David Fish

View David Fish's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    Bought Apple today at $95.17...already up over $12/share...;)

Hmmm...up almost 13% in two hours...I could do one of those newsletters about "Profits of a gazillion percent!"

But, heh, again it's just actual results, so it would carry no weight in academia.
    Aug 24, 2015. 12:15 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New System For Picking Stocks To Buy For DIY DGI Portfolios [View article]
    But I'm still not sure what you mean by an Open Office "version" since my goal is simply to post a .xls file...which is usable by the most people possible.
    Aug 23, 2015. 11:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A New System For Picking Stocks To Buy For DIY DGI Portfolios [View article]
    Not sure what you mean as Open Office is used to "do Excel" spreadsheets.

(Even if it were some variation, I only get to post a specific spreadsheet name on the site where I post it.)
    Aug 22, 2015. 11:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A New System For Picking Stocks To Buy For DIY DGI Portfolios [View article]
    Dennis,
    Great effort here and you've come up some excellent ideas. Personally, I'm still using Excel 97(!) so there are definitely formulas I can't use. (I wanted the CCC to be usable by the greatest number of people.)
    As to the Confidence Factor, that's one formula that I have been "meaning to" to update for some time, since I know that I added useful columns after creating that formula...but as you said, it's mainly aimed at the probability of future increases.
    I'll be curious to see how this develops, especially considering how desirable the resulting top choices turn out to be. I guess that will depend on the scoring of the various factors.
    Aug 22, 2015. 04:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get Your Smart Beta Here! Dividend Growth Stocks As 'Strategic Beta' Investments [View article]
    I find it amusing that non of these ETF proponents who criticize any and all stock picking seem blissfully unaware of the preponderance of ETF-picking among their own "Haters Club."
    Aug 22, 2015. 03:20 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In Today's Overheated Market, Control Risk In Your Retirement Portfolios With Sound Valuation [View article]
    Beneath the table that shows the poor performance of the "average investor" is this:
    "Average Investor is represented by Dalbar's average asset allocation investor return, which utilizes the net of aggregate mutual
    fund sales, redemptions and exchanges each month as a measure of investor behavior."

So the "average investor" described consists solely of mutual fund sellers.
    Aug 21, 2015. 08:32 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DVK,
    Thanks for the kind words and I can only echo the previous comments and agree that this article should be an Editor's Pick!
    Aug 21, 2015. 02:37 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Contenders: 24 Increases Expected In The Next 11 Weeks [View article]
    I had the same impression, but also own BBL. Maybe someone out there owns BHP and can confirm(?)
    Aug 20, 2015. 07:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Great reminder of the importance of focusing on valuation...with excellent examples.
    Aug 20, 2015. 01:01 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Technically, I don't think it makes too much difference. But BBL tends to trade at a lower price, even though both receive the same dividend, so it seems to be a better bargain.
    Aug 20, 2015. 02:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    ...but its food is not as "heavenly."
    Aug 19, 2015. 01:21 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Dividend Growth Stocks For Your Retirement Portfolio's Aggregate Yield 4.3%: Part 2 [View article]
    "In the LONG run indexing wins..."

But in what context? Are you making that statement in relation to "the average investor?" (Just trying to understand such a general statement.)
    Aug 19, 2015. 01:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Challengers (And Near-Challengers): 35 Increases Expected By October 31 [View article]
    "so I suspect the dividend growth rate may be going lower even though it looks like it went up."

The dividend growth rate may go lower...but it didn't just look like it went up, it DID go up. (But the fact that it went up more than usual is probably not repeatable.)
    Aug 19, 2015. 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "Is there a note"

No, other than the note in the Q column that matches the Old rate in the J column, but that doesn't explain the historical rates.

The spreadsheet is not designed to help people reconstruct the past. It is a forward-looking set of metrics. For example, the numbers for ADP (as a stand-alone company) are entirely accurate for a future investment candidate, since nothing in the future will be affected by the status or condition of the spin-off company, whose existence is now irrelevant to ADP.
    Aug 18, 2015. 10:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Love My 'Magic Pants' And My Partners Wear Them Proudly [View article]
    In theory, "practice makes perfect," but nobody is perfect, so it's OK to go easy on practice.
    Aug 18, 2015. 12:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment