Davis Freeberg

View Davis Freeberg's Comments BY TICKER:
  • EA Sports Disappoints With 'Watered-Down' Games [View article]
    Rental is probably a better option, but I hate renting something that I know I'll want to be playing 6 months later. For the most part, the sports games have been good, but EA's strategy with the Xbox 360 baffles me. You'd think you just want to put out the best games possible and sell them like crazy. I think part of the problem is the size of the investment that goes into creating a new game vs. reselling planned obsolescence.
    May 22 07:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Should Integrate User Feedback In Search Optimization [View article]
    Sorry Brian, but I disagree, I am very aware of the NY Times strategy with about. About.com wasn't as prevalent on Google until the NY Times started deep linking to them. Once they used their killer page rank to boost up their content, it was only a matter of time before they started showing up too much in Google. Corporations use SEO too. It was smart move by the Times, because they were able to generate more visitors with minimal expenses. Some people like the site and that is ok, but when all of my About.com search results featured popups and weak content, it's not the sort of resource for me. Other's may feel differently, but if someone actually took the time to write a Greasemonkey script just to strip out About.com listings from Google, it speaks loudly about how irritating the site can be.
    May 22 07:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney Walks The Line Between Direct Online Selling and Working With Partners [View article]
    When you consider that Netflix is shipping out 1.5 million movies a day, 2 million movies sounds really pathethic. The studios need to ditch the DRM, increase the availability and quit requiring that you have to download the movie, when you really just want to watch it right away.
    May 9 05:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix's Problems Keep Biting It In the Worst Way [View article]
    It's hard to take this article very seriously. How long will the cash reserves last? I can't believe that you can even ask this question. On the conference call, Barry McCarthy said that they had north of $400 million in cash and would have $500 million (without) a buy back by the end of the year. This is why they are using their cash reserves to buyback their own stock. I don't think a little bit of negative cash flow is going to impact Netflix's operations, the real issue that investors should be focusing on is the weak subscriber growth.
    Apr 18 12:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sad Truth for Answers Corporation Bulls [View article]
    I think that you pretty much nailed this one. A very well written piece. There are a few parts where it seems like you go a bit too far, but you do a good job of addressing both the positive and negative developments. Great piece with good critical thought, you raise some very important points.
    Mar 27 10:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Long Case for Answers Corporation [View article]
    I'm not so sure about this long article. ANSW only had about $3 million in revenue over the last 12 months, yet they already trade at over $100 million. I'm not seeing where the value lies. Furthermore, you don't reference where you are getting EPS estimates from. YHOO Finance says there is only one analyst covering the stock and I don't see any profits or any bullishness by the analyst to indicate that there will be profits in the next year. From the growth that they have seen, I would suspect that more of it is being driven by Google hits, then anything else. It doesn't make their hits illegitmate, but it does put the company at serious risk, if Google reclassifies the site and pushes the links to the bottom. For a site that relies pretty heavily on automated content, it surprises me to see their SG&A and their R&D as high as it is. If you could better explain how/why you think that they will get growth it would strengthen your argument, but it's hard to take ANSW seriously when TSCM is trading just $210 million higher and they have a lot more authority then this penny stock.
    Mar 26 09:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brouhaha Over the Booyah: Timing Reveals All [View article]
    I don't think that it's the market's sentiment that brought this video to light, it was the YouTubers getting ahold of it and unveiling it to the rest of the world by voting it up and getting into key places on the site. Once it hit the top rated and view lists it was inevitable that people would see this. Had it been uploaded to YouTube last December the response would have been just as strong.
    Mar 23 12:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • TiVo: No Longer Hot [View article]
    It's easy to kick a dog when he's down, but much more difficult to buy when everybody believes things are getting worse. It's no longer a question of whether or not TiVo is hot, it comes down to valuation and that is where I think the street is getting this wrong. TiVo's growth numbers were weak, but anyone who didn't already know that this would be the case has no business owning this stock. It's one thing to say that you don't like TiVo's business, but quite another to assign a number to that. I'd rather see more posts focusing on actual valuation, then to just jump on the TiVo bashing bandwagon. Does slowly growth really matter all that much, when TiVo is already priced like a value stock?
    Mar 9 10:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • TheStreet.com: An Undervalued 'Boo-Yeah!' [View article]
    Interesting article. You may be right, but the Street isn't exactly printing money right now either. $325 million is a pretty small market cap, but last year TSCM only brought in $46 million in revenue. Even with 20% earnings growth, that's still a pretty small number at the end of the day. If their business was more scalable, I'd be more excited about this opportunity, but the larger Cramer's media empire gets, the higher the cost of revenue will get and that will impact their profit margins directly. Cramer may have won the hearts of traders on Wall St., but right now the street is a one trick pony and without more diversification and better revenue drivers behind the company, it's hard for me to get on board this company when there are so many more attractive opportunities that exist.
    Feb 22 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Play for Coinstar [View article]
    It would never work. There are laws against destroying currency and it would cost the government too much to replace them. I didn't think Q1 was really all that weak. CSTR is in a great position, I'm not sure how Icahn could do anything, but screw things up if he got there. As long as they keep buying back stock and producing on the earnings front, I think investors will be happy to let management continue the good job they are doing.
    Feb 20 08:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CES Brings Internet Capabilities to TV [View article]
    That's because you are an Apple fanboy Tom. Normal people won't be buying Apple TV. How is the Apple Dongle even slightly better then Netgear's fully function HDTV PVR that supports, DivX, Amazon, iTunes, WMV, & just about every other codec you can come up with? It's not. Given the lack of titles that iTunes has, I would never lock myself into their media universe when there is so much content out there. Consumers are much better going with something where they can get YouTube and iTunes onto their home theater systems. Steve Jobs really dropped the ball on this product. He could have made it awesome, but went mediocre just so that he can try and maintain a monopoly on the content that you can play with Apple products. In the long run Apple's proprietary nature will very much work against the company.
    Jan 11 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Introducing The iPhone... From Cisco [View article]
    That sure is one ugly phone. I bet Steve Jobs is fuming right now.
    Dec 18 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High School Math 101: iTunes Sales Not Collapsing [View article]
    I think to say that Apple is bringing in a billion in revenue mischaracterizing the real success or failure of the iTunes music store. The truth is that they immedietely give a large chunk of that billion dollars to the media companies for the content and by the time they pay their bandwidth bill are left with 15 cents on the dollar. While adding 150 million in net income to the bottom line is certainly not a failure, when you look at it in the context of the 2 billion in net income that Apple brings in, it's really not all that significant. I've heard a lot of people talk about Apple as a media powerhouse, but this really isn't all that impressive given the number of iPods that they've sold. Deep down inside, they will always be a gadget company, iTunes exists so that they can make their bread and butter by selling high margin iPods. The question in my mind is whether the success of their iPod is really all that sustainable. We've seen fads come and go and while there is no doubt Apple will sell these babies like hotcakes this holiday season, if you would have look at this market twenty years ago you would have said that Sony's Walkman was going to dominate forever. In the end, $150 million in revenue is impressive and what the strategic relationship contributes to gadget sales is important, but deep down inside Apple will always have to keep selling hardware and I doubt that iTunes will ever turn out to be the annuity stream that many investors think that it will be. Considering that the cable companies make twice as much in one month, that iTunes makes over the life of an iPod owner, I'd question how you are defining success and failure for this business model.
    Dec 12 10:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No Growth In Digital Music Sales? [View article]
    It would be interesting to see this same graph only for the sale of CDs instead of digital files. Somehow I doubt that people are shifiting back to discs, which really makes you wonder why there would be a drop in demand.
    Dec 7 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • TiVo's Infamous Banned Ad Revealed [View article]
    I got a good chuckle out of it. The irony is that TiVo would never have been able to go public if the networks hadn't invested so heavily in their stock. They got hit twice by TiVo, once in the .com burst and now as ad money is moving away from the 30 second spots.
    Dec 6 08:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment