Devon Shire

View Devon Shire's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Lightstream's CEO Backs Up The Truck And Puts His Money Where His Mouth Is [View article]
    Thanks for the comment.

I think he has been enhancing shareholder value all along by building a land portfolio for the next 30 years.

Unfortunately that is different from doing something that immediately moves the stock price.

I fear the stock price will only slowly move higher as leverage ratios come down. Although if I keep buying shares (which I likely will), that is actually going to be a blessing in the long run.

Dec 23, 2013. 06:26 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Did Warren Buffett Buy Exxon Mobil? His Partner Charlie Munger Reveals All [View article]
    I absolutely agree and that is exactly what I have been doing with a very long term perspective in mind.

Every month I've been buying shares in North American companies that hold dominant land positions in the very few oil horizontal plays that we have.

Over time the value of the land in these plays will increase as oil prices rise and companies figure out how to extract more of the oil in place on their lands. Right now reserve bookings for these companies assume 5% recovery factors. Meanwhile with waterflooding or natural gas flooding these companies think they will eventually recovery 4 or 5 times that.

When you consider that many of these companies sit on billions of barrels of oil in place the reserve increases over time could be massive.
    Nov 17, 2013. 11:03 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bellatrix Joint Ventures Provide Interesting Data Point For Cardium Acreage Valuation [View article]
    Thanks for the comment.

I'm not sure what to think of their Duvernay acreage at this point. I'm a little concerned it is going to be more dry gas than liquids rich.

Any thoughts on that?

Nov 6, 2013. 03:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Arcan Resources - A Company Transforming Transaction In The Near Future? [View article]
    If LTS thinks Arcan is cheap enough they might consider offering some shares as part of the deal. Trading their cheap equity for an equally cheap Arcan could help deleverage LTS somewhat.

They also already own almost 20% of the company so they don't have to come up with the full purchase price.

I'm sure there are plenty of other creative ways to do the deal that I couldn't think of as well.

I do find it curious how close to $7.30 the LTS share price has been hovering of late....
    Sep 17, 2013. 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That sucks.

One thing I have noticed is that some Arcan insiders have bought the debentures over the past couple of months, so they seem to believe.
    Sep 17, 2013. 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    They didn't sell any shares of Arcan to my knowledge. Do you have a link that shows that they did?

They also couldn't have made a profit selling at $5 since they were buying shares at $5.40.

Sep 16, 2013. 12:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Novus Energy's Sale To Yanchang Petroleum The Best Deal For Shareholders Or For Management? [View article]
    I was disappointed with the price.

What really turned disappointment into something closer to anger was the Calgary Herald article which contained two things.

1) The quote from the analyst about this sale being 35% BELOW the last 7 Viking transactions (that is a big discount)

2) Immediately after that the comment from the Novus CEO who was bragging about how he would be at the helm of the new company which will be a major buyer of oil assets in Canada.

You can't serve us a substandard price and then immediately brag about the new job you get out of the transaction. It leaves a very bad taste..........

Sep 5, 2013. 09:10 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the comment.

If there is a lack of capital going into the sector, then why sell the company at such a poor time?

We have $108 oil, and a company that could continue on just find as an independent operation. If fair offers weren't available then they should have put their heads down and tried again in a couple of years.

With respect to the market, I don't really care what it thinks. Shares of Novus have ranged from $0.65 to $1.18 over the past year. The company meanwhile has had the same assets the entire time. Point being Mr. Market is not a rational fellow.
    Sep 5, 2013. 09:03 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Novus Energy Is For Sale - Here Is A Look At What The Sale Price Might Be [View article]
    $1.18 certainly would have felt a lot better if we hadn't seen the article speculating on $2 deal price.

Doesn't leave a great taste in the mouth, even with a 50% profit from my average cost base.

I need to try and figure out why these assets went for almost 20% less than the property Long Run sold late last year.

Sep 3, 2013. 09:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi,

Not too bothered by it actually.

If there wasn't a deal, the stocks involved wouldn't be halted. Novus would just say that they don't comment on market rumors and carry on.

I suspect the information got leaked by the investment bank in Asia. It looks like the acquirer was in the middle of doing a bond issue to provide the funds for the acquisition. If that hadn't even been completed it certainly isn't a surprise that it is taking awhile.

Not much they can do if there was two weeks worth of work left to do when the news leaked. Tough to cram that into a couple of days.
    Aug 30, 2013. 10:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Don't know what to expect with TriOil. As I wrote there is supposed to be an update by the end of the week:

Fingers crossed on that one as well.
    Aug 28, 2013. 08:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking To Make A Profit By The End Of The Week? Trioil Resources Might Be The Way [View article]
    It would be quite a double up for a week wouldn't it. Big profit on Novus and then a nice realized gain on TriOil as well.

Feels a bit like counting the chickens before they hatch though at this point.......
    Aug 28, 2013. 07:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi, thanks for the comment.

I'm Canadian, so I buy them directly through my broker. Not sure which ones in the States allow you to directly access the Canadian market directly.
    Aug 28, 2013. 07:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.
    Aug 28, 2013. 01:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    They might have been surprised by the news being released. The final papers might even still have to be signed and then a proper press release drafted.

I just hope the dollar amount is accurate.
    Aug 28, 2013. 01:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment