DGI Guy

View DGI Guy's Comments BY TICKER:
  • High Yield + High Growth + Dividend Champion = Purchase Candidates [View article]
    Not a problem. I have been thinking about MCD or KO. Both are a bit beat up. I am liking KO a bit more, but I need it under $38. All of them are winners long term if we can just be patient on the purchase price.

Happy Holidays.
    Dec 25, 2014. 12:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    AFL is easy. If Japan comes back it does well. If Japan continues it will be flat. That is about it (in my opinion). Happy Holidays.
    Dec 24, 2014. 09:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI Portfolio Add: Exxon [View article]
    I don't think it is too late to get in. I think I will be adding to my position in Q1 when we see some weakness. That is just my opinion on where I believe the market is going. It was nice to see the strength of XOM as compared to others in the sector.

Happy Holidays.
    Dec 24, 2014. 01:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for calling out the difference. I pulled the number from the CCC sheet. It compares the Annual Dividend of 2.08 to the TTM Earnings Per Share of 2.18. The 2.08 is the dividend at the current rate multiplied by 4 to get the annual total. Your dividend payout of 3.8M is based on the previous 0.48 cent rate. Everyone calculates it a bit different. The CCC list is calculating a conservative metric. You are calculating the true dollars. Either way, it is a relatively high payout ratio.

Happy Holidays.
    Dec 24, 2014. 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nigekelly:

Thanks for taking a read. I wrote another article, inspired by Chowder, on the p/e topic. Reversion to mean on P/E is a great way to find value and make some money. It is hard to get the year right for all stocks. I use 10 years for articles, but other time frames may be more relevant. For example, you wouldn't want to use 10 years on ABT due to the spin off. Others like KO you might want to pull out some of the overvaluation years.

Happy Holidays.

Link - http://seekingalpha.co...
    Dec 24, 2014. 08:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Some Perspective On Halliburton's Stock Buyback And Business Model [View article]
    Great article. I am long HAL as of the drop a few weeks ago for the value play. It doesn't play into the dividend growth game where I normally shop. Instead, it got too cheap to pass up. With the growth you mentioned and a P/E at 10, it is a no brainer. It is the company that everyone loves to hate, but earnings are going to keep coming in. It may take a couple of years, but it has a good chance at doubling when the sector comes back around. Happy Holidays and thanks for all the hard work you put in to your articles.
    Dec 23, 2014. 09:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike - Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I agree with you on being overweight on oil. When the market presents a great opportunity it is hard not to force yourself to be greedy. AFL is a mixed bag. If Japan ever gets pointed the right direction the dividend and capital appreciation will be there. It is just a question of patience. Right now, the market appears to be offering better opportunities in other areas. Happy Holidays.
    Dec 23, 2014. 09:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dr Pepper Snapple Remains A Stock Of Choice For Dividend Investors [View article]
    I am with jblaze - it looks too rich for my blood. At the end of 2013 it started to take off without the earnings to back it up. At 8% growth I would expect to pay no more than a P/E of 16. DPS has historically traded around 14.5 P/E. Unless I am missing something, I am staying on the sidelines.

It is delicious though. For all of you that hold DPS, you are welcome. I am the guy who is paying your dividends.
    Dec 23, 2014. 09:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for reading Rose. CB is a solid one as well. I just wish the dividend was a little higher. The low beta (0.62) does make it attractive.
    Dec 23, 2014. 04:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Lucky you! I am jealous. The list is good to buy when the price is right.
    Dec 23, 2014. 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Doing Exactly What Warren Buffett Wanted [View article]
    I have mixed emotions on IBM. I want to buy into the idea of the turn around. They have a low payout ratio, decent yield and high dividend growth. That combination is what you want to look for. There is a light at the end of the tunnel it is just a question on if they can achieve their goals with cloud computing. With so many competitors in the space it is going to be interesting to watch.

Following the old logic of 'the trend is your friend', I think you wait for the turnaround to buy in. As this won't be a fast turn around, I think shares get a bit more beat up before they get better. I would consider at a yield over 3%. At some point it gets ridiculous to how cheap it is relative to the FCF growth they achieve.
    Dec 23, 2014. 12:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI Portfolio Add: Exxon [View article]
    I like the position in a bear market, I like the position in a bull market. At 3% yield it is a good time to start a position. If things dip lower, I will be happy to add to my position and dollar cost down. If things turn around then I am happy to dollar cost up as the dividends come in. Either way, the long term investor has to be happy with this entry point.
    Dec 22, 2014. 05:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI Portfolio Add: Exxon [View article]
    For someone looking for a capital appreciation play there might be something there. I do not like the inconsistency of the dividend. I prefer slow and boring.
    Dec 22, 2014. 08:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI Portfolio Add: Exxon [View article]
    All 3 are good picks. I had a good hard look at CVX. I chose the lower beta. CVX does have a significantly higher yield (3.8% vs 3%). I don't think anyone goes wrong with any of the 3 getting in at discount prices.
    Dec 21, 2014. 02:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI Portfolio Add: Exxon [View article]
    Ha - Everyone wants a long pull back so they can get in on some of these sector buys. If only prices would wait around until we have the cash!
    Dec 21, 2014. 01:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment