View as an RSS Feed
View David Van Knapp's Articles BY TICKER:
Dividends Matter If They Matter To You
- Recent articles have debated whether dividends matter during accumulation or retirement.
- Some articles state that dividends don't matter, while others state that they do.
- "Do dividends matter" is the wrong question. The correct question is "Do dividends matter to you?"
Frothy Market, Impending Correction - What's A Dividend Growth Investor To Do?
- SA's new Performance statistics are short term in nature.
- Short-term statistics may be of little relevance to investors using long-term strategies.
- If you are a long-term dividend growth investor, you may view an impending correction as a short-term event holding little interest for you, and certainly not as something to be feared.
You Are Responsible For Your Investing Decisions
- Individual investors are responsible for their own choices.
- Many financial firms sell products. As an individual investor, you are responsible for due diligence on anything you might consider buying.
- Own your due diligence process and the results that flow from the decisions you make.
Realty Income's Business Model Is Similar To Mine As A Dividend Growth Investor
- Realty Income's business model is similar to my own business model as a dividend growth investor.
- Our central goal is the generation of an increasing stream of cash dividends.
- We use similar methods to achieve our goals. Each step is described.
My Dividend Growth Portfolio's 6th Birthday Report
- This Dividend Growth Portfolio was created six years ago to demonstrate dividend growth investing.
- The portfolio has a long-term income goal - to generate 10% yield on cost within 10 years. Through six years, the portfolio is on pace to meet that goal.
- Strategies, practices, and specific portfolio moves are discussed, along with total return and lessons learned.
Why Selling A Few Shares Is Not The Same As Getting A Dividend
Thu, May. 8 • 1002 Comments
- It is commonly stated that one can create his own dividend by selling a few shares.
- Likewise, it is said that receiving a dividend is the same as lowering your investment in the company that sent it.
- Both notions are false.
Are Any High Quality Companies Decently Valued At The Moment?
- In an earlier article, 24 stocks were identified as being "high quality" using five evaluation methods.
- A reader asked if any of them are fairly valued.
- The valuation of all 24 stocks is estimated using common tools.
- Some of the companies are, indeed, undervalued or fairly valued right now.
What Is 'Quality' In A Stock?
- There are many concepts of what represents quality in a stock.
- Five methods are discussed for determining quality.
- One stock passes all five methods.
Dividend Growth Portfolio: Spring Checkup And Semi-Annual Review
- Dividend Growth Portfolio (DGP) is a real portfolio, funded by the author, designed to demonstrate dividend growth investing.
- The main goal of the portfolio is to generate growing dividends from excellent companies that raise their dividends regularly.
- The portfolio has a long-term outlook, and it is managed in a way that tries to ignore short-term market noise.
- Going on 6 years old, the DGP is on track to meet its long-range goals.
Periodic Table Of Dividend Contenders
- Dividend Contenders are companies that have paid higher dividends for 10 to 24 straight years.
- The Periodic Table ranks the Contenders by yield and dividend growth rate (DGR).
- Of 222 Contenders, 114 have yields greater than 2.0% and/or attractive DGRs.
Periodic Table Of Dividend Champions
- The Periodic Table ranks Dividend Champions by yield and dividend growth rate.
- Of 105 Champions, 36 have yields greater than 2% and/or attractive dividend growth rates.
- A few of the 36 have announced dividend increases for 2014 that are significantly below their 3-year rates.
Why Aren't The Dividend Aristocrats And Dividend Champions The Same?
- Both the Dividend Champions and Dividend Aristocrats cover stocks with 25 or more consecutive years of dividend increases.
- But there are significant differences between the two compilations. It is noteworthy that 55 Dividend Champions are not members of the Aristocrats.
- Most of the differences can be explained by whether a stock is a member of the S&P 500.
The Positive Psychology Of Dividend Growth Investing
- Many investors sabotage themselves with poorly timed trading.
- Investment media push individuals in the direction of trading more, not less.
- Dividend growth investing draws attention to growing dividends and can help reduce the temptation to over-trade.
How You Can Invest Like Warren Buffett
- Warren Buffett's recent letter to shareholders presents several investing principles that most individual investors can use.
- Some of the most important principles are to see yourself as a capital allocator, look for wonderful companies, and always consider the price compared to value.
- Run your investing like a business, because that is what it is.
- Are VYM And SDY Good Dividend Growth Investments?
- These 6 Stocks Made The 'Top 40 Dividend Growth Stocks' For 7 Straight Years
- A Dividend Growth Investor Looks At AAII's Stock Screens
- Dividend Growth Investing: Myths 16-20
- Snowball Down A Hill: My Dividend Growth Portfolio 2013-2014 Report
- Dave Van Knapp Positions For 2014: The Best Dividend Growth Stocks Will Pay Out More This Year
- Is It [Low D]?
- Can You Uncouple Your Investment Success From Mr. Market?
- Stop The Presses: Academics Confirm That Buffett's Success Is No Mystery
Why Low Beta Stocks Are Like Bonds For Dividend Growth Investors
Oct. 29, 2013 • 229 Comments
Bogle On Favoring Dividends And Capitalizing Social Security
Editors' Pick • Oct. 25, 2013 • 278 Comments
- Which Popular Dividend Growth Stocks Are 'Always' Undervalued?
- Which Popular Dividend Growth Stocks Are 'Always' Overvalued?
10 By 15: What Happens With Low-Yield High-DGR Stocks
Oct. 1, 2013 • 105 Comments
- Dividend Growth Portfolio: Semi-Annual Review
Pyramid Of Success For Dividend Growth Investing
Sep. 16, 2013 • 47 Comments
- High DGR Dividend Growth Challengers
- Considering High-DGR Dividend Growth Stocks