Dave Dierking

View Dave Dierking's Comments BY TICKER:

• Is Vanguard Wellesley Income The Only Retirement Fund You Need? [View article]
    Wellington has been a little more volatile but has performed better over the long term which probably shouldn't be surprising.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Just a matter of what you'd prefer your stock allocation to be.
    Feb 26, 2015. 06:56 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PDL BioPharma: Beware The 8% Dividend [View article]
    I don't. But they had better start making some of them soon.
    Feb 24, 2015. 02:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • PDL BioPharma: Beware The 8% Dividend [View article]
    I like to use this website for old dividend distribution info.

Feb 23, 2015. 05:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • J.C. Penney Celebrates Its 2014 Annual Financial Report [View article]
    A month ago, I was bullish on JCP's earnings report potential. Today, I'm around 50-50. Not sure what we're going to see right now.
    Feb 23, 2015. 10:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Top Biotechnology Stocks For 2015 [View article]
    Stan,

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it!
    Feb 19, 2015. 01:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This New ETF Looks To Take Advantage Of The Stock Buyback Trend [View article]
    Agree. The expense ratio can differentiate.
    Feb 19, 2015. 01:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    With a new ETF like this I don't think there's much advantage to getting in early. This isn't like a company going public for the first time. The average market cap of the holdings in this fund is $38B so the time for getting in early on megacaps is long gone.
    Feb 18, 2015. 08:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cliffs Natural can't really recover without higher iron ore prices, RBC says [View news story]
    Seems pretty obvious that they need higher iron ore prices.
    Feb 12, 2015. 02:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why Micron Remains A Buy [View article]
    My membership had temporarily lapsed. Should I consider it coincidental that I received an email about this less than a day after your post?
    Feb 12, 2015. 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barring An Increase In Iron Ore Pricing, Cliffs Is Insolvent In The Medium Term [View article]
    I was disappointed in how Goncalves talked in Q3 about how the company had enough liquidity and cash flow to support the dividend. Three months later, they suspended it completely. I'm not sure what to believe now.
    Feb 9, 2015. 12:07 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PDL BioPharma: Beware The 8% Dividend [View article]
    I'm not as secure in the dividend as it sounds like you are. I follow CLF fairly closely. Last quarter, management said they have plenty of cash flow and liquidity to support the dividend. Three months later, they suspended it altogether. I'm a bit of a dividend cynic. PDL mgmt may be correct and the div could end up being fine. My confidence level is only moderate though
    Feb 8, 2015. 02:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PDL BioPharma: Beware The 8% Dividend [View article]
    1. Partially. The stock has traded at a low P/E for a while which would suggest yes. But I look at the earnings and revenue forecasts for 2015 and they're substantially similar to 2014 which I don't think is reasonable. Maybe people are assuming that the revenue stream will be fully replaced? Doesn't seem like a reasonable assumption to me.

2. Good question. It looks like in 2015 that Morningstar is capturing something under capital expenditures that Yahoo isn't (my source for the financials). Not sure what it is. Prior years' numbers look identical on both sources though. Not sure what the deal with the last 12 months is.
    Feb 8, 2015. 02:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PDL BioPharma: Beware The 8% Dividend [View article]
    Those are fair points.

I think there were two overarching points I was trying to make with this article. First, the PDL story over the next year or so has yet to be written. They could do a fantastic job of adding income producing assets or revenue could end up dropping through the floor. It's too early to tell which scenario is more likely.

The second is that if an investor looks at a low P/E and high yield and thinks it's a good investment without doing the proper research they could easily get burned (although I doubt that's a lesson that many Seeking Alpha readers or writers probably need).
    Feb 6, 2015. 02:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PDL BioPharma: Beware The 8% Dividend [View article]
    Thanks! PDL may yet pull off replacing the Queen et al. royalty income but I think they have a lot of work to do.
    Feb 5, 2015. 05:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Reasons Why I'm Hesitant To Buy Qualcomm Right Now [View article]
    I would actually tend to agree. Revenue guidance dropped by around 3% yet the stock price is down 8% AH. I know it's not a direct correlation as there's a lot of other stuff going on (especially the Samsung deal) but it feels like the correction is a little overdone.
    Jan 28, 2015. 10:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment