David Tristan Liu

View David Tristan Liu's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Outerwall, Inc: An Attractive Out Of Favor Business [View article]
    Thanks! And no harm done!
    Aug 21 02:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall, Inc: An Attractive Out Of Favor Business [View article]
    As a college student, I have no net worth and my portfolio is small haha. For this particular investment, I'm really attracted to the risk reward profile. If my thesis is completely wrong, the company is worth around $37. If I'm right, the company is worth $130. If ecoAtm scales more impressively than what I expect, its worth even more.
    Aug 20 02:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall, Inc: An Attractive Out Of Favor Business [View article]
    Thank you for your question. Are you referring to the deal Netflix and Disney signed in late 2012? For those who aren't aware, the deal allows Netflix users to see recently released Disney movies in their Watch Instantly queue starting in 2016. Here is a link to the details: http://on.wsj.com/1lhYx6b

This definitely reduces Redbox's attractiveness, but Redbox isn't entirely dependent on Disney. Beginning in 2016, there may be a drop in rental volumes, but it will only be a one time occurrence. The effects will depend on how many people have Netflix, as well as how many people would rather view it on Blu-ray vs streaming. If more studios commit to an agreement with Netflix similar to Disney's, then that would deteriorate Redbox's value proposition. But, its unlikely they will.
    Aug 20 02:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall, Inc: An Attractive Out Of Favor Business [View article]
    Thanks for your kind words and ROLL TIDE!
    Aug 20 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall, Inc: An Attractive Out Of Favor Business [View article]
    Thanks for the added information.
    Aug 13 08:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • World Wrestling Entertainment: Why Investors Should Stay Away [View article]
    All,

I wanted to provide a quick update on WWE. First, WWE sent me an email yesterday informing me of the Network's new payment option: "No Commitment, Cancel Anytime!". Screams desperate to me...

Secondly, the company has been going on a firing spree. The first occurred on June 19 and the second on August 1.

Finally, Alberto Del Rio was recently fired for "unprofessional conduct". The details are only speculative at this point, but according to Wrestling Observer, Del Rio slapped a Web producer backstage after the producer allegedly made a racist joke about him. Here is the quote by Wrestling Observer:

“Based on sketchy stories and what wrestlers have been talking about, at catering, somebody asked [Web producer] to clean off his plate. The person joked something along the lines of how that’s Del Rio’s job. Del Rio found out and confronted him. As the story goes, he didn’t apologize and then smiled at him, and Del Rio slapped him.”

Here is a link to an article detailing the altercation:

Aug 13 08:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall, Inc: An Attractive Out Of Favor Business [View article]
    Actually, I am now long OUTR. At the time I submitted this article (Sunday), the market wasn't open. On Monday, I liquidated a large portion of my portfolio and bought a stake in the company. Currently, OUTR occupies roughly 10% of my portfolio.
    Aug 13 07:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall, Inc: An Attractive Out Of Favor Business [View article]
    Thanks for your kind words and pointing out the mistake! I've never been a good speller.
    Aug 13 07:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall, Inc: An Attractive Out Of Favor Business [View article]
    Thanks for your kind words and pointing out a mistake, I will correct it promptly!
    Aug 13 07:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall, Inc: An Attractive Out Of Favor Business [View article]
    Thanks for your kind words msapp!
    Aug 13 07:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outerwall, Inc: An Attractive Out Of Favor Business [View article]
    sid18, thank you for your comment

Redbox allows its user to return rentals at any Redbox kiosk, not just its original location. The more locations in any given area = more options for consumers to conveniently return rentals instead of holding it and waiting to return the disk at their earliest convenience. For example, there are 2 Redbox locations near me. One close to my apartment, the other close to my campus. If I go onto campus and I rent a movie, I can watch it that same day and return it back to kiosk closest to me than same night, rather than waiting another day to get onto campus.
    Aug 13 07:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • World Wrestling Entertainment: Why Investors Should Stay Away [View article]
    Michael, I didn't have access to cable for the past 2 months so I haven't been able to follow up. From what I've heard from my roommate (who is a bigger wrestling fan than me) story lines are improving. However, recently occurring promotional events for the WWE Network indicate desperation for numbers. They offered a one week, no credit card needed free trial for the network and more damning, I received an email from WWE offering a $25 dollar WWEShop gift card with a subscription to the Network.
    Aug 1 12:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • World Wrestling Entertainment: Why Investors Should Stay Away [View article]
    Am I not allowed to branch out?
    Jul 5 09:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • World Wrestling Entertainment: Why Investors Should Stay Away [View article]
    Thanks for your insight, I mostly agree with all your points, especially the point about the cyclical nature of the industry. I don't however agree with the point about "discrepancy between reality and perception". While Foley makes a valid argument, the backstage political antics of Triple H have been criticized by those in the industry.
    Jun 6 02:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • World Wrestling Entertainment: Why Investors Should Stay Away [View article]
    Absolutely.

I think the WWE Network may do better than expected in Europe. The massive fan base in Europe certainly supports the notion.
    Jun 3 02:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment