Darren Hart

View Darren Hart's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Disappointed In Part Due To Supply Constraints [View article]
    I see the calculus as supply constraint and then loss of demand. When a product launches, as you say consumers have euphoria - so long as the product meets or exceeds expectations.

If Apple met this demand at product launch and throughout the cycle, then it may have sold more units and maintained momentum.

If people wait and the optimal time for buying passes, well, then you lose sales typically. I suggested a marketing response in the July 30, 2012 article, which is advertise slow is good, waiting for your new iPhone 5 is worth it. Apple did not adopt such a strategy. Apple certainly has the revenue to engage in advertising or public relations to put forth this strategy.

Apple lost sales because it failed to have sufficient inventory for the iPhone 5 to take advantage fully of the launch euphoria for the iPhone 5. Apple suffered thereafter.

P.S. Please don't forget the maps debacle. Lastly, Apple may have lost market differentiation in part to its competitors.
    Jan 24 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Disappointed In Part Due To Supply Constraints [View article]
    I agree. If Apple were able to sell as many or even as close to as many units as demand, then perhaps Apple would have posted a "beat" this quarter. A beat this quarter would break Apple's streak of disappointing earnings.

More pointedly, if you have more Apple products on the market, are you not then extending your market, and at the very least, having a chance to turn these new customers into loyal customers?
    Jan 24 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    The Dow Jones Newswire just reported that Apple iPhone sales for Q1 were at the low end of views.

This article called it on July 30, 2012.

For additional views on AAPL, please see my Instablog Post, Bad Apple - Likely Less Than Appealing Earnings
    Jan 23 04:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    AAPL fell as much as 5% after hours on revenue miss and downward guidance for Q2. Please see my Instablog.
    Jan 23 04:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    Good dialectic exchange. Wednesday is coming.
    Jan 21 04:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    Thank you for the citation and response.

Even if you improve the screen does that not speak to lack of planning on Apple's part? If the iPhone 5 is selling so well then why change it?

I anticipate that iPhone 5 sales are not what was expected, hence the quickening product life cycle.

More importantly, I really think that sales were not as anticipated for the launch, missing what I believe was a crucial time to make the sale.

You are correct. We shall see on Wednesday.

For clarity, I hold no position in AAPL and don't plan at this time on initiating a position in AAPL prior to earnings.
    Jan 21 11:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    Please see the Instablog that I wrote, Bad Apple -- Likely Less Than Appealing Earnings, http://seekingalpha.co...; wherein I referred readers to this article - . http://bloom.bg/13UxQID

Nevertheless, even if Apple puts out another product it does not mean that Apple is not selling as many iPhone 5 units as planned otherwise why reduce the order for screens?

Why produce another product for launch so soon? Why not let the production already in place proceed to meet the alleged demand for iPhone 5 until it has run its course?

Apple apologists or Applepologists abound. I am not making up these reports, as you can readily see, I cite to sources. Perhaps you could do the same?
    Jan 20 09:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    As of January 20, 2013, Apple has gone on to report that demand is weakening for its iPhone 5. Please see my Instablog post regarding these issues. http://seekingalpha.co...
    Jan 20 06:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    You are correct. I meant the iPhone 5, poor editing on my part. Apple fell off the shelf on Friday. I suspect more of the same next week.
    Oct 20 03:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    The theme is continuing to play out regarding availability of the iPhone 5. I was in a Sprint store just recently upgrading to a Samsung Galaxy III. I overheard that Apple iPhone 6 was on backorder.

Anyone hear anything else?
    Oct 5 11:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    Reuters.com reported today that Apple is constrained in its inventory for iPhone 5 where many units will not be supplied until October. Apple did not have a robust launch of the Apple iPhone 5.

Apple is suffering as a result.

This article reported it accurately on July 30, 2012.

"Anyone, Anyone...." Ben Stiller in "Ferris Beuller's Day Off"
    Sep 24 08:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    Today, the Apple iPhone 5 was available for sale throughout the world. Sprint Nextel reports that it is out of inventory in its East Coast stores.
    Sep 21 01:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dear Mr. McDonald:

Please give me credit. I successfully called that Apple underestimated its need for 28 nm chips as of July 30, 2012 and was having difficulties finding suppliers for the 28 nm chip. I called that Apple and Samsung would have difficulties and that Samsung would not really be a good source for the 28 nm chips.

I further called that Apple may make a September or October 2012 announcement date for the Apple iPhone 5 but would quickly run out of inventory due to lack of supply of 28 nm chips. I further called that Apple would roll out the Apple iPhone 5 but consumers would have to wait.

Apple announced the Apple iPhone 5 launch. As I called, consumers are waiting due to lack of inventory.

I read many comments on here about Apple's mastery of logistics.

To be direct and plain, I appear to have had it correct. Apple ran out of inventory and is trying to cover its needs based on a lack of 28 nm chips. If sales of the Apple iPhone 5 are postponed until October 2012, then those sales will count in Q4 and not Q3.

You may have not seen the news but Apple started to retract once the Dow Jones Newswire was circulating.

All I know is what I read in the Sunday papers - Will Rogers. From what I read, I called it correctly.
    Sep 17 01:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    According to Dow Jones Newswires, Apple sold out of its inventory at its stores for the iPhone 5 in an hour, AT&T is stating that customers will have to wait 14-21 business days to receiver their orders, and Verizon Wireless is stating delivery will be Sept. 28. Where are the chips? Signs do not be pointing to a robust launch as stated in this article.
    Sep 14 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Enough Chips For A Robust iPhone 5 Launch? [View article]
    Apple launched the iPhone 5 today, as everyone said it would. So let's take a look in the next week about unit sales and supply of chips.
    Sep 12 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment