Dhierin Bechai

View Dhierin Bechai's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Boeing: Is The 777X The Right Plane At The Right Time? [View article]
    You are completely right about that, thanks for spotting the mistake. I will send SA an e-mail to include the correct number.
    Mar 10 10:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Boeing: Is The 777X The Right Plane At The Right Time? [View article]
    Hi,
    First of all I am not a self-purported expert. The reason I did not mention the -9X is because this airplane has no competition at all, while the -8X can compete with the A350-1000. As far as I know both, the -9X and -8X, are scheduled for 2020 (but correct me if I am wrong).
    Mar 7 05:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Airbus A350F The Cargo Airplane Of The Future? (Part 4) [View article]
    You are completely right, phawk. Nothing to add really ;)
    Feb 27 07:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Airbus A350F The Cargo Airplane Of The Future? (Part 4) [View article]
    Thanks for reading!
    Feb 21 05:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Airbus A350F The Cargo Airplane Of The Future? (Part 4) [View article]
    If we are going to talk about projects being over budget, we could take into account the delays and the extra development costs for the A350 as well and look at the A380F (An airplane that never made it further than being a concept).
    I don't think Boeing will give up production after 5 years, given the number of 747-400 cargo airplanes there is a huge opportunity for the 747-8F!
    The Airbus A350-900 will enter service in Q4 2014, the other variants will take even longer to see service entry.... Strong airplane but not yet represented in the market.
    Feb 21 05:42 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Airbus A350F The Cargo Airplane Of The Future? (Part 4) [View article]
    The 747-8 indeed is a great airplane, the fact that part of the developments costs for the wings can be attributed to the 787 project the 747-8 has a lower break even point as well. At this point orders for the 747-8F are not that big, but I expect most of the operators of the 747BCF or 747F to go either for the 747-8F or for the 777 in the coming 1-2 decades.
    Feb 21 05:34 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Airbus Vs. Boeing: Who Has The Airplane Of The Future? (Part 3, Final Part) [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. There are some institutes and companies that have said that they believe supersonic transport might be more viable with today's technology. Some institutes say supersonic travel might happen in the coming century (<- yes, in the coming 100 years), others intend to bring an airplane after 2015. Given that in aerospace a lot of (transonic) airplanes get delayed by almost a decade, I wonder how much delay manufacturers might experience during the development and production of super sonic aircraft. Take into account that when developing such an airplane all tests have to be conducted twice (during sub-, trans-, and super sonic conditions), it requires a lot of engineering power. One of the problems to tackle for instance is vibration modes and heating....
    Additionally transporting trained astronauts to some space station circling around earth is something else than transporting 200-300 people with super sonic speeds.
    One has to look at costs and whether there is a market for super sonic transport in the coming 2-3 decades. So technologically it takes a lot of effort to bring a super sonic aircraft to the market, financially at this stage it might be a disaster...
    Remember that the success of airplanes and manufacturers don't depend on the airplane on its own but rather on the airplane and the demand for the airplane at the time of service entry.
    Feb 7 06:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comment. "Who has the airplane of the future?" is a question that can be asked and re-answered every 1-2 decades as Airbus and Boeing are pushing each other to come up with more (fuel) efficient airplanes. Additionally you can ask the same question for every market segment.
    As the A350 family is positioned between the 787 and 777 you can't just say whether the A350 is indeed the airplane of the future or not, one has to look at the A350 variants (stretched and shrunken variants) and compare them with their Boeing counterpart, so there is not really an airplane that you can point at being 'the airplane of the future'. But one can point out some airplanes and say 'that airplane has a very good chance of becoming one of the popular aircraft in the coming 2 decades'. For the 777-300ER, 777-8X, A350-900 and 787-9 this is the case, for the 787-10 I am not quite sure.
    In this article I focussed on the wide body market as most 'movement' is being made there in recent years (introduction of the 787, A350 and the 777X in a few years and freighters for the 777 and A330).
    On the single aisle market the planes to look at are the 737MAX and the A320neo, there are not a lot more planes. There are some airplanes that can 'eat away the underside of the 737/320 market. For now Airbus is leading when it comes to orders for single aisle airplanes. The airplane market is incredibly big as you stated, that is why for this series I focussed on the widebody market (although that is a very big market to cover as well) and came up with 3/4 aircraft of which I think will perform well. I could do a similar thing for the single aisle market as well. The battle between Boeing and Airbus on the single aisle market will be fierce since almost 25000 new airplanes are needed by 2032 in that segment. Might be interesting to cover in a future article....
    Feb 7 05:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comment hickox5050.
    The main reason why the 777X is missing from the analysis is that the 777-8X is a replacement for the 777-300ER while I already said in the article that I think that the 777-300ER is a winner over the A350-1000. I slightly touched the upcoming competition from the 777-8X, but didn't go in to any detail there as the article is already quite long.
    Another reason why the 777X is not added is because this article series was already written before the 777X was officially launched, I just retouched the numbers and added some remarks here and there to get it up2date. I could have decided to add the 777X into the comparison as well and maybe it would have been a wiser decision to do so indeed to come to a more complete article series and split this article into 2 parts.
    I am planning on adding an article covering the 777X and draw some conclusions on how I think they might affect the orders for the A350, but considering the strong backlog for the 777-300ER and the fact that the 777-8X is an improvement over the 300ER I don't expect the 350-1000 to become a better airplane than the 777-8X :-) I hope this explains it enough...
    Feb 6 09:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Airbus Vs. Boeing: Who Has The Airplane Of The Future? (Part 2) [View article]
    Thanks for your comment and support.
    Jan 31 03:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your commnent. To be honest I really don't know what to do with comments like these, as in my opinion they lack a sense of professionalism (maybe even respect). Airbutt.... ? Comments like these don't add anything to the meaningful and thoughtful discussion that take place in the comment section, a discussion that I highly value since I learn from it as well.

Putting that aside I will try to answer your comment. If I were an European airlines I would buy a Boeing airplane, since their list prices are lower than Airbus'. Now talking about illegally subsidized developments and productions: the WTO judged that both Boeing and Airbus received billions of illegal subsidy. One should take into account that Boeing has found a great partner in the US government in its early years, without the incredibly large and often unneeded orders from the US government, Boeing might not have been here today or atleast not as big as it is.

In the end the whole subsidy-story is a complex one... What is less difficult is judging the quality of the products both airplane manufacturers produce. In the end I am an aerospace engineer, not a financial lawyer or accountant.

As an airplane passenger one should value the duopoly Boeing and Airbus have.
    Jan 31 12:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comment. I have flown both Airbus and Boeing, but the numbers of flights on a Boeing is higher. From what I recall the Airbus interior wasn't bad either.
    Jan 31 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    with 'derivates' I meant derivatives.
    Jan 30 10:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comment. Airbus indeed kept refining the A330-300, to some extent this is good as it kept order for the airplane pouring in. But it also heavily squeezed the -8 (the Airbus A330-300 is a strong competitor for its successor). So if Airbus decides to drop the -8 in favour of the neo, one can also question how many companies are willing to ditch their refined A330-300 in favour of the neo at this point... I think that whatever route Airbus will take -8 or neo, they won't beat Boeing on it.
    Jan 30 10:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I will come with an overall conclusion to answer that question (or at least give my opinion) in Part 3 or 4. But for now I tend to say that the Airbus A350-900 looks very promising, its derivates (the -8 and -10) not so.
    But more indepth conclusions will be drawn in my conclusive article.
    Jan 30 10:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment