David Trainer

View David Trainer's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 4Q Best & Worst ETFs & Mutual Funds – By Style – Recap [View instapost]
    Qniform:
    Thank you for your comment.
    I am not sure you understand my research. Past performance has little to nothing to do with my ratings.

I so not say that active mgmt is better than passive.

My key point is that higher fees need to be justified by superior management. Details here: http://bit.ly/Uh1z84.

As for your analysis of Lexmark, which I did not verify...it must be based on reports 3+ months old b/c those reports are the only ones you can access.
    Dec 14 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Find The Best Style ETFs [View article]
    SeekingTruth:
    Thank you for your comment. I like your name.
    Dec 14 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Find The Best Style ETFs [View article]
    galicianova - Thank you for your comment. Apologies for the bad link. Here is the correct one: http://bit.ly/SYWtPU
    Dec 14 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Predictive Rating Methodology For ETFs And Mutual Funds [View instapost]
    SeekingTruth:
    Thank you for your comment.
    I like your name
    Dec 14 09:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Find The Best Style ETFs [View article]
    Test
    Dec 13 07:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coach Has Great Management Skills [View article]
    I agree that my target price might be conservative. It has been a good stock in my portfolio as well.
    Dec 13 05:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vera Bradley Struggles To Impress Shareholders [View article]
    I agree with you on COH.
    Dec 13 10:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Cloud Is Good For Western Digital [View article]
    FrankArabia:
    Economic book value: I got the term, concept and basic formula from Al Rappaport. He also calls it the "pre-strategy value".

I think the term "economic" is intuitive as it reflects the cash-based value of the business' assets, especially if you use an adjusted NOPAT as we do. And it is a "book" value in the sense that it represents the no-growth/liquidation value of the current assets without any mgmt guidance/strategy to grow the cash flows.

I could not find the % of revs in SSD, but the company has invested heavily in capacity there.
    Dec 5 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Find The Best Sector ETFs [View article]
    mickelsson - very well put. Never a good idea to blindly trust anything sold on Wall Street. Diligence matters more in tough markets than ever.
    Thank you.
    Dec 3 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Find The Best Sector ETFs [View article]
    Randywatson:
    Thanks for you comment. You are correct: investors should put money in funds with >$100m in AUM - and I say that above in paragraph 12. The main point of this article is to emphasize the importance of analyzing ETF holdings. It is a bit of a shame that many of the best ETFs, according to the quality of their holdings, have so little in assets.

Also, I point out exactly where readers can find alternatives to the low-asset ETFs.
    Dec 1 04:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wendy's: Great Fast Food, Bad Investment [View article]
    Nice work. Agreed WEN is a value destroyer. Their returns on invested capital (ROIC) at 4% are no where near MCD at 18%. MCD is the dominant business in this segment. MCD's combination of scale and profitability puts them in a very strong competitive position. And the valuation is very attractive. WEN doesn't stand a chance, in my opinion.
    Nov 28 02:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Dig Into McDonald's [View article]
    Jabbertherapy:
    Thank you for your comment.
    Have you been in a McDonald's store recently?
    Their offer many "healthy" alternatives for food and drink.
    Plus the quality of their offerings is always top-notch compared to all other fast food vendors.

I am not advocating people eat fast food any more than I advocate smoking when I write on MO or PM.

The bottom line is that people are going to eat fast food (and use tobacco and drink alcohol and buy gas etc).
    Owning businesses that services those demands makes sense when the stock is cheap enough and the business is well-run enough.
    Nov 26 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Catching A Rising Dividend And Long-Term Gains [View article]
    Bret:
    Nice work. Thanks for the link to my article.
    Nov 26 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Dig Into McDonald's [View article]
    Buyandhold 2012:
    You may be waiting for a while. I am trying to be opportunistic as I add to my position as well, but I have a hard time seeing the stock slide much lower considering the relatively few pure value plays like MCD.
    Nov 20 11:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sector Rankings For ETFs And Mutual Funds [View article]
    ramsadagopan -
    Great question. We are working on that, but it will be a while.
    In the meantime, you can access all my reports and prior ratings on the sectors here: http://bit.ly/qkkoW7
    Nov 20 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment