Derek Young

View Derek Young's Comments BY TICKER:

Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Amazingly, Yahoo Will Still Do Badly [View article]
    I love that BABA is pricing at $68! Could they have raised more absolutely, but at the cost of sacrificing a strong shareholder base. The really big institutions are the ones getting a slice of this deal. They are not in BABA to flip it but make it a core position in their funds moving forward.

This is a great setup for a strong opening Friday. Unlike Facebook that had a lot of mom and pop investors in the stock to flip it.
    Bottom line is Yahoo is a Baba holding company. As of right now if BABA goes up so does yahoo.

Repost from another article but I thought it fit into this discussion.
    Sep 18, 2014. 12:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boy, Were We Wrong About Yahoo [View article]

Sep 18, 2014. 12:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazingly, Yahoo Will Still Do Badly [View article]
    I played yahoo with options. Buying the 40 Oct call while selling the 45 Oct for a debit around $1.60. The reason I liked this trade because I agree that yahoo could go down slightly or even trade sideways on IPO day, letting me collect a large amount of the volatility premium in the 45 call. With a maximum gain around 2.5 Times my money it has been working for me so far.

Side note I also bought the Oct 55 call as a lottery ticket in case BABA trades over $100 opening day. I fully expect to lose this money but the risk reward of 12x my money was alluring enough for me to buy.
    Sep 17, 2014. 03:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft A Dream Buy Or Sell? [View article]
    The market has left this stock behind. As discussed, Microsoft appears to be dead money. Thank you all for your comments. I hope you enjoyed the article.
    Feb 20, 2013. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft A Dream Buy Or Sell? [View article]
    @skiz
    I must have missed something. It was my understanding that droid was a loss leader for Google. Could you direct me to the press release that Google will now be charging for its software.
    Jan 23, 2013. 12:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft A Dream Buy Or Sell? [View article]
    Around 1% of the stock float is short. I do not think you are going to get the squeeze anytime soon. As I stated in my article I would not short this stock or be long it. If MSFT is becoming an outdated company it will be a slow agonizing trend downward. If management starts to execute I will be long the stock in a heartbeat. Until then I will make money else where.
    Jan 23, 2013. 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft A Dream Buy Or Sell? [View article]
    The question really is did I use PowerPoint?
    Jan 23, 2013. 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft A Dream Buy Or Sell? [View article]
    I think so. He has great power and responsibly. With that he has done many great things. In his open letter writings he is most definitely a thinking man.
    Jan 23, 2013. 11:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft A Dream Buy Or Sell? [View article]
    I agree with you this article is short. I could have spent pages analyzing their finical statements as some authors do. While this approach fits finical institutions I do not think it adds much value here.

To your points about the DEFENSIVE steps they are taking in the market. Xbox is neither here nor there too small to make any material difference to the company. They have had over a decade to monetize that unit. Surface price point is too high for people not living on the coasts. I feel that this will be another Zune a defensive product but does nothing but waste money. Smartphones.... OOO the smartphones we will see if they can steal market share, but again even if they do what is their upside? Droid software is free. If I am a phone manufacture why pay for MSFT software. Unless you think they are going to also get into hardware and start manufacturing. With this managements execution wouldn't that be a site.

MSFT is the Titanic and the iceberg is the changing market. If they hit the iceberg dead on the company will be paying that juicy dividend for many years to come. If MSFT tries to turn, well we all know how that went.
    Jan 23, 2013. 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft A Dream Buy Or Sell? [View article]
    @Freechice4all
    Kodak invented the digital camera. So I guess you could say they didn't miss that move also. Being first is simply not enough you have to gain market share. I also agree with you that MSFT has super deep pockets, but again R&D is not something you can pump a large amount of cash into, over a short period of time and think that is a winning strategy. The stock has a lot of secular and cyclical risks. Management has not shown me that they can execute well to confront these risks.
    Jan 23, 2013. 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Salesforce.com's Net Income Trend Shows Its Real 'Growth' - In Losses [View article]
    This one hit my radar today. This stock has been an easy short every time it got near the $160 range. With it above the range I am simply staying away from this one. Unless we have an outside day, below the triple top formation. I don't see that happening due to the heavy volume today. All the "trapped" shareholders are out of this one and this stock has the fuel to move higher.
    Dec 11, 2012. 04:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Short The Donuts [View article]
    I got burned on this one last earnings. I am not going to revisit till I see cracks after they report.
    Apr 26, 2012. 03:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BHP Billiton Will Surge On Better Margins, Gold Prices [View article]
    You would normally be right, weak economy causes deflation or at least slower rates of inflation. Though the author got this one right. The "great recession" has caused central banks all over the world to have an easy money policy. So getting a touch more technical, the money supply has been increasing while money demanded has at least stayed constant. This causes money worth to fall while hard assets such as gold and silver to rise.
    Apr 16, 2012. 10:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Freeport-McMoRan: A Solid Income Stock In 2012 [View article]
    I just purchased some BHP today and really like the space going forward. That being said, FCX has a beta of 2.3. These stocks are pure and simple capital appreciation machines. Looking for yield in a cyclical stock has been, and always will be a fools game.
    Apr 3, 2012. 04:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Salesforce.com Is An Irrational Investment [View article]
    When I buy a company I always try to find those with huge amounts of goodwill on the balance sheet. For that reason alone CRM is a screaming buy. Also while normal investors like buybacks or dividends I like to be slowly diluted over time by bonuses paid with stock. Its a stock strategy I like to call when the music stops.
    Mar 27, 2012. 01:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment