Dathan Pyle

View Dathan Pyle's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Keurig Green Mountain Shareholders Under Pressure [View article]
    You mention that the Keurig Kold K-cups will be more expensive than buying one at the store. What is the price of the Coca Cola K cup?
    Mar 26, 2015. 02:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Profit From Prisons? [View article]
    I'm not a fan of privatizing prisons or investing in the prison system in general. For one, privatizing prisons creates a blatant conflict of interest and a whole lot of liability. Take Florida for instance... Governor Rick Scott openly accepts money from Geo and then coincidentally decides to use them to replace government positions. I'm fully aware that lobbying is something that just happens but putting a for-profit company in a high risk position is a bad idea. Even in the event that the process was legit it's important to understand that Geo is all about maximizing profit by cutting costs. This includes hiring employees at a lower pay level than what would be payed to a government worker. This ends up becoming a Wal-Mart effect in the sense that lower pay turns into a declined caliber of employees. A lower caliber of employee turns into bad customer service which ultimately turns into lawsuits when you're dealing with inmates. It will turn around to bite all parties involved in the end. It's also concerning that shareholders are counting on recidivism and an increase of population in order for the company to grow. The overall objective is to turn inmates into productive citizens. I'm not naive enough to believe that this actually happens but I don't want to invest in something that counts on people consistently doing the wrong thing. In fact, this could very well turn the other way if marijuana is decriminalized and/or legalized.
    Mar 6, 2015. 09:50 AM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google's Search Business May Not Survive The Next 10 Or 20 Years [View article]
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Google making an aggressive move to acquire Twitter this year. If incorporated properly... Google search with the addition of Twitter's street level and real time hashtag results could be the introduction of a new generation of internet search. Of course this is mere speculation at this point and perhaps it's just wishful thinking but I highly doubt Google is sleeping at the wheel. They know they need to do something to increase their revenue.
    Dec 19, 2014. 08:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Eat Your Apple Pie [View article]
    He's right in the sense that the iPhone 6 is a replacement device and we may not see big numbers like this for a little while. Where he may or may not be wrong is where the stock goes in the next few months. There's no doubt that Q4 earnings are going to be phenomenal. Will Apple stock surge from these results or are they already factored in?
    Dec 16, 2014. 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: J.C. Penney's Earnings - Enthusiasm May Wane Quickly As Problems Persist [View article]
    Articles like this are expected following a massive spike yesterday and today's bear raid is simply part of the game. However, it would be wise to for shorts to cover soon. Macy's and even Wal-Mart had bad earnings while JC Penney beat expectations. This was a horrible quarter for retail and JC Penney managed to withstand it. Looking forward, JC Penney is thriving in their back-to-school sales and I believe next quarter will be positive as well.

JC Penney has been around for over 100 years and have always been known for their discounted merchandise. They made a bad decision in hiring a CEO that wanted them to have expensive products with no discounts. In the event that this was still the case I would completely agree with you. However, this has changed and their earnings are reflecting a turnaround.
    Aug 15, 2014. 10:33 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead: Does It Pass The Trial As A Long-Term Investment? [View article]
    Stephanie,
    This is a very impressive article. I appreciate your great detail in research and enjoy reading your response to the negativity. Keep up the good work! You got a new "Follow" here.
    Aug 2, 2014. 07:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Himax Really Be Trading At $131 A Share? [View article]
    After receiving plenty of messages regarding this article I believe it is worth reiterating that $131 is NOT my price target on Himax. My target remains between $8.50 and $9.

This article was originally an insta-blog post and for whatever reason it was selected for publication. Many of my insta-blog posts are written on a whim and consist of my thoughts at that particular moment.

The concept behind this particular post/article was to express my belief that Himax is trading substantially lower than what I currently view as a fair value. In my opinion Chardan Capital issued an insanely low price target. I believe Chardan is attempting to manipulate off the weaknesses of an already beaten down stock. If we are going to play games like that then why not throw out an insane number in the other direction? Is Himax worth $131? Absolutely not! However, I would say the same for $5.85 so I guess its fair to say anything is possible with Himax.
    Jul 24, 2014. 08:07 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Philip Morris' Profit Decline Signals Good News For Electronic Cigarette Market [View article]
    Buyandhold,
    If you read that particular article (which I know you have) you would understand that I did not value HIMX at $131. That number was used as a price to compare an insanely overpriced valuation vs. the price it currently sits at today which I also believe is insanely undervalued. If I am not mistaken your comment on that article stated that you believed $131 "wasn't too ridiculous" and even suggested a value of $719.

In this particular article, I mistakenly mixed statistics from Philip Morris and Altria. I have since edited the article. I apologize to all of the initial readers and greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions to fix it.
    Jul 20, 2014. 11:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Victory Electronic Cigarettes Files For Nasdaq IPO: Potential For Massive Growth [View article]
    I completely agree with you in regards to the preference between the tank style being more successful than the conventional cigarette looking vaporizers. I hope that corporations will take notice. The majority of vaporizers that are sold in "Vape Stores" are the Ego style batteries with tanks. Their batteries last longer and the tank holds enough liquid to last a full day.
    Jul 18, 2014. 02:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Himax Really Be Trading At $131 A Share? [View article]
    This was originally an Insta-blog post and I did not intend for it to be published. However, Seeking Alpha requested to publish it.
    Jul 9, 2014. 11:08 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Himax Really Be Trading At $131 A Share? [View instapost]
    That is based on information Himax has provided. Please note that although they have many products I am a little more interested in their development of LCOS and the Head Mounted Displays market as I believe that this will be very successful in the future. They have not only confirmed their involvement with Google but have also added that they are working with Samsung as well. All of their products (including 4K technology) can be found on their website. http://bit.ly/1imTDiD
    Jul 9, 2014. 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Is The Time To Buy Oncosec Medical [View instapost]
    That is an excellent question MichaelJ8. Upon speaking with OncoSec regarding this matter it appears that they are currently aiming to work with a partner on advancing and expanding the NeoPulse platform. They continue to be very opportunistic in this regard.
    Jun 20, 2014. 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Round 2 Ahead For Himax Technologies [View article]
    That is a very good question hancharou. Although I anticipated a bit of a pullback after reaching $8 today I have to admit that I was surprised by the way things unfolded. There are many things that happened simultaneously today that allowed the perfect opportunity for the stock to enter a free fall like it did.

First, as I just mentioned I anticipated a slight pullback due to the large amount of people who purchased shares under $7 earlier this month and were closing a swing position at a $8 sell target.

Second, Lake Street Capital initiated coverage on Himax today with a Hold rating and a $7.50 price target.

Third, rumors began to spread that Himax will no longer be making LCOS display's for Google Glass.

Those three things combined created quite a bit of panic selling because nobody could explain why it was falling. At the same time stop losses were being activated which only worsened the situation.

The two main things to be concerned about are the low price target from Lake Street Capital and the rumor about a Glass/Himax separation. My argument with those two concerns is that although Lake Streets and Chardan Capital have low price targets, the consensus price target from all analysts still remains significantly higher at $11.55.

The source of the "Rumor" openly stated via disclaimer that the information has not been formally tested through traditional journalistic channels and therefore is to be treated as unsubstantiated.

After reviewing all of things that happened today I still feel confident about what was written in my article and have not changed my opinion on where Himax is going from here.
    May 27, 2014. 08:48 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Look At Everything That's Wrong With Google Glass [View article]
    Although this is a nicely written article I disagree with almost every key topic you addressed. Going down the list... you state that the Glass Hype train has been derailed. There have been 43,000,000 mentions of Google Glass online this past week, 35,300 in the past 24 hours. Second, you state that Google Glass is a year 2300 product. At the rate of speed technology is evolving I can only hope you are being sarcastic to assume Glass is too futuristic. Third, your Apple/Beats By Dre reference sums up your entire intention of this article.
    May 16, 2014. 06:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Seeking Alpha Is Doing To Prevent Paid Stock Promotion [View article]
    I am happy to see that SA is beginning to monitor the truthfulness and intentions of its writers but I hope they don't go overboard and remove ideas that are legitimate in the process. The beauty of this site is that it allows the opportunity for authors to voice their "Pitch" on stocks that other sites wouldn't even mention. Many of them have been correct. Either way it is always best to do your own dd when picking something to invest in.
    Mar 29, 2014. 08:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment