David Crosetti

View David Crosetti's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Helmerich & Payne Has Been Feeling Some Unjustified Pain [View article]
    When I see an article that is talking about a stock on my own radar, I generally click on the article to see what it's all about.

When the author gives me page after page of financials (that I could easily get from Argus Review or some other source at Schwab) my eyes glaze over and my mind begins to think about sunny days in Aruba on the beach.

However, when I read an article where the author makes a good common sense analysis of why he's thinking about the company, then I read the narrative, think about it, and then maybe go dig a little deeper.

Being a number junkie is good for some people, but not for me. Many of my best stock ideas have come from having a discussion with a store manager; employees of the company; or from using the product or service that the company provides myself.

As for HP, my best friend is a driller supervisor with them in Midland, Texas. He usually calls me on his ride home from the fields (we live in Mississippi) and tells me about what's going on with the company.

They have been cutting back on rigs lately and have laid people off. That's what management does when the business takes a hit--cut labor. It's the first place you go.

In my own opinion, HP is one of the best managed oil drillers out there. They have quality people, have been through the cycle of oil boom and bust, and they know how to manage the company through good times and bad.

Watch the dividend for a possible cut/reduction. It's a possibility. The last couple of increases were based on optimism and were a lot larger than "normal" for HP. If the dividend holds up through summer then this one is well worth adding to your portfolio.

In my opinion.

Without a lot of numbers, charts, and graphs.

Take it for what it is.

Mar 29, 2015. 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mr. Valuation's Best Valued Ideas For Retirement And Dividend Growth Portfolios: Cisco [View article]
    DC:

Wrong Kramer?
    Mar 29, 2015. 11:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    You need to chill out, Paul.

Mar 29, 2015. 11:07 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I guess you probably feel the same way about GE?

Mar 28, 2015. 01:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Aristocrats: Create Your Own Portfolio Or Invest In NOBL? (Part 2) [View article]
    Christine:

It is.

First hand experience.

Mar 27, 2015. 06:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You have to love Chuck's analysis of stocks through Fast Graphs.

I have been using his service for two years now and have no idea what I would have done without this tool.

I know this. Fast Graphs beat the heck out of analysis like:

"No catalyst to buy CSCO at this time. Industry out of favor. Price going lower."

You have to admit, that's priceless analysis.

Mar 27, 2015. 12:01 PM | 23 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Z:

Going fishing has worked well for me since 1984, although I fish a lot more these days.

For me, the style that I like to use involves tuning out the noise. I don't watch financial tv, I don't listen to any "guru" promoting a stock or fund, I don't worry about what the Fed is going to do or what the Fed is not going to do.

What I try to do is purchase companies (my small portion) that are selling at a value to their intrinsic worth. I like it if they pay dividend, but that is not the driving factor in my purchase decisions.

When I buy a company, I tend to buy it for the long haul. I don't have any intention of bailing on the company as long as it continues to meet my overall investment strategy. Kind of like when you get married. You don't normally contemplate getting a divorce on your wedding day, do you?

If the stock I own goes up in price and it represents a value at that new price, I might add additional shares. If the stock goes down in price and that decline prices the stock at a value to its real worth, I might add more as well.

But fishing takes the stress out of every day life. You might want to try it sometimes.

All stock, all the time, and no time for fun seems like a wasted life to me.

Just Sayin
    Mar 27, 2015. 11:39 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will You Do With Philip Morris At $77.50 Per Share? [View article]
    Mike:

Maui Wowie! Panama Red! Columbia Gold! Aztec Revenge!

Pass it over to me.......................

Mar 26, 2015. 07:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: End Of An Era [View article]
    Ok, then.

Mar 26, 2015. 05:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will You Do With Philip Morris At $77.50 Per Share? [View article]
    As a 1960'd hippy, we used to say that the tobacco companies had copy rights on all the good dope names....................

Fifty years later, dopers still believe the myth.

Unbelievable.

Mar 26, 2015. 04:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Krafting' Success For My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    What about T and VZ? Everyone "knows" that cell phones cause brain cancer.

Wow. Unbelievable.

Mar 26, 2015. 10:16 AM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Contenders The Real Champions? [View article]
    Dog:

I think cranky might be the appropriate description.

Mar 24, 2015. 04:23 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil Will Bottom In 3 Weeks: A Comprehensive Analysis Of Domestic Oil Production [View article]
    I am sure glad that oil prices are going to bottom in 3 weeks.

I wasn't sure if it would ever end or not.

But, I'm glad I stumbled upon this article and now I rest more comfortably, knowing that my oil stock holdings will be going up in price.

Mar 23, 2015. 02:37 PM | 41 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Contenders The Real Champions? [View article]
    Dog:

You could just "forget about it" and let the dividend checks come directly to your brokerage checking account like I do. My taxable portfolio threw off a little more than $17k last year (just had the taxes done) and that's cash flow in addition to the job that I used to have until this October 31st when I said: "This is over."

The tax deferred accounts get reinvested and will until I have to take RMD's, but hey, we have another 5 years for that to happen. I might be dead by then, who the heck knows?

Mar 23, 2015. 02:29 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bear Claws My Dividend Growth Portfolio - Will I Cut And Run? [View article]
    2.5:

Thanks for the link.

Now, I know why I've never enjoyed going back to college.

I think I need a brain transplant after reading some of those quotes.

Brings back memories of the University of Colorado and those lectures.................

Mar 23, 2015. 02:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment