Demetri Mallios

View Demetri Mallios' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Amarantus' LymPro Could Be A Game-Changer For Alzheimer's Diagnosis [View article]
    Thanks for all the hard work. It's nice to see a reputable author giving a company like AMBS the attention it deserves. I feel that the market is severely undervaluing this opportunity, and I'm excited to see how the next 6-18 months progress. As a poor student, I really like the opportunity for bigtime return from a minimal investment, and I do feel that LymPro will be a success. There are companies w/ a market cap 10X the size of Amarantus' that would kill to have something like LymPro or NuroPro in their pipelines.
    Apr 17, 2013. 11:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cyclacel Settles With Celgene, Sacrifices Small Gains For Bigger Interests [View article]
    Interesting spin on what many believe was a complete failure on the magagement's part. One thing's for sure...if the MDS data is good, all will be forgiven.
    Apr 4, 2013. 10:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Contrarian View: Let's Not Put All Our Money On Lorcaserin Just Yet [View article]
    Interesting article, but I find your comparison between Belviq and Fenfluramine to be quite misleading. It is now known that Fenfluramine induced valvular heart disease via stimulation of the 5HT2B receptor in valvular tissue. Fortunately, Belviq is 100x more selective for the 5HT2C receptor than the 5HT2B receptor, which basically limits Belviq's action to central 5HT2C receptors. While Fenfluramine worked at the same central 5HT2C receptors, its secondary action on peripheral 5HT2B receptors is what caused problems.
    Dec 7, 2012. 01:15 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ImmunoCellular Shares Near Lows Offer A Speculative Oncology Play [View article]
    Nice article. As an IMUC long, I'm encouraged by the company's appointment of Mr. Gengos and I look forward to Q1/2013 for an update on phase IIb trials. ICT-107's unique mechanism of action (targeting CSCs) puts it in a better position than NWBO's DCvax, in my opinion. The next few months should be exciting for shareholders
    Dec 4, 2012. 07:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Is Bright For Arena Pharmaceuticals [View article]
    Truth, phemale. Cramer was wrong on both of these, and I think people put way too much stock (no pun intended) into his picks and what he has to say. I'm very hesitant to follow his calls because of his hedge fund background.
    Dec 4, 2012. 07:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Arena Opening New Doors [View article]
    Nice article. As an ARNA long, I'm encouraged by their commitment to temanogrel, as well as their focus in moving forward with ADP811. As I've said before, I think they have a lot of good things going for them at ARNA, and it's not by accident. Jack Lief and his team are top notch, and I see this as a great long-term investment. VVUS can be successful, but not to the degree that ARNA may enjoy. Belviq affords a lot of latitude for development of combination therapies and expansion to ROW, whereas Qsymia doesn't seem to be as versatile a drug.
    Nov 30, 2012. 12:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ImmunoCellular Therapeutics: An Opportunity For Great Upside Potential [View article]
    Actually, PBT2 (PRAN's leading agent for Alzheimer's) is a derivative of clioquionol, which acts as a chelator of copper and zinc. Both zinc and copper are transition metals that fall under the loose designation of "heavy metal." Moreover, they are both requisite to the normal function of the human body. In excess, however, they can be harmful (see Wilson's disease).
    Nov 29, 2012. 04:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Is Bright For Arena Pharmaceuticals [View article]
    Thanks for reading. This is one of the most cogent responses I've seen to any article about ARNA or VVUS. There are pros and cons associated with each company...mistakes and flashes of brilliance. I do agree that VVUS' big mistake was "going it alone." I prefer ARNA at this point, but I wouldn't dare short either company at these prices.
    Nov 29, 2012. 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Is Bright For Arena Pharmaceuticals [View article]
    See andybaron's comment above. There seems to be a dispute as to whether or not this is actually an element of the Qsymia REMS. If these marketing restrictions are true (as my research suggests), then I do feel that this is Vivus' biggest hurdle. If not, concerns over safety (esp birth defects -- many women of child-bearing age are overweight or obese) will be Vivus' biggest hurdle.
    Nov 27, 2012. 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Is Bright For Arena Pharmaceuticals [View article]
    To be honest, I completely agree with you guys that having to use a mail-order pharmacy isn't all that big of a problem; however, a quick internet search will show you that a fair number of people are hesitant to use mail-order pharmacies (especially the older generation). Among other things, drug authenticity and customer service seem to be big concerns.
    Nov 27, 2012. 10:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Is Bright For Arena Pharmaceuticals [View article]
    Assuming what you say is true, it's an important point. In previous months, I've read several different articles and posts that discussed advertising restrictions for Vivus. However, I now can't find any sources that explicitly mention Vivus' freedom to advertise (or lack thereof). As such, I was under the impression that advertisment restrictions did in fact materialize. If you have any links that discuss the issue, please post them. Thanks for your insight and thanks for reading!
    Nov 26, 2012. 10:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Is Bright For Arena Pharmaceuticals [View article]
    Thanks for reading. I'm very excited to see what happens in coming months.
    Nov 26, 2012. 09:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Is Bright For Arena Pharmaceuticals [View article]
    Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. As I said above, I don't believe that the difference in efficacy between the two drugs is the most important factor when picking a "winner." In my opinion, the opportunities that Belviq presents for combination therapies, along with possibilities for expansion throughout the world (explicitly discussed by Arena in the Credit Suisse Conference) justify the disparity in market caps. We will see what happens moving forward. Timportant thing is that there are at least two new pharmacological treatments for obese patients...they are the real winners at this point.
    Nov 26, 2012. 09:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for reading. As I said below, my primary aim in this piece was to highlight IMUC's value (in my opinion) at the current PPS. I may write a piece comparing IMUC to NWBO in the future.
    Nov 22, 2012. 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comment. I looked into PRAN a bit, and it's a very interesting company. While I'm not an expert in the field of neurodegenerative disorders, I do know that inflammation is believed to play an important role. That being said, if heavy metal deposition is the true cause of the inflammation (at this point, nobody knows if that's true or not), then a heavy metal chelator (ie, the products in PRAN's pipeline) would be very effective.

Take a look at your inbox. I've sent you a review article I wrote about inflammatory mechanisms in Parkinson's, and I think it drives home the importance of controlling inflammation in neurodegenerative diseases.
    Nov 21, 2012. 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment