Derek A. Barrett

View Derek A. Barrett's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple's Spotlight search dumps Google in favor of Bing [View news story]
    Traffic stats say DuckDuckGo serves more than a select few:

Look at their growth trajectory, I'd say it even is making a compelling investment case with this type of growth.
    Jun 3 01:54 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Big shift in Wells Fargo home equity offerings [View news story]
    Thanks for sharing, this will help others.

I'm gonna re-examine my statement to make sure no shenanigans are going on with extra fees. Didn't see any last time but you never know.
    Jun 3 01:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • WSJ: Google to spend up to $3B+ on satellite network [View news story]
    Thanks for calling me pretty :-)

lol
    Jun 2 09:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Big shift in Wells Fargo home equity offerings [View news story]
    What the heck yv, they are charging for that now?? Wow
    Jun 2 09:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Big shift in Wells Fargo home equity offerings [View news story]
    I do an extra payment a year, just divide it in 12 and add spread it across each month.

Good to see that principal dropping more quickly, long term the effect is pretty dramatic.

Not sure what the point of interest-only was, only works when prices are going up, other than that it's just paying extra to rent.
    Jun 2 02:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • WSJ: Google to spend up to $3B+ on satellite network [View news story]
    Sweet can't wait to get data mined from outerspace lol ;-)
    Jun 2 02:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay discloses cyberattack on its system [View news story]
    Probably a good idea since it holds companies accountable and makes them up their game

For example, the #1 rule of encryption is that you're not supposed to go out and do it yourself. You're supposed to used standard encryption because those have been stress tested over time so are more resilient. The standard crypto algorithms are public knowledge but that just makes them stronger, vs. hiding and hoping nobody ever cracks it.
    May 22 01:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beijing Hits Microsoft With Windows 8 Ban [View article]
    The NSA has backdoors into anything they want.
    May 21 02:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay discloses cyberattack on its system [View news story]
    Financial institutions and retailers are under constant attack and are getting hacked all the time, there are so many more incidents that just don't get published.

I'm under the assumption that anything I put online is vulnerable at all times, unfortunately even the best defenses can get breached
    May 21 02:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • "People's Republic of Donetsk" votes on "self-rule" in referendum [View news story]
    My bad, the vote came back, looks like it's only 90% this time, clearly a legit election

What a joke

I have some 2007 MBS to unload while we're at it. They're AAA rated I promise
    May 12 02:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Wonder if the vote is 95% again this time LOL
    May 11 05:20 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Video appears to confirm Apple-Beats; Iovine reportedly set to join Apple [View news story]
    Sure Beats headphones are considered overrated by audiophiles, and have quality issues, but that is besides the point. They make a ton of money and have a huge brand presence, and are a fashion statement. The "cool" factor alone blends in well with Apple's designs. Isn't that what Apple has always been about?

A large number of consumers seem to like these headphones, and on top of that you are getting a streaming service with a personalized algorithm to compete with Pandora. Pandora is the first thing I download whenever I get a new device.

Apple's maps was pretty bad too when it was first released, but it has improved by leaps and bounds, so much so I've ditched Spyware Maps - I mean - Google Maps.

Considering products like the iPhone revolutionized engineering, reliability, and usability standards, it will be interesting to see if Apple also addresses the quality issues here as well.

I personally use Audio-Technicas (and Sennheisers before that), entry level gear, and found the leap up from store brands pretty phenomenal. However, I've spent hours reading the audiophile forums over the years and have come to the conclusion that a lot of users there simply are never satisfied with ANYTHING unless it's a $1,000 set being driven by another $1,000 of hardware.

As far as Dr. Dre having to uphold a bad boy image, that went out the door a decade ago, he's already been partnering with HP for years now.

The guy is a very smart business man and knows where the market is. What he did with his crew of artists was pretty amazing, just look at how much money Eminem and Snoop Dogg pulled in.

The guy is a cultural icon whose work has weaved its way into the fabric of society, on same level as Coca-Cola, Michael Jordan, and yes, the Apple iPhone.

He puts his name on something and it's almost always guaranteed money.
    May 10 02:39 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ethics Issues At IBM: Will It Hurt Earnings? [View article]
    Great post. I seriously wish there was more of a return to the Kaizen / Dr. Deming type of thinking you are talking about.

Dr. Deming said focusing exclusively on key metrics and ratios is a quick way to the bottom, and he was a trained statistician.
    May 4 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ethics Issues At IBM: Will It Hurt Earnings? [View article]
    I guess my question after reading both sides of the article, what happens after 2015?
    May 3 04:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment