David Nelson

View David Nelson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Perfect Storm - Cable Companies Sail Into The Vortex [View article]
    CMCSA is the name that understands the importance of content. Roberts has been trying to boost it ever since he attempted to take out DIS. However, with all the content they own or potentially will buy, it will not replace what is lost in premium subs over time. More and more will choose to get the service that gives them access to the pipe. In addition they will have to pay more for what they don't own.

GOOG announcement today is just the tip of the iceberg of what's coming. Growth will slow in these names and over time will achieve growth rates similar to utilities unless they make drastic changes to their business model. If I had gun to my head CMCSA would be the one I would own. You'll notice in my disclosure it was recently sold after a long ride. I'll take the content providers over cable.
    Jul 25 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Storm - Cable Companies Sail Into The Vortex [View article]
    All of these companies will use the cable pipe to deliver their own content. Cable may be able to force you to take basic channels to get their internet access. However, they won't be able to force you to buy premium content, and that is where the money is. Admittedly this may take some time to play out but we are past the inflection point.
    Jul 23 02:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Freeport McMoRan: Let The Shareholders Vote [View article]
    The culture inside the board at many companies needs to change. They often forget who they represent and it is very difficult for activist shareholders to make their voice heard.
    Dec 11 03:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Still Long, But Investors Must Admit Growth Is Slowing [View article]
    Congrats on being right. We long ago made our mea culpa and went back to a full position the day they reported.

Even if it turns out we were early on our call it is still wrong. We've moved on.
    Feb 29 09:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Still Long, But Investors Must Admit Growth Is Slowing [View article]
    Taking the heat on my Wrong call on AAPL last november. Obviously it was a superb quarter.

For those of you mounting your attacks congrats on your insight. We are beefing up security here in Greenwich.

I AM ARMED AND DANGEROUS
    Jan 25 09:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500: The Road To 1500 [View article]
    I understand that you feel my target is unrealistic but I think 15 is quite reasonable given the points I've made. I've seen 40 in my career and don't think I will see that again anytime soon.
    Jan 24 10:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500: The Road To 1500 [View article]
    Thanks, Sounds like we are on the same page
    Jan 24 10:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Outlook 2012: Seeking The Holy Grail [View article]
    The importance of Jobless Claims can be seen again today as futures move higher this morning off the Jobless Claims positive surprise.

Europe is the biggest risk we face.
    Dec 15 08:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Outlook 2012: Seeking The Holy Grail [View article]
    A lot of what you say is true and I mention it in the article. The reliable number from my perspective is the Jobless claims not the rate of unemployment. I agree that many of the unemployed have dropped off the rolls. Much of our unemployment is structural.

The jobless claims are pretty current. People generally file for unemployment insurance right away. That trend is down.

Let's hope 2012 is a better year especially for the unemployed.

Thanks for your comment.

Best
    David
    Dec 13 04:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Optimism Invasion And Your Portfolio [View article]
    Jason,

The Fed's actions are a form of QE 3. Some would even say it is the beginning of a series of coordinated moves. We have organic growth here just isn't robust.

Best
    David
    Dec 2 08:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Still Long, But Investors Must Admit Growth Is Slowing [View article]
    relayer75,

I don't mind the use of caps but your point is well taken. It was meant for emphasis only. Not to be rude.

We can only talk about the past as fact. Whenever I am speaking about the future it is of course an opinion. I believe that is understood.

Best
    David
    Nov 29 10:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Still Long, But Investors Must Admit Growth Is Slowing [View article]
    Dialectical Materialist,

"This is still a great company and should continue to innovate for years, but it is NOT and WILL NOT be the hyper growth company of years gone by"

The above is the last line of my article. Nothing I have said implies that I think Apple is about to collapse. If that were true I would sell my remaining position and get short. Many analysts and for that matter some in the room seem to agree that Apple's growth rate will slow.

The real disagreement is: "What does this mean for the Stock Price?" Most here and most on the street believe that the price momentum will continue as before. I obviously have taken a different point of view.
    Nov 28 03:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Still Long, But Investors Must Admit Growth Is Slowing [View article]
    Ken,

I haven't disparaged any of them. They think the stock will be between 500 and 700 in the next 12 months and I disagree. As always time will tell.

Best
    David
    Nov 28 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Still Long, But Investors Must Admit Growth Is Slowing [View article]
    Daugherty,
    We don’t seem to know who you are. You have chosen to lurk in the shadows. You have no Bio. No followers and it doesn’t appear that you have ever written anything. You claim to be some self proclaimed expert on Apple capable of judging the work of others when you haven’t produced anything on your own.

Most everything I do comes under public scrutiny. I publish several times a week on the Belpointe Website. I only occasionally share the work here on Seeking Alpha. When I make a recommendation on TV or the Press millions get to view my successes and failures. I am a professional money manager who puts real money behind what I say and do.

You want to criticize my work and my investment ideas fine. If you are going to call me DISHONEST then have the decency to come out of your cave and let us see who the accuser is. My name is David Nelson and I am the Chief Strategist of Belpointe Asset Management in Greenwich CT. I am in the phone book. You of course are not.
    Nov 28 08:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Still Long, But Investors Must Admit Growth Is Slowing [View article]
    That's funny. I usually get confused with Dave Nelson from the New Riders. Talked to some of my old bandmates from David Johansen and Nektar yesterday. Most are still making albums or out on tour.
    Nov 25 05:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment