David Hunkar

View David Hunkar's Comments BY TICKER:

Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Can You Retire On Less Than $1 Million? [View article]
    Good article.

Like others have pointed out, I would adjust your assumptions slightly. Life expectancy can be set at 95 and include healthcare costs in the equation. Even with medicare healthcare costs can take out a big chunk of a retiree's monthly expense.

Most people would like to live here but like another commentator has pointed out there are many other places outside of the US where one can live comfortably for less. WSJ has articles on such retirees on a regular basis.
    Jan 18, 2014. 09:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Stock For Long-Term Investors [View article]
    Lee Boy - Good article !. Although the title could be different as others and SA Editor Eli note above.

In my opinion, despite all the comical French politics and policies, France still offers has plenty of world-class companies and investors must consider them for long-term investment instead of simply ignoring all companies that are French.

Here are a few things to consider about L'Air Liquide SA:
    1. Like another commentator noted it is better to go with the OTC traded AIQUY than AIQUF.

2. AIQUY became effective on Jan 15, 1983 per BNY Mellon data. So it has traded on the US markets for a long time. Yahoo Finance data alone goes as far back as 1996.

3.Average daily trading volume is over 20,000 shares per day this year with the top volume reaching over 46,000 in July. So definitely it is not very thinly traded.

4.L'Air Liquide SA is a member of the CAC-40 Index.

5.The company operates in a highly specialized field.

Though the recent French Financial Tax and withholding taxes are a pain in the neck for US investors those costs are small when compared to potential growth opportunities for long-term investors in French companies.

Nov 30, 2013. 11:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Beyond BRICs: The New ABCs of Global Investing [View article]
    Interesting article. Just one small update. Nordea Bank's ticker changed to effective Jan 12th. Deutsche Bank Trust Company Americas is the depository now instead of Bank of America NY Mellon.
    Jan 22, 2011. 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity Income Strategies With ETFs [View article]
    Sorry about that.I did not realize that your point was about building a portfolio with ETFs at the sector level.It was a misinterpretation on my part. I have been thinking about investing for income with ETFs and when I found the above paper I jumped on it.

SA Readers
    Please note the clarification above. Thanks.
    May 2, 2010. 10:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Brazilian Real Estate Market Set to Boom [View article]
    There are two typos in the article above. Corrections below:

1. Gafisa is (GFA) of the Brazilian home-builder stocks.. must say:

Gafisa is (GFA) one of the Brazilian home-builder stocks.....

2.The growing resilience and strength of the Brazilian economy us confirmed by ... must say:

The growing resilience and strength of the Brazilian economy was confirmed by ...

Sorry about this.
    Nov 27, 2009. 07:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Top 25 Global Energy Companies According to Platts [View article]
    Angermann & User 491615
    Sorry that was a typo. BP is a British company. It should say US.

Whooper - Thanks for the ticker for BG.

Nov 24, 2009. 08:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Daily Wisdom: Brazilian ADRs Edition [View article]
    Hi Alan
    Thanks for the note.Sorry about the outdated links.

Yes I should have made my disclaimer stronger. Anyway this was a new theme that I came up and it seems to help folks. I have posted a followup post on China ADRs.

In future posts, I will make sure that I don't link to old outdated articles.

Good Luck!
    Aug 2, 2009. 10:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Some Global Markets Are Up Big YTD [View article]
    Point noted. next time I will use a different format so that it is very clear. Thanks.
    Jul 20, 2009. 10:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking U.S. Banks by Insurance Income [View article]
    ain't no fo...
    Yes.It would be helpful.
    I did not find the detailed split of the insurance income like you mention in the chart and report that I found. If I find the detailed info I will post it here again. Thanks for the note.
    Jul 20, 2009. 10:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Are So Many U.S. States Facing Budget Deficits? [View article]
    Thanks to everyone for the comments. Your comments gave me an idea for a followup article. I will post that this weekend.

Thanks Al-USA.I agree many people misunderstand the mechanics of how capitalism works.
    Jun 27, 2009. 07:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Tops List of Countries with the Largest External Debt [View article]
    Yes it does in my opinion. For example, some folks prefer investing in countries where external debt is low or reduced on YOY basis.
    Jun 23, 2009. 01:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chart Shows U.S. Government Borrowing Rises Sharply [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. Interesting to know about the BIS info on European banks.
    Jun 23, 2009. 01:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Chart: Commodity Types Carried by Major North American Railroads [View article]
    Hi User
    Currently I don't.But I am doing some research to collect this type of data.Railroads report data on a weekly basis. So its tricky to collect data easily. Feel free to go to my site and send me an if you prefer.I can forward the data I collect. Thanks.

Jun 23, 2009. 01:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Checking in on the Current State of Brazil's Economy [View article]
    Thanks for the comment.I am working on the Tier1 ratio analysis of US banks. Will post it soon.

Mad Hedge Fund Trader
    Jun 19, 2009. 08:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Slowdown in U.S. Housing May Bottom Out This Year [View article]
    We shall see as time goes on how the prime mortgages are affected.

Radardoc - Yes that may be the reason.I agree.The worst case scenarios may still use some rosy assumptions.Thanks for the comment.
    Jun 11, 2009. 04:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment