David Crosetti

View David Crosetti's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 'Ye Of Little Faith' What Has It Cost You? Part 1 [View article]
    You are familiar with "Google" aren't you?
    Jul 1, 2015. 08:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Ye Of Little Faith' What Has It Cost You? Part 1 [View article]
    C:

I think you are mistaking legitimate discussion with "aggressiveness." Legitimate discussion seems to be a lost art, in this country, since everyone has this newly discovered gene called the "I am offended gene."

I don't care how you invest your money and would not have used BAC as an illustration of support for DGI, if I did.

The point here is that the article does not say that the only successful investors are "optimistic" investors. Instead, it is arguing that if you look at fundamentals to arrive at a valuation of a particular stock, and you find that the stock is a compelling story, then there are two things that you can do.

First, you can go ahead and buy some stock (the optimist). Second, you can decide to wait (the pessimist).

I don't believe there's a lot more to this article than that.

My point as trying to illustrate the differences between the optimist and the pessimist and not to support any particular investment strategy.

Just because I write about DGI does not mean that it is the only form of investing that I practice.

I'm more of a value investor and will buy stocks that pay a dividend or do not pay a dividend, depending on if I see value in owning shares.
    Jul 1, 2015. 03:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Ye Of Little Faith' What Has It Cost You? Part 1 [View article]
    Sure seems to be.

Dave
    Jul 1, 2015. 03:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Ye Of Little Faith' What Has It Cost You? Part 1 [View article]
    Didn't really read the article, now, did you?

How many people actually stepped up and bought BAC when it was selling at prices under $7 share, in 2011?

The pessimist was saying, "Bank stocks will never be part of my portfolio."

The optimist was saying, "Are you freaking kidding me? Liquidated, BAC is worth more than $7 a share! I think I'll buy 1000 shares."

More investors seem to find a reason not to invest in a particular company. Some say, why take the risk? But, others see the opportunity.

Classis pessimist vs. optimist example.

Dave
    Jul 1, 2015. 01:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Ye Of Little Faith' What Has It Cost You? Part 1 [View article]
    It must be nice to have known Graham on such a personal level.

Many of us don't ever get the opportunity to become friends with such great teachers or investors.

You must consider yourself fortunate and blessed.
    Jun 30, 2015. 06:49 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Greek Bank Holidays Won't Close The ATM Of This Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    George:

I took the boat out this morning and went out to see what the fish were up to. Got back this afternoon with my live well full of fish to clean. Took a shower and turned on the tube.

The market was down today.

So then I went outside to fire up the grill and I'll be cooking some Redfish fillets, corn on the cob, and veggie chunks (squash, red onions, mushrooms, red bell peppers and cherry tomatoes.)

We will be washing those down with some Fat Tire and then go to bed about 10:00 and begin another day of being retired.

Fat and happy.

Dave
    Jun 29, 2015. 05:28 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking Beyond The Obvious: Critical Thinking And Investment Decisions (Part 1) [View article]
    Heg:

I'm all in with that!

Dave
    Jun 29, 2015. 10:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    RAS:

That is correct. It should have your antenna going up, in much the same way when some guy on the radio is telling you that you can buy 3 tires and get the 4th tire free at Tire City.

Sounds good. But how much does one tire cost? Relative to what I can get the same tire for at Sam's Club?

Dave
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:32 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Must The Income Investor Be Concerned With Total Return Prior To Retirement? [View article]
    Dave:

You do realize that the article you mentioned by David Van Knapp was meant to be a response, point by point, as to the standard misconceptions of the DGI critics?
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    G/DF:

My idea of "contrarian" might be a bit more simple than other notions. I recently bought more XOM at $83 and change.

Dave
    Jun 28, 2015. 05:56 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DF:

He never failed to solve a case.

Must be something to his line of thinking.

Dave
    Jun 28, 2015. 05:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    It's one thing to have enough guts to go up and ask a girl to dance at a party. It's another thing to get on the dance floor when she says "ok."

Dave
    Jun 28, 2015. 05:53 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    G:

These days, it's only a matter of time.

Ignore and they will find another street lamp to flitter about.

Dave
    Jun 28, 2015. 05:50 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DF:

My favorite show.

Dave
    Jun 28, 2015. 05:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Bob:

My wife was a math teacher for about 15 years, before she became a high school principal.

So, I understand very well where education is these days.

When my kids came home with some off the wall notion, we took the time to dissect it and come to some understanding as to what was said and what was meant.

My son, who is not really cut out for college, used to enjoy arguing with his professors. In Mississippi, seniors can attend university for free, as long as you are not pursuing a degree.

I have been taking classes just for the purpose of debate. The good news is that I don't have to worry about passing the class!

But, the lack of critical thinking is a problem. It was a lot more common to find critical thinking when schools had vocational education. You have to think pretty hard and logically when you are doing the electrical wiring for a house.
    Jun 28, 2015. 02:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment