David Crosetti

View David Crosetti's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why Gilead Is The Most Exciting Growth Opportunity In 2014 [View article]
    Chuck stated, before the graph:

<<<<Based on consensus estimates for 2014's earnings, Gilead offers a current earnings yield of 8.3%. However, since investors are always buying the future, the potential for high earnings yield is extremely robust, assuming earnings growth continues.>>>...

I don't think he's implying that the growth rate of earnings will continue a the current pace.

Maybe I'm wrong..............

Aug 16 10:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Gilead Is The Most Exciting Growth Opportunity In 2014 [View article]
    I have been a DGI most of my adult life. (When I was young, I never considered myself an "adult").

Needless to say, I look for value first and dividends second. Sounds like a contradiction, but let me explain.

Five-seven years ago, when I would run my fundamentals screen, there would be a number of DG stocks that passed muster.

Today? Not so much. What comes up on my screen? Stocks like GILD and a few more.

Now as a DGI, I might not be all that familiar with the companies that are popping up on my screen, but I've got the time to investigate them, FAST Graph them and then make a purchase decision.

Value is where you find it. I'm not finding a lot of value in DG stocks right now (with the exception of a few here and there), but I'm in this to take advantage of situations that make sense.

Like bending over to pick up the $20 that someone dropped in the gutter.

Aug 16 10:43 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Unloved Growth Utility In The Gulf Coast [View article]
    If I were buying a utility stock, today, and I am, then I'm going with Southern Company (NYSE:SO). Company has 13 years of dividend growth (at around 4% growth a year) and currently pays 4.86% yield.

Aug 16 10:23 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter, But Not For The Reason You Think [View article]
    Old:

You have to be thrown from a horse before you can understand the lesson learned by being thrown from a horse. That is: "Hang the f**k on!"

Aug 16 10:17 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter, But Not For The Reason You Think [View article]
    Rich:

Like you, I would suggest that DVK's article should serve as the end to this on-going nonsense.

I don't give a flying rip if someone says that my DGI is silly. I don't give a flying rip if someone says my capital gain target companies are risky. It's my freaking money and who the hell made anyone "boss over me?"

If I want financial advice, I will get in touch with Warren Buffett (but since I'm not trying to get in touch with Warren, the need for financial advice from him or anyone else is not required).

I've made every mistake in the book and have bounced back from those disasters with a new found experience that can be summed up with: "Jesus, don't do THAT again."

It's a lesson that every investor needs to learn a time or two before they want to become financial advisors on a freaking internet site.

Information here, including my own, is "free." I would offer that advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. In the case of advice at SA, that would be "nothing."

Aug 16 09:36 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Staples: A Value Trap? [View article]
    Having owned SPLS in the past, I think that like some other companies, SPLS goes in and out of favor with investors.

As RAS pointed out, time will tell, this time.

Aug 15 09:20 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    63:

Cattle. But the startup costs are incredible.

I think to many people are playing "Farmville."

Aug 15 07:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    Moderation:

On paper, AFL looks interesting here. As someone who has owned it, starting in 2010, the company has been an underachiever for me. I hold it. The dividend is nice, but the problem is in the exchange rates with Japan being such a large component of AFL's business model.

Aug 15 07:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    Joe:

Agreed. The world of index investing reaches WAY beyond the sp500.

Many people who don't index seem to miss that point. An index in and of itself does not "mirror the market." It mirrors the portion of the market that it is indexing.

Good points.

Aug 15 07:46 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    76:

Painting with a wide brush. What I should have said was that 50% of the companies in the index will perform better than the index and 50% of the companies in the index will perform at a rate that is less than the index.

One misconception is that an index represents "the market." The "market" is much more broad than the SP500 or any other index.

Aug 15 07:43 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    Viper:

Same to you!

I like the notion of 401k and averaging into positions over a long period of time. Makes sense to me.

Aug 14 08:56 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    Mr. Viperman:

I was not being critical of your comment. I was questioning what makes you think that in today's market that an Index is going to do any better than a basket of individual stocks?

With the market priced where it is and the smoke and mirrors economic construct that we find ourselves in today, I would think that erring on the side of caution for both DG investors and for Total Return investors is warranted here.

Or would you disagree?

I'm not finding anything of compelling value in the traditional DG stock universe today. At the same time, I would not be initiating a position in an Index here either.

I guess I might be a little different than some DG investors. I don't believe in buying anything at any price, just because I might have some money that's burning a hole in my pocket.

I'd rather err on the side of valuations. Frankly, as I've said time and time again, there is nothing on my radar right now--including making an investment in an Index.

But if anyone wants to go ahead and do that, then good for them.

Aug 14 06:57 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    Five:

A lot of us tend to comment more than write these days. I guess some of us are all "written-out."

Sorry about your family setbacks. Hope things get better for you.

Aug 14 06:36 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    Five:

Good to see you again!

Yes, the spirit of Lawrence lives on in many new arrivals. We also have a few that might bring back memories of Alpha-Man. Oh, yeah.

Aug 14 06:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    To many people assume that there are no "total returns" from DG stocks.

It's almost as if the "critics" are suggesting that if you invest in DG stocks, then you are foregoing total return.

You're not.

In much the same way that growth companies produce total returns, so do DG companies.

The trick for either is to focus on valuation. Netflix was a heck of a value at $70 in 2012. Great run. Same thing with GMCR at $25 the same year. Not so much today, though.

It's "relative", folks.