David Neubert

View David Neubert's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 4 Reasons Pain For Freeport-McMoRan Is Ending [View article]
    Nice article Chris. Thanks.

If Freeport financial management is using today's doomsday low rate environment to pay down old expensive debt you could see debt service costs fall further.
    Feb 4, 2015. 09:29 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LeapFrog Is Selling Below Its Liquidation Value [View article]
    Matija -I've been following this company for years because I like their products as you do. However, I sold my position at a small loss two years ago when my two year old would watch any of their content. He actually hated it and preferred other educationally focused shows. I realized that the problem with their model was a focus on producing what parents liked not what kids like. No amount of channel checking could overcome the judgement of a two-year old.

Currently, "trading below liquidation value" always gets my attention. I might have to take another look now.
    Jan 23, 2015. 09:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: FXCM - We're Still Not Buyers [View article]
    It would be good to set out some value measures for the company. From what I can tell even slightly impaired cashflow means they can service the debt indefinitely while they look for a buyer or replacement financing. The debt terms were ominous but Lukedia (LUK) had them over a barrel, so why not extract what you can. On the other hand, FXCM shareholders got to keep a global franchise and brand functioning.

Disclosure: I have been trading FXCM shares this week from both sides. I am currently small long. I own LUK and bought more after I read the debt terms. While the loan itself is small relative to Lukedia it reminds me of Buffett coming in to "rescue" Goldman and GE at fantastic terms - smart guys.
    Jan 22, 2015. 09:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Still The Best Choice Among The Drillers [View article]
    Helpful article. Did you mean "buy put options" on weaker names?

Disclosure: Long SDRL (small).
    Oct 27, 2014. 07:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Pick Performance Up, Thanks To AMD [View instapost]
    I definitely find Chris to be right on with AMD over the years.
    Aug 31, 2014. 05:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Risks Accelerating: Sell IBM [View article]
    @anirbanb and Bestforecast: Where is the RAX recommendation in Chris Lau's article? I don't see it. I think he's making a comment about falling prices affecting profitability of the cloud storage product.

Disclosure:
    I am short IBM Jan 2016 130 Puts
    I am long GOOGL and GOOG
    Apr 22, 2014. 10:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Michael Lewis' Flawed New Book [View article]
    Thanks for adding your voice to the those debunking the idea that small investors are hurt by HFT. It is important to draw a distinction between how large investors and small investors are affected by. Algo detection strategies (are still not good for big investors but a better deal than they got 20 years ago). And there are ways the big investors can combat algo detection.
    Apr 2, 2014. 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do When AMD Reports Earnings [View article]
    Chris - nice calling the post earnings "sell the news" drop in AMD.
    Jan 22, 2014. 01:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kill The Sticky Nav [View article]
    I clicked on the article because I thought it was about mutual fund (and ETF) Net Asset Value calculations.
    Oct 15, 2013. 09:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A plan by Starbucks (SBUX +0.6%) to successfully grow from 600 stores to 1.5K stores in China by 2016 hinges on its ability to adapt the tastes of consumers to "bitter" coffee and come up with fruitier varieties. Other major challenges the company is taking on in the nation is how to appeal to the middle class with its restaurants considered expensive as well as creating a takeout business from ground zero. [View news story]
    "hinges on"
    Really? Those frappuccinos, chais and vanilla/chocolate syrup infused lattes sure are bitter. $SBUX
    Nov 5, 2012. 01:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whole Foods Market - A Healthier Business For Your Radar Screen [View article]
    I just can't pay 41x p/e for an established grocery store. There are easier ways to make money. Of course, I'm short Amazon off and on too and that doesn't usually work out well.
    Sep 11, 2012. 04:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top Insider Sales: Aug, 29, 2012 (DLB, ALXA, ROG, SJM, MPWR, PLXS, WHG, TRMB, CWT, UGI) [View instapost]
    Wow looks like the insiders at Smuckers ($SJM) were selling right into a huge earnings report and missed the gap up in the stock. oops.
    Sep 10, 2012. 01:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Call Option Trade On AT&T [View article]
    Stocks with high dividends and little option time value often see excercizes before the ex-date and well before expiration. That's why they trade at intrinsic value. Be careful. (note this is not as much of an issue on longer dated options).
    Jan 9, 2012. 06:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rogue trader causes $2 billion loss at UBS [View article]
    I know it's early in the news cycle for this story but I'm having trouble finding what products he was trading?
    Sep 15, 2011. 02:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High Yield Focus With SandRidge Mississippian Trust [View article]
    This trust issues a K-1. At tax time, I always feel like selling these trusts when i see one more piece of paper. It's only happened to me a couple of times that I've had a larger tax declared than the trust distribution. (That's right these are not dividends). And when you sell, you'll have to figure out the tax basis (after return of capital distributions).

Anybody know if the new rule that requires brokers to track tax basis for clients includes the return of capital distributions from royalty trusts like SDT?

Disclosure: I am long SDT. I plan to add to my position in the next week. If the stock has some crazy upside reaction to the first dividend, I will may sell.
    Aug 1, 2011. 03:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment