David Hunkar

View David Hunkar's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Four European Oil Company ADRs with Dividends Greater than 5% [View article]
    Thanks bc818 for the note.

Pink Panther - My screener did not bring up STO.Sometimes this happens due to data inconsistency between screeners. Anyway I will add debt to capital ratio in future posts of this type.
    Jun 11 04:09 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Six Energy ADRs with Attractive Yields [View article]
    Hi bullpasture
    Thanks for the note. Yes I know that Canadian stocks trading in the US are not ADRs. When Seeking Alpha editors changed the title name of this article they changed it to say ADR. It was just a typo.

Cheers
    -David
    Apr 13 11:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Retire On Less Than $1 Million? [View article]
    Doug
    Good article.

Like others have pointed out, I would adjust your assumptions slightly. Life expectancy can be set at 95 and include healthcare costs in the equation. Even with medicare healthcare costs can take out a big chunk of a retiree's monthly expense.

Most people would like to live here but like another commentator has pointed out there are many other places outside of the US where one can live comfortably for less. WSJ has articles on such retirees on a regular basis.
    Jan 18 09:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Stock For Long-Term Investors [View article]
    Lee Boy - Good article !. Although the title could be different as others and SA Editor Eli note above.

In my opinion, despite all the comical French politics and policies, France still offers has plenty of world-class companies and investors must consider them for long-term investment instead of simply ignoring all companies that are French.

Here are a few things to consider about L'Air Liquide SA:
    1. Like another commentator noted it is better to go with the OTC traded AIQUY than AIQUF.

2. AIQUY became effective on Jan 15, 1983 per BNY Mellon data. So it has traded on the US markets for a long time. Yahoo Finance data alone goes as far back as 1996.

3.Average daily trading volume is over 20,000 shares per day this year with the top volume reaching over 46,000 in July. So definitely it is not very thinly traded.

4.L'Air Liquide SA is a member of the CAC-40 Index.

5.The company operates in a highly specialized field.

Though the recent French Financial Tax and withholding taxes are a pain in the neck for US investors those costs are small when compared to potential growth opportunities for long-term investors in French companies.

Thanks.
    Nov 30 11:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity Income Strategies With ETFs [View article]
    Roger
    Sorry about that.I did not realize that your point was about building a portfolio with ETFs at the sector level.It was a misinterpretation on my part. I have been thinking about investing for income with ETFs and when I found the above paper I jumped on it.

Thanks
    -David

SA Readers
    Please note the clarification above. Thanks.
    May 2 10:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Chart Shows U.S. Government Borrowing Rises Sharply [View article]
    Conceptwizard
    Thanks for the comment. Interesting to know about the BIS info on European banks.
    Jun 23 01:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IMF Global Economic Outlook 2009 [View article]
    The Jan 5 edition of BusinessWeek says that their survey of 45 economists predicts that the US economy will contract by just 0.2% in 2009. This figure is much more optimistic than IMF's 1.6%.

So neither the IMF nor the BW survey seems to be correct. Lets see how it turns out.
    Jan 29 08:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Foreign Pink Sheet Traded 'Blue Chips' [View article]
    Oltrdrr
    Thanks for the comment.Yes I did not include Enel Spa (ENLAY) in the above list as I selected only 10 stocks from my screener displayed.Sorry I should made a note of that in my article.Anyway Enel is a great pick.

granger
    Thanks for your kind words.Glad you like my article.

-David
    Oct 15 08:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Beyond BRICs: The New ABCs of Global Investing [View article]
    Joe
    Interesting article. Just one small update. Nordea Bank's ticker changed to NRBAY.pk effective Jan 12th. Deutsche Bank Trust Company Americas is the depository now instead of Bank of America NY Mellon.
    Jan 22 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brazilian Real Estate Market Set to Boom [View article]
    There are two typos in the article above. Corrections below:

1. Gafisa is (GFA) of the Brazilian home-builder stocks.. must say:

Gafisa is (GFA) one of the Brazilian home-builder stocks.....

2.The growing resilience and strength of the Brazilian economy us confirmed by ... must say:

The growing resilience and strength of the Brazilian economy was confirmed by ...

Sorry about this.
    Nov 27 07:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Top 25 Global Energy Companies According to Platts [View article]
    Angermann & User 491615
    Oops.
    Sorry that was a typo. BP is a British company. It should say US.

Whooper - Thanks for the ticker for BG.

Thanks
    -David
    Nov 24 08:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Daily Wisdom: Brazilian ADRs Edition [View article]
    Hi Alan
    Thanks for the note.Sorry about the outdated links.

Yes I should have made my disclaimer stronger. Anyway this was a new theme that I came up and it seems to help folks. I have posted a followup post on China ADRs.

In future posts, I will make sure that I don't link to old outdated articles.

Good Luck!
    -David
    Aug 2 10:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Some Global Markets Are Up Big YTD [View article]
    tivoboy
    Point noted. next time I will use a different format so that it is very clear. Thanks.
    Jul 20 10:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking U.S. Banks by Insurance Income [View article]
    ain't no fo...
    Yes.It would be helpful.
    I did not find the detailed split of the insurance income like you mention in the chart and report that I found. If I find the detailed info I will post it here again. Thanks for the note.
    Jul 20 10:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Are So Many U.S. States Facing Budget Deficits? [View article]
    Thanks to everyone for the comments. Your comments gave me an idea for a followup article. I will post that this weekend.

Thanks Al-USA.I agree many people misunderstand the mechanics of how capitalism works.
    Jun 27 07:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment