David Crosetti

View David Crosetti's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
    SS:

I don't do a lot of physical things like I used to.

Being disabled means knowing your limits. Even when I was younger, I never took Mother Nature for granted.

Every day you see a story about someone getting killed in the great outdoors, because they overestimated their own skill sets, were not prepared, or took a foolish risk.

I guess that can pertain to the stock market as well.

May 23, 2015. 09:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Miss:

There seems to be some misconception that I don't like Index funds. I do.

But if your write a number of articles that discuss DGI, then you get branded as a one trick pony.

Go figure.

My main argument here is that people who are younger, need to get off their rear ends and start the process, regardless of the method that they use.

Time is money. Money is time.

May 23, 2015. 09:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    This article is not about specific stocks.

While the article mentions five specific stocks, these stock are meant as illustrations.

The article could have used any five stocks from the author’s portfolio.

The use of the index in the article is not intended to be a criticism of indexing.

The article is about time and time in the market.

The idea was to illustrate how time tends to equal out the investment results.

For example, while indexing has performed very well in the last 5 years, over the long haul individual stock selection and indexing would appear to pretty much even out.

Investing can begin with as little as $100. The key to success is to get started with investing, be persistent with your investing, allow nothing to stand in your way.

Just like the Colorado River got started flowing, was persistent in making its way to the sea, and allowed nothing to stand in the way.

What resulted was the Grand Canyon.

Do the same with your portfolio and what could result is The Grand Portfolio.

Hope that clears up any misconception.
    May 23, 2015. 09:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Earl:

I'm going to have to sit and contemplate your comment for a while. I think that you have made a profound discovery and that you have expressed it very well. However, I'd sure like to crunch some of those numbers.

Thanks for posting that. I need to get my pencil out.

May 23, 2015. 09:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Tim:

There was a point in time where I felt than anything less than a 3% yield was a stock to avoid.

Not anymore and not for a long time.

I want value, a solid DGR, and to reinvest dividends. Simple.

The stocks I mention here (and others in my portfolio) have been split machines over the years.

A lot of people don't see the value in a split. But when I have 100 shares that I paid $40 for and the company splits 2:1 at $80 a share, I end up with 200 shares at $40 and now, my cost basis drops to $20.

When the stock goes back up to $80 and splits again, I now have 400 shares at a market price of $40, but my cost basis is $10.

And so on.

These stocks have been rewarding me with splits for the longest time. I am a firm believer that stock splits indicate a positive economic outlook for a company and stocks that split are ones with good revenue and earnings growth and will perform well in the 5 years after the split.

Take a look at AAPL from when they announced the split and after the split to see what I mean.

May 23, 2015. 09:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    This article is not about specific stocks.

The article could have used any five stocks from the author’s portfolio.

The article is about time and time in the market.

The idea was to illustrate how time tends to equal out the investment results.

Investing can begin with as little as $100. The key to success is to get started with investing, be persistent with your investing, allowing nothing to stand in your way.

What resulted was the Grand Canyon.

Do the same with your portfolio and what could result is The Grand Portfolio.

Hope that clears up any misconception.
    May 23, 2015. 09:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Roger:

Back at you!

Have a great time with the family. We are headed down to the farm tomorrow and Monday.

May 23, 2015. 08:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SS:

That sounds like quite a trip and one that is on my bucket list.

My daughter, who accompanied me to the Grand Canyon has been to Africa twice, on mission trips. Kenya. A group of us fund an orphanage and school for about 40 kids. I've been there once, but it was a short trip.

I'd like to do about 6 months to a year in Africa.

Have a fantastic trip!

May 23, 2015. 08:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Joni:

It hit my limit order price and I am now an owner too!

May 23, 2015. 08:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    TWW:

I don't report anyone's comments as "abuse."

I have enough of my own deleted on a regular basis for whatever reason.

May 23, 2015. 08:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    G:

Let's be clear here. The exterior looks pretty good, but the engine and transmission have been worked pretty hard. I am like a high mileage car. Better have extended warrantee coverage with this vehicle.

May 23, 2015. 08:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Craig:

We did stop of at Walnut Canyon on the trip home and saw the Indian dwellings there. Very cool.

May 23, 2015. 08:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Boom:

I have done nicely with the stocks that I've held in my portfolio. There have been a few changes over the years, but not a lot. My old retirement portfolio has not had any new money added to it (it's an IRA).

My Roth account has been active since 2005 and tends to be a little more eclectic than a "normal" DGI portfolio. In that account dividends are good, but capital gains are better since they go untaxed.

May 23, 2015. 08:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warning: Don't Let Market Hype Cause You To Miss This Total Return Opportunity [View article]
    Mike:

I don't care who you are--that's funny!

May 22, 2015. 09:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    WSD:

Can't wait to see your article!

Or is this just talk?