David Nelson, CFA

View David Nelson, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Clouds Over Omaha - Time To Sell Berkshire Hathaway [View article]
    You make good points Doc but consider the following. The out-performance was largely made in another era. It's not just the last 5 years I'm talking about. It's been a market performer for the last decade.

I'm certain his son isn't the only reason he made this decision but regardless the decision was a poor one. What's taking place inside far to many boardrooms is nothing less than the Rape of the American Shareholder.

Mr. Buffett, given his status as one of the great investors of our time, had an opportunity to make a statement but chose to let the directors and management he says he loves so dearly off the hook.

David Nelson
    May 5, 2014. 08:21 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ready For A Rebound? Gilead's $1000 Pill [View article]
    Thanks so much for this. Hope it keeps the trend after the close today.
    Apr 22, 2014. 09:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ready For A Rebound? Gilead's $1000 Pill [View article]
    Thanks Steven for the comment. You make good points.
    Apr 17, 2014. 08:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ready For A Rebound? Gilead's $1000 Pill [View article]
    The source on the scripts was Deutsche Bank analyst Robyn Kamauskas who was referring to IMS data.
    Apr 17, 2014. 08:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ready For A Rebound? Gilead's $1000 Pill [View article]
    Thanks so much for the kind words. I appreciate it.
    Best
    David
    Apr 17, 2014. 08:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ready For A Rebound? Gilead's $1000 Pill [View article]
    The total cost is $84,000 and its over. It is a cure with a high efficacy rate. However, your point is well taken. I'm assuming the cost will come down in the analysis. For the insurance companies the cost not to treat is many times higher than the cost of the drug.
    Apr 17, 2014. 09:57 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay Shareholders - Stand Up And Be Counted [View article]
    Great comments everyone. I wish that eBay was the only example of this type of behavior but I think we know that isn't the case.
    Feb 26, 2014. 02:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook - The Greater Fool? [View article]
    Thank you everyone for reading the article. Obviously there is a dialog going on with respect to the deal. I will be discussing my viewpoint on CNBC later today on Closing Bell. Hit time is about 3:20 PM EST.

I'll leave you with one last thought. Throughout history there have been visionary leaders who started a company with a product or service that becomes wildly popular. We assume sometimes correctly that these people will always make the right decision and can do no wrong.

However in the real world even leaders make mistakes. I make them all the time. I run institutional money professionally and have been doing so for a pretty long time. Contrary to some of the comments I am not working from my bedroom trading 100 shares. You can contact me at davidnelsoncfa.com if you would like access to every closed transaction including profit and loss.

Sometimes management reaches too far to maintain their popularity and relevance in the future. Like Fonzie trying to hold up Happy Days Mark has jumped the shark.

We shall see.
    Feb 21, 2014. 11:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook - The Greater Fool? [View article]
    Couldn't have said it better.
    Feb 20, 2014. 04:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook - The Greater Fool? [View article]
    We all understand why Mr. Zuckerberg is doing this. The point of the article is that Price Matters.

What's more frightening is the analogies you are using remind me of the rationale used when Time Warner took out AOL.

I fully understand the incentive to scale and grab new users but as some of the other readers have posted the emerging markets where they are dominant don't like to pay anything. Let's see what the turn over is in a few years.

On the call management said they are not focused on monetizing the product and they are looking longterm 10-15 years. I respectfully submit that $19 Billion is too high a price especially considering there were no other bidders.
    Feb 20, 2014. 12:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook - The Greater Fool? [View article]
    Stephen,

Thanks so much for the kind words.

Best
    David
    Feb 20, 2014. 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook - The Greater Fool? [View article]
    It was tongue in cheek. It's 2 1/2 times sales if they sign up every man woman and child on the planet. 7 Billion people. 19 divided by 7. Just rounding.

I was never much of a stand up comic.
    Feb 20, 2014. 11:19 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Weather Put! Snow And Ice Heating Up The Market [View article]
    :) Why not?
    Feb 18, 2014. 03:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerging Market Investors Need To Go Active [View article]
    Congratulations.

Up until a few years ago it was unstoppable.

Great Job.

Best
    David
    Feb 8, 2014. 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerging Market Investors Need To Go Active [View article]
    Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for taking the time to read. We have a very talented Frontier Market hedge fund manager. I'll be back.

Best