David Stafford

View David Stafford's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Triumph Of The Beta Hedges: NRK And CFD [View article]
    Hi, I think that's a really interesting question, thanks for pointing that out there, I wasn't really familiar with CTF. I guess just for the sake of capturing the sort of short(1 or 2 years going forward perhaps) term price increases in the market, I guess it would be fair to say(if the market maintains current trends) that CFD is perhaps a little preferable at the moment. But I think that raises a really interesting question of whether or not the sort of "isolated" beta is best represented by a sort of volatility hedged position, or by a long play perhaps, and which is ideal as a hedge, the directional play per se, or the "isolated" beta its self.

Given the sort of consistently upward movement of the stock market up to now and perhaps going forward a few years I feel like (in Monday-morning quarter-back mode) that CFD is perhaps possessing more upwards potential at least for the 1-2 year phase ahead. However, it seems as though if one were just to look at CFD for its sort of "beta" alone, as though from a sort of detached non-yield chasing perspective, that CTF would be the sort of a better representation perhaps of the "beta" in question per se.

Hence, perhaps, CTF is better for a market "environment" that is more stable than that which we currently may have per se. One with a more sort of stable predictable interest rate environment, and a more stable world economy per se in general.

Hence perhaps intellectually speaking, CTF may be the better "preserver" of wealth, from an intellectual perspective. At the moment though, given that there's a sort of opportunity cost to owning it in a constantly rising market, that is larger than just the long version of a commodity beta hedge, I hence believe CFD may be marginally better performing in the short term per se. I think that's a really excellent question though, and sort of perhaps maybe begs the question of whether a beta its self is an ideal hedge, or whether an acutely vectored, or directional beta, is perhaps more ideal. I wonder if perhaps the market conditions in general really are sort of that which determine the correct answer to that question, but either way, really a great question, thanks again.
    Sep 15, 2014. 01:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Interesting Look Into The Past; Google Newspaper Search [View instapost]
    Ah ) , nice find.
    Aug 4, 2014. 06:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Considering The Fertile Future Of Gladstone Land [View article]
    Hi guys, thanks very much for the comments. I feel like I've learned something just from reading them. Yeah the immediate yield in regards to price or dividends could be a touch tricky at the moment depending on time-frame or other factors, and yes also its too bad some potentially interesting agricultural investments could be behind the lock and key per se of that sort of specialized investment situation. Thanks too for mentioning VFFIF, I was not familiar with that stock per se, looks cool and sounds tasty. Thanks again for all the cool comments.
    Mar 11, 2014. 10:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Friday Snapshot, [View instapost]
    Hi, thanks for the comment, there is a lot of insider buying at the moment, however, it may be a little "tricky" to use that "metric" per se, right at this particular period of the year, for as I'm sure you'll notice from the following data(address at the bottom of comment), going back over the past 3 years, on Feb. 11, 12, 22, 26, and 28, there appears to be clusters of insider buying in general at this organization, and hence this most recent insider buying may not necessarily be a reflection of insider sentiment, at this particular moment in time, and may instead be a reflection of vesting policies, or just non-market oriented trends within the company its self per se, all things considered though, always a good thing to look for.

Source; http://yhoo.it/1fjIYXu
    Feb 22, 2014. 03:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Croatia Enters The Eurozone; Time To Start Investing In Eastern Europe?(GUR) [View instapost]
    Here's a modern perspective on this region with national boundaries etc; http://bit.ly/17RgYar ,
    Jul 2, 2013. 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Lone Buoy, Flopping Around In The Tide.(OTT) [View instapost]
    Hi, that's a great question man. I guess it hinges on whether or not, one believes ye old Ott will come back after this kind of blow to its earnings forecasts for the next couple of years.

Perhaps since it still has earnings forecasts per se, this might still be a decent time to buy. Almost reminiscent of the Windsor fund buying Citi near its bottom(somewhat of an exaggeration).

I guess it might be thus a good just like side-dish kind of investment if one wanted to, because perhaps it might rise, and it seems like its gotten quite low already.

Its supposed to make less money in 2013, and more in 2014, so maybey in time it will rise to its old highs, and maybe the market might just kind of carry it higher.

I don't really know so much about Ott, but just from reading its headlines it seems like it still occasionally has some M&A activity and whatnot as of semi-recently.

I guess it would be a sort of investment for a very positive person, who has a lot of faith in the company. But then again, one might not want to lose money just because of negative market- momentum per se. Although that momentum couldn't possibly carry the stock much lower. So I guess its really a sort of specific situation really dependent on the individual investor in question, but I would say to go with one's intuition, because it might yield more truth than forecasts per se.

Thus, it might be wise to give it say a level to rise to, and once its proven its no longer comatose, and is rising again, that it should once again be bought if one has faith in it. That might be a decent strategy for picking it up again.
    Aug 22, 2012. 11:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Molting(MPW) [View instapost]
    Hi Mr. Nouri,

That's a great question. I guess to take a stab at it, I would guess that its a sort of confluence of several factors. To brake it down;

1. Profitable Industry
    According to some, the healthcare Reit industry is, in general the second to most profitable industry in the US after the beverage industry, at least according to the article on this site here;

2. Perspective on high yielding healthcare Reits.
    When one couples that perspective with the knowledge of the average returns from highest yielding healthcare Reits, which could be sampled from this site here; one gets a somewhat clearer picture.

(MPW is the highest yielding healthcare Reit mentioned, with 8% vs on average about 6%)

3. Sector Niche; specific emphasis on "Acute Care"
    When one then couples this with MPW's focus, which is according to them, mostly on "acute care" or hospital care, which is usually quite expensive and hence profitable, the picture becomes seemingly clearer.

Here's the link to their site where they breakdown the composition of their investments;

And, I guess one could conclude, that MPW, being situated in the most profitable sub-sector, of the second to most profitable overall market sector, may allow it to make these sorts of returns, I guess that would have to be my best prognosis per se.

Thanks for the great question.
    Apr 7, 2012. 08:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MPW, The Healthcare Reit Of Many Faces. [View instapost]
    Hi, that's a very good point. The "upcoding" and malnutrition situation, looked like it could have caused some problems for Prime.

"California Watch" seems to have brought this situation to the surface back in 2011.

The torch was then taken up by the CtW group(Change to win)
    Whose members are associated with CtW through unions.

I haven't seen any updates on the situation since 2011

however,

The "search for truth" yielded the following;

CtW hasn't mentioned anything on their blog per se. Nor have they mentioned anything at all on their blog for several years, so I guess one can take that as one wishes.

To see if I could get the down-low I called CtW at

202-721-6060; which is the number for CtW's DC office, there wasn't an answer. It went strait to voice-mail too, so I'm not sure if they use this number really.

Thanks for bringing this up though, I recently started following MPW, and am happy that you shined a lot on this more controversial side of MPW for me.

Thanks.
    Mar 29, 2012. 11:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Strong Outlook for South Africa ETF [View article]
    Hey everybody, thank you very much for the tips and encouragement, very much appreciated, thanks again.
    D