Dennis McCain

View Dennis McCain's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Breitburn Energy Gets A White Knight, But Again Slashes Distribution Rate [View article]
    BBEP management probably did the only thing they could do but whether it's the correct thing, only time will tell. They've allowed EIG to dictate the terms, take preferred dividends, and cut the common dividend in half with the possibility of further cuts if oil continues to drop (here comes the Iranian oil online). I think the article's analysis is right - wait because the stock is about to fall again. And then maybe again.
    Mar 30, 2015. 11:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Digital Realty - A REIT With High Yield And High Growth Opportunities [View article]
    You forgot to factor in Moore's Law. It's the opposing force to expanding storage requirements.
    Respectfully,
    Dennis McCain
    Feb 2, 2015. 10:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Archer Daniels Midland - Shareholders Can Expect Bigger Pay Raises [View article]
    R2R…

Nice article. ADM has been a good addition to my portfolio as I continue to add to my position. As long as people keeping eating, I'll continue to buy this stock.

Respectfully,
    Dennis McCain
    dennismccain.weebly.com
    Dec 10, 2014. 10:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Big Oil Under Serious Threat [View article]
    Articles about oil companies in decline always end up getting a lot of page views so I congratulate you on picking this topic to write an article about. What I would like to point out is that your premise that "Oil and Gas" companies are simply oil and gas companies is probably a mistake and therefore your conclusion that they are in decline is in error. What you call "Oil and Gas" companies are really Energy companies. If oil and gas fail in the future these companies will simply switch production to any form of energy that consumers will buy. They're very agnostic. They'll sell solar power, wind power, or even the shifting of the ocean waves if that's what produces a cost effective source of power. I look for these companies and their management to grow and thrive for decades to come. Good Luck and Good Trading. And congratulations on the page views.
    May 10, 2014. 09:30 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Horizon Technology Finance Will Make You An Insider [View article]
    I agree. I'm not buying any more of this stock but I'm not selling any either. I still like the dividend and will continue to hold if only for that reason. BDCReporter.com has a slightly different take on this situation. According to them the drop in NAV is justified but it's based on loans to a particular industry that they haven't made a loan to in 18 months. They're not operating in that area again so going forward if you believe in the management of Horizon Technology Finance then you believe in the furture of the company. This is a small company doing risky business in an area that others simply don't tread. There will be losses from time to time and that's the justification for the high dividend. I agree with BDCReporter and I'll continue to hold the shares I own. I'm just skeptical enough not to buy anymore. At least for now. Good Luck and Good Trading.
    Mar 13, 2014. 03:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crocs Incorporation: An Arduous Ascent [View article]
    It would be nice if you were right about CROX because I'd like to get rid of the stock I've been trapped into for quite some time. I believe the P/E ratio on CROX is lower than the others because the company is an underperformer, not because it's undervalued. Crocs were a fashion statement at one time and unfortunately fashion moved on a long time ago. Unless they significantly revamp their product line (unlikely) they're simply selling into a very small market. I think you can see that simply by looking at the stock chart. But if somehow your analysis drives the stock above the price that I bought it for, I'll be forever grateful. Good Luck and Good Trading.
    Feb 6, 2014. 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Exit Exxon And Chevron Stock [View article]
    Sir... Thank you so very much. You're much too kind. I'm really no different than everyone else except that maybe I can read charts a little better than others. In the end, I'm just trying to improve my ability to perfect the trade and make a few dollars at the same time. I wish you the best in your trading.

By the way, I bought Apple earlier this week. I think with it's recent fall and it's improving dividend, it may just be a great value stock now. Wish me luck.
    Feb 5, 2014. 01:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Exit Exxon And Chevron Stock [View article]
    This list of comments is getting too long to follow all of them, but on 2 Feb I added this comment to another individual's post asking a very similar question. Hope this helps. Please remember this is not advice, simply my personal opinion.

"As I look at the charts here is where a person with my style of investing is getting back in. I really don't have a crystal ball and I never predict where a stock is going, I simply read charts. Looking at the charts of both of these stocks, they're both oversold at this point (CVX at 111 and XOM at 92), but Exxon may go just slightly lower. Anywhere in here is a good entry point. I don't try to time the exact tops and bottoms, I just look for overbought and oversold. I wish everyone well and hope their trading is successful. We're all just trying to make a few bucks."
    Feb 4, 2014. 10:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen Stock Is Overvalued And It's Time To Take Profits [View article]
    My sincere sympathy for those who held on to their Walgreen stock for the dividend alone. Fortunately this is a great company and it will eventually come back. I still think there is more to go on the downside but the stock is now moving into oversold territory. Good Luck and Good Trading.
    Feb 3, 2014. 03:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Exit Exxon And Chevron Stock [View article]
    Feb 2, 2014. 09:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Exit Exxon And Chevron Stock [View article]
    My sincere sympathy for those who held on to XOM and CVX for the dividend alone. Fortunately these are great companies and they will eventually come back. Good Luck and Good Trading.
    Jan 31, 2014. 10:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen Stock Is Overvalued And It's Time To Take Profits [View article]
    Thank you for your comment. Now I know there is at least one other person that understands and agrees with my investing philosophy. I have been getting comments alluding that I am a heretic for simply suggesting that a dividend growth investor could ever think of selling a dividend paying stock. I use fundamental analysis to determine which stocks to buy and I use technical analysis to determine when they're overbought and oversold. I would prefer to buy stocks and never sell them but not all stocks perform appropriately. When stocks don't behave, hope is not a plan. Best wishes. Good Luck and Good Trading.
    Respectfully, Dennis McCain
    Jan 30, 2014. 02:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen Stock Is Overvalued And It's Time To Take Profits [View article]
    Walgreen has fallen from a recent high of over $61 and has fallen from a stock price of $59.19 to $57.23 since I wrote this article just one week ago. That represents of loss of $1.96 or 3.31% in this same time period. With a dividend distribution of $1.18 it would take 1.66 years of dividends just to recoup the loss in the stock's price. An investor may take comfort in the fact that his dividends are increasing over time, but the total return on his portfolio is heading south rather quickly. This is not the kind of investing that I am interested in.

As a dividend growth investor I use the same parameters that other DGI use for selecting great companies that increase their dividends year after year. Where I differ with other DGI investors is that I monitor both the stock price and the dividend of each company I own. I recommend doing this at least quarterly. DGI allows investors to find great entry points into companies but they often forget that sometimes stocks can become overvalued as well as undervalued. And when they are, it's prudent to reduce your exposure to overvalued stocks and then reenter later when they become undervalued once again.
    Jan 26, 2014. 02:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Exit Exxon And Chevron Stock [View article]
    While many have disagreed with my analysis of ExxonMobil and Chevron (and I appreciate any and all comments), the fact remains that ExxonMobil has fallen from a recent high of $101.74 to Friday's closing price of $94.85 which is a fall of $6.89 or 6.77%. Chevron has fallen from a recent high of $125.65 to Friday's closing price of $116.29 which is a fall of $9.36 or 7.45%.

For holders of ExxonMobil stock it would take 2.8 years of dividends to make up for that loss and for holders of Chevron it would take 2.4 years. This is not the kind of investing that makes sense to me. As a dividend growth investor I use many of the same parameters that DGI use to find and acquire stocks, but I don't blindly hold stocks year after year after year. All stocks are neither inherently good or inherently bad. They must be monitored at least quarterly to assess if they merit your continuing to hold them. And sometimes it's better to reduce your holdings when they become overvalued and increase your holdings when they become undervalued.

Another stock that I believe is overvalued is WAG. You can see my analysis in another Seeking Alpha article at http://bit.ly/1e0m3j6 and I hope you will consider reading that article also.
    Jan 26, 2014. 01:38 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen Stock Is Overvalued And It's Time To Take Profits [View article]
    I am not an investment advisor and I do not provide advice to anyone on what to do with their money in the markets, but here's what I do when I'm looking at stocks that I think will NOT appreciate in value over the next year or two, which I believe you are alluding to when you say "the S&P500 is overvalued right now". I am an investor that is trying to grow my portfolio by at least 8% per year with minimal drawdown during bad years. That 8% is made up of both dividends and capital gains. For instance, if a stock pays a 2.5% dividend, I expect the stock price to increase by 5.5% that year which totals an 8 percent increase. If I believe that the prices of the stocks that I own won't appreciate in value for a lengthy period of time, I buy stocks where all the growth will come from the dividend. Generally the types of companies that pay high dividends but experience little if any capital appreciation are the Master Limited Partnerships (MLP), the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT), and the Business Development Companies (BDC). A stock that is not rising in value is still better than one that is falling in value. Hope this helps.
    Jan 24, 2014. 01:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment