auction revenues and commissions. I think this is more of a short term thing due to economies in European countries, long term the company is in good shape. Your table shows that net margins are increasing. This is a good buying opportunity.
    Mar 3 03:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment