David Fish

View David Fish's Comments BY TICKER:
  • What Is 'Quality' In A Stock? [View article]
    ...proving once again the Power of Spam...:)
    Apr 24 06:55 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is 'Quality' In A Stock? [View article]
    Great rundown of some of the definitions of quality...and how much "gray area" there may always be. Nice to see that certain companies come up on many of the listings.
    Apr 24 06:44 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Overdue' Dividend Increases: Quiet Time Again [View article]
    Update: Champions Tennant (TNC) and 1st Source (SRCE) have both declared dividend increases, removing them from the "Overdue" list.
    Apr 24 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired? How To Create A Strong Foundation Of Valuation Under Your Portfolio: Part 2 [View article]
    "a proxy for fair value for a high-quality company might be along the top of the aqua area"

I've had this thought, too. In general, I see the price line in the green area as being "earnings-justified," while the price in the aqua area might be seem as "dividend-justified."
    Apr 23 06:12 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nice Part 2 to this series and I particularly like the idea of linking valuation to earnings, since I think that earnings growth is the common source of both dividend growth and price appreciation.
    Looking forward to Part 3...:)
    Apr 23 02:48 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth On Hiatus For Darden Restaurants? [View article]
    "My concern is that I am seeing such poor advise on these boards and on CNBC that it does concern me."

ARG1, Two things concern me about your statement:
    1. That you lump "these boards" together with CNBC, when they are two very different things. CNBC is a mass media channel that presents the views of "experts" who are implied to have some superior investment acumen. These "boards" are a widely diverse series of articles from independent writers who express judgments about the analysis of information that they present in as much detail as possible.
    2. That you decry "such poor advise" in comments to this article, which did not offer advice or recommendations, just the author's line of thinking. I didn't see much in any of the comments that would be considered advice, either...just various people offering their thoughts and mentioning actions that they have taken (or not taken).
    Apr 23 02:31 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Interesting that SRE's price appreciation was exactly double that of BRK.B, more than tripling in price (vs. a tad over doubling by BRK.B).

And the kicker is that that doesn't even include dividends, which were rising every year...or any of the compounding of reinvestment!
    Apr 23 01:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth On Hiatus For Darden Restaurants? [View article]
    Thanks for this review and your thinking on DRI. I've been thinking the along the same line, but haven't sold yet.
    One possibility is that the Red Lobster spin-off will take with it proportionally more of the debt and earnings "drag," leaving the remaining company with better earnings prospects. That seems to be consistent with management's "hints."
    The other possible positive is that the Red Lobster spin-off would proportionally fracture the current dividend between the two entities, after which the lower DRI amount would represent 70-75% (or less) of the profits.
    Still...a lot of uncertainty here.
    Apr 22 11:18 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Challengers: 15 Increases Expected In The Next 11 Weeks [View article]
    Great...that's another new Contender!
    Apr 22 11:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Real Dividend Growth Machine: Q1 2014 Review [View article]
    Nice summary of your activity and results so far. It looks like you're well on your way to achieving your goals...and then some!
    Apr 17 07:15 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    Here's a previous article I did analyzing the "seasonality" of dividend increases: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Apr 17 11:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My KISS Dividend Portfolio: 1st Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    "Except you didn't mention YOC once. Does it have any importance when deciding to sell one DG stock and buy another one?"

Fuzzy,
    Its importance might be as an inverse indicator for the stock being sold. In other words...when contemplating the sale of a stock with high YOC, the YOC correlates to a low cost basis and possibly high capital gains that may be taxed, leaving less net funds with which to buy the new stock. The new stock, of course, has no YOC prior to purchase.
    Apr 17 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "All my eggs are in one basket- that of great publicly traded entities. And I watch that basket _very_ closely."

There's a lot to be said for having a really, really nice basket...;)
    Apr 17 11:34 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 13 Increases Expected By The End Of June [View article]
    Quick update: PPG and SON from this list have announced their latest increases.
    Apr 17 11:28 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My KISS Dividend Portfolio: 1st Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    "The origin of the million dollars to buy the second portfolio isn't really relevant."

Fuzzy,
    I think it would matter a great deal in terms of taxes if an investor owning a million-dollar (non-DG) portfolio is turning it into a "one-day" DG portfolio of the same exact stocks (as one already existing)...because he or she would have to sell that first portfolio to create the "one-day" portfolio, but would have to pay any capital gains taxes on the stocks being sold, which could be substantial.

So, for example, if Joe Blow has a nice $1 million DG portfolio that I'm trying to duplicate by "converting" my $1 million non-DG portfolio, a lot depends on how much I paid for the "old" portfolio that I'm cashing in. If I had paid only $250,000 for my stocks, I'd have a $750,000 capital gain to pay taxes on...and I would no longer have $1 million with which to duplicate the Joe Blow portfolio. Meanwhile, of course, Joe has no plans to sell his portfolio. He's content to collect the (growing) dividends.
    Apr 16 11:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment