View as an RSS Feed
View Dave Dierking, CFA's Articles BY TICKER:
Earn A 9% Yield With This Covered Call ETF
- The Recon Capital NASDAQ 100 Covered Call ETF is the only ETF that utilizes a buy-write strategy based on the NASDAQ 100.
- Since its inception this ETF has performed largely as would be expected - underperforming in a bull market while outperforming in a volatile or bear market.
- While the asset base is still thin, assets have increased four-fold recently, indicating an increasing interest in options-based ETF investing strategies.
3 Stocks That Have Experienced Big Dividend Cuts And Should Be Avoided
- These three companies cut dividends in order to save cash; and why I think they're unlikely to rebound any time soon.
- All three are implementing cost cutting measures to save money, but declining revenues in challenging economic conditions limit any short-term upside.
- Management has already cut the dividend in each case, but some are at risk for additional dividend cuts in the future.
Devon Energy Shares Are Particularly Attractive Following Recent Correction
- Devon Energy shares have enjoyed a robust year so far but a recent pullback from $80 to $74 presents a buying opportunity for astute investors.
- Forecasted 2015 revenue and earnings growth from increased North American oil production as well as a divestiture of non-core assets should provide catalysts for a higher share price.
- With a forward P/E of just 11 and a PEG ratio of 0.72, expansion of valuation multiples could provide additional fuel for a rise in the share price.
Bank Of America: Short-Term Obstacles Outweigh Long-Term Value
- The stock appears to be fundamentally undervalued but is going to have a difficult time moving up until it can determine the full impact of ongoing litigation and non-performing loans.
- The $1.27B settlement related to Countrywide's "Hustle" program is a step in the right direction but there will likely be more fines on the way.
- Legal issues have spilled over to the company's bottom line further limiting any short term upside in the stock.
- Short term investors may want to consider a big bank alternative like Citigroup in the meantime.
iShares MSCI United Kingdom ETF: A Value Play With A 3% Dividend
- Despite struggles with the recovery in the Eurozone, the United Kingdom is on a more stable footing and represents solid value as an investment.
- The iShares MSCI United Kingdom ETF is one of the largest region specific ETFs out there and represents the best choice for investment into the United Kingdom.
- The region appears undervalued according to several valuation metrics including P/E, P/B and P/S. GDP quarterly growth has been solid while inflation has remained at bay.
- Global diversification from several megacaps and a 3% dividend yield help cushion downside risk.
Casablanca Takes Control Of The Board: What's Next For Cliffs Natural Resources
- Casablanca Capital has succeeded in getting all six of its nominees elected to the Cliffs Natural Resources Board of Directors and now controls the majority of the Board's seats.
- Casablanca Board nominee Lourenco Goncalves is almost certain to replace Gary Halverson as Cliffs CEO.
- Casablanca will attempt to implement a multi-step plan that could include selling off international assets, closing the Bloom Lake facility and turning the company's North American assets into an MLP.
Cliffs Natural Reports Q2 Earnings While Preparing For The Big Proxy Showdown With Casablanca Capital
- Cliffs Natural reported 2nd quarter earnings Wednesday night and continued its recent theme of declining revenue due to iron ore price concerns and necessary capex cuts just to stay afloat.
- Cliffs management is focusing on its July 29th proxy vote where it battles with Casablanca Capital over control of the Board of Directors and the future direction of Cliffs.
- Cliffs management wants to continue its cost cutting strategy while Casablanca wants to divest itself of low performing assets in order to return capital to shareholders.
3 High-Yielding MLP ETFs That Carry Below-Average Risk
- MLP ETFs are growing in popularity, but their structure and interest rate-sensitivity make a lot of them especially risky.
- Examining the types of partnership, the benchmark index and the portfolio composition helps identify lower-risk investments that can still earn a yield of 5% or more.
- These three MLP ETFs focus largely on more conservative limited partnerships and/or midstream pipeline companies with a strong and steady dividend history.
3 Reasons The Rally In Devon Energy May Continue
- Devon Energy has raced into the upper $70s recently but could be headed to at least $85 in the coming months.
- Devon's focus on increased oil production thanks to its recent Eagle Ford purchase should help drive revenue and earnings growth going forward.
- Devon could find itself tripling its oil production in the Eagle Ford by 2017.
Buy Brazil With The World Cup And Olympics Looming
- With the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics coming, Brazil is poised to receive a boost to the country's economy and infrastructure.
- Brazil's slow growth trajectory could accelerate if incumbent President Dilma Rousseff is defeated in the upcoming October election.
- After dropping during the first quarter, Brazil ETFs have rallied since then and some are up almost 30% from 2014 lows.
PowerShares KBW High Dividend Yield Financial Portfolio ETF: Why Now Is The Time To Buy
- KBWD has underperformed most of the major indices recently, but now could be in a position to outperform.
- KBWD currently compares favorably to several benchmark indices according to the price/earnings, price/book and price/cash flow valuation metrics.
- With its heavy mortgage REIT concentration, KBWD should be able to benefit from the current low rate environment.
Is Cliffs Dying A Slow Death?
- Cliffs made an expected announcement of a $100M 2014 capex cut in an effort to navigate a low iron ore price environment and remain cash flow positive.
- Cliffs may be at risk of breaching its debt covenants if iron price weakness continues.
- Casablanca Capital is continuing to put pressure on Cliffs to break up the company in order to extract additional shareholder value.
- At this point, Cliffs' stock has become almost a pure play on iron ore prices.
The Battle For ETF Supremacy: Vanguard Ready To Take On BlackRock
- Vanguard is currently the third-largest ETF provider ($360 billion in assets under management) behind BlackRock ($683 billion) and State Street ($386 billion).
- Vanguard has dominated ETF cash flows thus far in 2014, attracting over $18 billion and almost 90% of all new ETF dollars.
- ETFs that were created for people who wanted to trade more frequently are now attracting long-term passive investors who want to take advantage of their low cost and flexibility.
Earn A 9% Yield With This MLP ETF
- ETFs focused on investing in master limited partnerships are increasing in number and many offer yields of 5% or more.
- As the only MLP ETF indexed to Solactive's High Income MLP Index, Yorkville High Income MLP ETF is currently the highest yielding MLP ETF with a yield of around 9%.
- This ETF is structured as a C corporation which carries with it some unique tax and accounting rules that investors need to be familiar with.
3 High Dividend Technology ETFs That Deserve Your Attention
- The technology sector is experiencing one of the highest dividend appreciation rates in the market currently.
- Some tech ETFs are now offering yields that are higher than the S&P 500.
- This article profiles one technology index ETF, one sector-specific ETF and one international technology ETF.
3 ETFs To Replace PIMCO Total Return In Your Portfolio
- PIMCO Total Return managed by bond king Bill Gross has seen almost $50 billion leave his fund as a result of recent poor performance.
- Complicating matters, Mohamed El-Erian, Gross's co-chief investment officer, resigned unexpectedly recently fueling speculation that he and Gross were at odds.
- Investors looking for a change can find ETFs with similar risks and compositions that have performed better and maintain lower expense ratios.
- ETFs from Barclays, Vanguard and iShares are profiled as alternatives to PIMCO Total Return.
Cliffs Natural Resources: Deconstructing The Q1 Earnings Report
- Cliffs first quarter earnings delivered results that were far below analyst estimates on both earnings and revenues.
- Revenues from both coal and iron ore were down significantly in the United States, Canada and the Asia Pacific regions.
- Cliffs reiterated 2014 guidance, but actual results will largely be determined by the state of iron ore prices.
- Cliffs continues with its capital expenditure reduction program that it has been executing for the last few quarters.
- Planned infrastructure spending in China and Canada along with the company's supply deal with ArcelorMittal could improve future results.
After The Split, Is Apple Ready To Become A Dow Stock?
- Apple may have removed the biggest hindrance to joining the Dow Jones Industrial Average - its stock price - by announcing the 7-for-1 stock split.
- CEO Tim Cook said that the split was done “to make Apple stock more accessible to a larger number of investors.”.
- After the split, Apple would maintain a middle of the pack weighting in an updated Dow Jones index.
- Cisco, Microsoft and Intel could be prime candidates for removal from the index.
3 Dividend ETFs That Belong In Every Portfolio
- Dividend paying stocks have outperformed the broad market year-to-date as the market's preference shifts from growth to value.
- Many dividend ETFs currently yield 3% or more compared to the S&P 500's current yield of 1.86%.
- Many dividend ETFs are becoming more broadly diversified as dividend growth rates are being led by gains in financials and technology.
Cliffs Natural Resources: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- The company's focus on managing expenses and delaying less cost-effective projects could help it ride out the current economic turmoil.
- Removal from the S&P 500 and delisting from Euronext Paris could help put pressure on the stock price through the end of April as index funds and shareholders unwind positions.
- Slowing economic growth in China, coupled with depressed iron ore prices will continue to be the dominant factors in Cliffs' near-term business performance.
- The current management battle with Casablanca Capital will continue to distract Cliffs as it tries to take over the board of directors and implement its own practices.
Devon Energy's Canadian Asset Sale Another Savvy Management Move
- Devon's decision to sell Canadian natural gas assets to pay for the Eagle Ford acreage from GeoSouthern Energy is a savvy management move.
- The Canadian asset sale continues Devon's transformation from a natural gas focused company to one that expands its oil production business.
- Despite its growth focus, the company remains undervalued relative to peers and could very well be headed to $80.
The WWE Network Revamps The Pay-Per-View Revenue Model And Could Add Millions To The Company's Top Line
- The launch of the WWE Network could expand the company's $80 million annual pay-per-view figure to $300 million or more.
- If revenue growth estimates are correct, it could inspire other pay-per-view producers like the UFC to launch their own networks.
- Cable providers like DirecTV and Dish Network could take a hit to their bottom lines due to the potential loss of a revenue cash cow.
- These 6 Stocks Already Yielding 3% Still Offer A Strong Growth Forecast
- 3 Ways To Play The Shale Oil Boom
- 3 Dividend Growth Plays In Financials For 2014
- Cliffs Natural Resources: 4 Reasons Why One Of 2013's Biggest Losers Could Make A 2014 Rally
- 5 Core Conservative Growth Stocks For A Retiree's Portfolio
- Sears: Land's End Spinoff Feels Like A Desperate Hail Mary
- Devon Energy Positioning Itself For 2014 Breakout
- 3 Stocks With Solid Dividends That You Should Approach With Caution
- Banco Santander: Is The 7% Dividend Sustainable?
- Bank Of America: Fully Valued At $15 Per Share