David Fish

View David Fish's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Mr. Valuation's Best Ideas For Retirement And Dividend Growth Portfolios: Emerson Electric [View article]
    ...and oranges make terrible pies, anyway...:(
    Mar 30, 2015. 05:48 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mr. Valuation's Best Valued Ideas For Retirement And Dividend Growth Portfolios: Cisco [View article]
    "no effort was made to understand"

Well, congrats on being all-knowing, all-seeing! I can assure you that I have spent more than enough time and effort trying to understand this side-topic. And now I'm done.
    Mar 29, 2015. 02:22 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Paul,
    Again, with all due respect, what you and NV_Gary have to say about medical practice is certainly important in the realm of human health. "Yet, you sided with the patients even though NV_Gary clearly explained why, in clinical medicine, he felt the patients were not giving sufficient information." I think you're going a bit overboard when you say that I "sided with the patients" because I was simply stating their perspective in relation to our conversation about definitions. I did not "side" with anyone and I certainly agree that patients need to be clear about exact time frames.

But the bottom line here is that he asked me a procedural question about the CCC, which I was happy to answer. My subsequent comment...which I wouldn't have bothered with if I were being "dismissive"...simply revolved around the fact that different people have different perspectives and that that is understandable. I did not anticipate that a detailed discussion of medical procedures would ensue, nor would I have much had much to offer to such a discussion...which is essentially a completely different topic.
    Mar 29, 2015. 01:14 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Paul,
    With all due respect, I did not "dismiss" Gary's comment at all. He asked a question which I answered, and we both acknowledged that the answer largely depends on the context. My subsequent response was to expand on the analogy and to elaborate on the different contexts...along with the simple fact that the patient and the doctor obviously have different perspectives.
    You seem to be trying to make me feel guilty...as if I would casually suggest putting lives at stake or something.
    Mar 28, 2015. 01:40 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well,my basic criteria is "consecutive years of higher dividends" which is "anchored" to the "years" (as in distinct calendar years)...NOT to a ticking clock that starts with the first dividend. If I tried to do it that way, I'd go crazy trying to track every company from a different date! (and very few companies start paying or raising dividends exactly on January 1st.)

Back to your analogy...I have to go with the patients. If you were sick on Wednesday, sick on Thursday, and sick on Friday, then I think it's correct to say sick ON three days and Friday would be the THIRD day of sickness.
    (I think the similarity is that each "day" runs from Midnight to Midnight, so "consecutive 'days' of sickness is like "consecutive 'years' of higher dividends.")
    Mar 27, 2015. 06:21 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    Congrats on having 1,000 comments!
    Mar 27, 2015. 03:11 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    Mike...looks like you're wrong. It only says 998 at the top...although I suppose this one will make it 999...;)
    Mar 27, 2015. 03:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Superb analysis and I must agree with Chuck since I just added Cisco to a Roth IRA this month...:)
    Mar 27, 2015. 02:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "How does it qualify for Challenger status?"

I use calendar years by default, so CSCO's initial dividends in 2011 made that Year 1 and its latest increase (from 19¢ to 21¢ per share) makes 2015 Year 5, making it a Challenger.
    <Just over 4 years...can be parts of 5 distinct years>
    Mar 27, 2015. 02:56 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 55 Companies Cut Their Dividends So Far In 2015 And I Still SWAN (Sleep Well At Night) [View instapost]
    It looks like we are also going to see one of those currency-related "cuts" that will delete a foreign company: Novo-Nordisk A/S (NVO), a 14-year Contender.
    The dividend being paid on March 31 is just under 76¢ (US), down from 83¢ last year...despite the fact that the company increased its dividend in Danish Krona.
    So the strong dollar continues to take its toll on ADRs (American Depository Receipts).
    Mar 27, 2015. 02:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Urstadt Biddle Properties declares $0.255 dividend [View news story]
    This report is in error. The UBA amount remains .255 and the UBP amount remains .225.
    Mar 26, 2015. 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Contenders The Real Champions? [View article]
    This discussion of healthy-vs.-unhealthy strikes me as mostly an issue for those that want to engage in "Socially Responsible Investing" (or SRI). I don't engage in SRI, but those who do are more than welcome to make that choice.

To me, the important question is which are the best investments. The restaurants with the wonderful growth are also being priced higher, which diminishes the value of faster growth to some extent. (A quick look on Yahoo shows the following P/Es: MCD 20.22, WFM 32.66, CMG 46.80, CBRL* 24.32. The yields are 3.5%, 1.0%, 0%, and 2.6%, respectively.)

*Cracker Barrel Old Country Stores, the only one I own.
    Mar 26, 2015. 01:41 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bear Claws My Dividend Growth Portfolio - Will I Cut And Run? [View article]
    High...
    While not disagreeing with your examples, I think you may be "overselling" your point by making dividend cuts seem very "common" among CCC companies.
    By all means, people might want to check out the Deletions table on the Changes tab. <I'm citing the working copy of the 3/31 spreadsheet, which will appear soon.> There you'll find that there have been 265 deletions, of which 79 have been cuts. (The rest were freezes or M&A related.) So, together with the current 689 CCC companies, that's just 79 out of 954 current or former CCCs, or 8.3%. That's the total over 7.25 years...which includes the "Great Recession," or just over 1% annually.
    Mar 26, 2015. 01:20 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Holding Cash A Good Idea? Will It Pay Off? [View article]
    "And its hard to determine what the exact mix is at any point in time"

Agreed. In fact, I think that there are three things that affect stock prices:
    1. Earnings
    2. Dividends
    3. Noise...which includes rumors and emotional responses, both individual and "herd" mentality.
    The first two things are what really matter, but up to 99% of the trading each day is based on the third item.
    Mar 26, 2015. 01:00 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Contenders The Real Champions? [View article]
    "Dave, are you hoping they will buy HRL? :-)"

Nah...I'm not sure Buffett is that smart...;)
    Mar 25, 2015. 03:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment