David Fish

View David Fish's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Real Dividend Growth Machine: Q1 2014 Review [View article]
    Nice summary of your activity and results so far. It looks like you're well on your way to achieving your goals...and then some!
    Apr 17 07:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    Here's a previous article I did analyzing the "seasonality" of dividend increases: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Apr 17 11:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My KISS Dividend Portfolio: 1st Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    "Except you didn't mention YOC once. Does it have any importance when deciding to sell one DG stock and buy another one?"

Fuzzy,
    Its importance might be as an inverse indicator for the stock being sold. In other words...when contemplating the sale of a stock with high YOC, the YOC correlates to a low cost basis and possibly high capital gains that may be taxed, leaving less net funds with which to buy the new stock. The new stock, of course, has no YOC prior to purchase.
    Apr 17 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    "All my eggs are in one basket- that of great publicly traded entities. And I watch that basket _very_ closely."

There's a lot to be said for having a really, really nice basket...;)
    Apr 17 11:34 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 13 Increases Expected By The End Of June [View article]
    Quick update: PPG and SON from this list have announced their latest increases.
    Apr 17 11:28 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My KISS Dividend Portfolio: 1st Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    "The origin of the million dollars to buy the second portfolio isn't really relevant."

Fuzzy,
    I think it would matter a great deal in terms of taxes if an investor owning a million-dollar (non-DG) portfolio is turning it into a "one-day" DG portfolio of the same exact stocks (as one already existing)...because he or she would have to sell that first portfolio to create the "one-day" portfolio, but would have to pay any capital gains taxes on the stocks being sold, which could be substantial.

So, for example, if Joe Blow has a nice $1 million DG portfolio that I'm trying to duplicate by "converting" my $1 million non-DG portfolio, a lot depends on how much I paid for the "old" portfolio that I'm cashing in. If I had paid only $250,000 for my stocks, I'd have a $750,000 capital gain to pay taxes on...and I would no longer have $1 million with which to duplicate the Joe Blow portfolio. Meanwhile, of course, Joe has no plans to sell his portfolio. He's content to collect the (growing) dividends.
    Apr 16 11:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Contenders: 29 Increases Expected By June 30 [View article]
    I agree. I have a small DRIP position in COST, but would like to add it to an IRA (or Roth) if it would trade a bit lower.
    Apr 16 11:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 401(k) Reconstructed: Q1 2014 Review [View article]
    Nice summary...it looks like you're headed in the right direction, with a lot of high-quality holdings.
    Apr 16 03:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Constructing And Designing The Stock Portfolio That's Just Right For You: Part 1 [View article]
    Great illustrations that emphasize the unique nature of each company...and I'm looking forward to part 2 and the introduction of valuation elements.
    Apr 16 02:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "I enjoy sitting on my hands getting paid to wait on another pay raise."

Me, too, but you have to be aware of the downside...which you see when you keep getting those pesky raises while you still haven't figured out what to do with the previous ones...:0
    Apr 16 01:37 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Challengers: 15 Increases Expected In The Next 11 Weeks [View article]
    Rose...agree about COH. It's near where I got in a few months back, so I think it's a good value...although I wish it would have held on to recent gains and continued higher. I don't consider it a "core" position, but would like to hold it long-term.
    Apr 16 01:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Eddie,
    Note that George is the one who's kind enough to provide a site on which to post the files.
    Apr 15 06:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 13 Increases Expected By The End Of June [View article]
    I'm with you on those ones...since I own them both!

Maybe XOM will feel a little pressure to keep up with CVX, which they're often compared with these days (and I also own...:)
    Apr 15 06:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    Yeah, maybe when you take into account enough "Factors," the 24% decline was really an increase...in Total Return, which is all that matters...:)

Besides, everyone knows that dividends are irrelevant.
    Apr 15 06:28 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ...which makes CSX the newest Dividend Contender...:)
    Apr 15 06:22 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment